Favorite Mr. Whittaker

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Who is Whit to you?

Hal Smith
39%
Paul Herlinger
61%
Andre Stojka
No votes

Total votes: 18

Bren
Be positive!

Favorite Mr. Whittaker

Post by Bren »

Who do you see as the real Mr. Whittaker? Growing up, I had no clue that Hal Smith had passed away 2 years after I was born. But we'd had Hal as Whit for about 7 years when he passed, so when I got into Odyssey around age 5-6, Hal episodes are what dominated the airwaves. Hal brought such a warmth to the character that you can't just duplicate. He did have quite the grandfatherly feel to him. However, even to this day, I can listen to episodes like The Search For Whit and Home, Sweet Home and still get chills down my spine to hear Paul Herlinger address Eugene and Connie for the first time. At first I thought Andre would really struggle to fit into the role but he's starting to shape Whit in his own way to where even episodes like Life Expectancy just feel right.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Countess
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Countess »

Hmm, this is a tough question, because undoubtedly Hal Smith really formed the character of Mr. Whittaker. But I guess I always connected more with Paul Herlinger. Perhaps cause he was around for my favorite period in Odyssey time, and his journey with Eugene and Connie and the rest of Odysseians really covered a lot of experiences.
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

Countess wrote:Hmm, this is a tough question, because undoubtedly Hal Smith really formed the character of Mr. Whittaker. But I guess I always connected more with Paul Herlinger. Perhaps cause he was around for my favorite period in Odyssey time, and his journey with Eugene and Connie and the rest of Odysseians really covered a lot of experiences.
I agree; I've always felt more of a connection with Paul's Whit than with Hal or Andre.
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I started listening during the Hal Smith era and always loved his warmth and laughter and all that he brought to the character. Paul Herlinger did an amazing job and I have nothing to say against his portrayal (just the opposite, really) but I still have to go with Hal Smith if I have to choose.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Hal and Paul are a tie for me! But I went with Hal Smith because he was the original and initially made the character what he is.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

There is always going to be bias that gives extra points to the first one a person heard, and to the original regardless of if they were the first one a person heard or not, so my vote goes to Hal Smith. \:D/

Paul was a *very* close match for Hal's voice, but he never had quite the warmth and chuckle and curious old man "Ohh?" that Hal had. Very good job and a remarkable soundalike, but just not *quite* there. A little more tired sounding, too, maybe? If I'm not mistaken (and I could be because I'm not taking the time to look it up), Paul Herlinger had done voice work previously, but primarily as a narrator, not as an actor--so maybe that explains it to some extent.

Andre took a while to grow on me, but I like him now. He brings back some of the warmth from Hal, but doesn't quite have the voice in the same way Paul did.
WatchaCall
Animatronic

Post by WatchaCall »

Hal Smith, who also was a mighty fine "Otis" back in the day.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Oh goodness I feel young. :lol:

Paul was almost my grandfather since he was the Whit I grew up on, the fact is I didn't listen to many of Hal's episodes until I was older.

His voice might not have seemed as warm, though it was more life-like in my opinion. Even though he had faults before, it was during his emotional moments when he became very real to me. Hal and Andre are great actors, or were. I suppose I latched on to Paul's humour mostly, and the way he handled the spiritual battles during the Novacom saga.
Maybe it is the adventures he found himself on...when I listen to any episode with Andre or Hal though, it's not the same. I'm not thrown into Nostalgia or ushered into a small town soda shop. When I listen to episodes with them it's wonderful, and I love it. There's an obvious difference though and I don't think anyone would expect I would become as attached as I did to Paul's Whit. I apologise for ranting.

Also, it seems that Andre and Townsend sound similar sometimes...has anyone else noticed this?
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset