30th Birthday Bash

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Bren
Be positive!

30th Birthday Bash

Post by Bren »

In this latest blog post from The Odyssey Scoop we learn that the 30th birthday bash will take place on a Disney cruise to the Bahamas. Sure, that's where Mary Barclay wanted to go for vacation, but this whole thing sounds weird to me. Maybe things are evolving and this is the next site of the ToO or SS convention.
Breaking News: Mickey and Minnie Mouse to get relationship advice from a devout Christian with national security clearance.

What do you think of this new live show approach?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

Hahahaha haahahhahahaha

Hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah

Sorry I couldn't hear you over the sound of my laughter at focus for thinking this was a good idea.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I'm very disappointed because it's very unlikely that I'll be able to go. Not saying it couldn't happen, but things don't look too promising. I've been looking forward to their 30th for the last 5 years, especially since I didn't get to go to the show in Texas. So this is very distressing. =[

I just wonder how many people will actually be able to afford something like this. :-k But maybe we need to wait until there is more official announcements about it, there might be extra details we don't know about.

All I do know is... getting to go on the Disney Dream would be exactly that, a dream. *SIGH* It sounds really cool though, I mean, this is pretty huge for AIO/Focus when you think about it.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

I don't know... this may not be a horrible thing. The main thing I see is that this is a Focus event, not an AIO one. Focus is having a few day "Family cruise." I'm sure many families have glanced longingly at Disney cruises but noticed the price tag and moved on. But, Focus wants to (I know this isn't a good dichotomy to have, but I guess I'll use it) have a "Christian" Disney cruise, in which families can both enjoy Disney fun, and "Christian" and family fun. Which, kinda makes sense, especially to the target audience of Focus. The cost issues are still there, but this is what Focus decided.

That leads to the AIO anniversary, which honestly seems like more of a side event, rather than a focal one. Maybe I'm just reading this wrong, though, since AIO has been a somewhat major part of Focus in general.... I agree this is disappointing, but it makes sense that if Focus is going to have a big event, AIO would be worked into it.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Yep, totally agree with you there, Ox. And you are reading into it right, this is a Focus anniversary centered thing with Odyssey mixed in. That kinda makes me sad though, because it seems they are just tossing the live show in there and not really giving it it's own spotlight (if you know what I mean), though having an AIO show on a cruise ship is pretty spectacular. I just.. dunno if they are giving Odyssey it's own thing.. *doesn't know if she is making sense*

However, I wonder how many AIO fans it will inhibit from attending due to the nature of the location. AIO fans that probably would have traveled to the show if it weren't a cruise. But I can't say for sure, who knows, maybe they will actually get a lot of Odyssians going (specifically for the AIO Live Show).
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

It's hard enough for people to get to go to a live show, and this just makes it even worse. Like snubs I was looking forward to the next ToO convention at the next live show, but that's definitely not going to happen now, so now I don't know when I'll see anybody...

Also, I made these when I first heard this:

StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hmm, interesting. I'm definitely surprised, but I'm sure a lot of thought went into this. I probably won't be able to attend, but there are no guarantees I would have been able to make it to anything else that was planned either.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Yeah, this is patently ridiculous. Perhaps though, as you guys pointed out, the fact that this is clearly a Focus-centric event means that there will still be a regular Live Show performance apart from the cruise. I feel like it makes sense. Thanks, Dan, for giving us memes to express the absurdity of this situation.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:Perhaps though, as you guys pointed out, the fact that this is clearly a Focus-centric event means that there will still be a regular Live Show performance apart from the cruise.
Yeah, that's what I'm kinda feeling/thinking.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Forgive me for bumping an old topic, but I had to throw in my two cents here. I've always said that I don't care what continent the live bash happens on, I'll be there.

But.....I'm not going on a Disney cruise, by myself, a 31 year old single man. Yikes. Yep, gonna have to sit this one out.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I'm volunteering with AIO/Focus to help promote their 30th anniversary and OAClub, and as I was talking with the intern interviewing me she kept referring to the cruise and 30th birthday bash as two separate things.

Soooo, though I'm not 100% certain, my senses are telling me yes, they will be having a live show on the cruise BUT, I'm thinking they might be having a separate show/birthday bash elsewhere. So lets just keep our fingers crossed and not judge things too prematurely until more information is revealed.

I just hope they start revealing more info soon..
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

The AIO ambassador idea sounded like fun. I haven't signed up yet because I'm not sure of how much time commitment would be needed and if it would cost me anything. Did they give you any info on this, snubs?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Peachey Keen wrote:The AIO ambassador idea sounded like fun. I haven't signed up yet because I'm not sure of how much time commitment would be needed and if it would cost me anything. Did they give you any info on this, snubs?
I'm going to be promoting through my fan page (which shouldn't require any more time than what I already spend on posting content), and she said they would be giving me pre-made things to share.

As for the time commitment for promoting locally, I don't know. They'll be calling me back in the next couple weeks, so I want to ask them about it. Because they could just be giving you a printable flyer of some sort that YOU have to print. *shrugs*

Since you are interested, I would go ahead and apply. As Focus told me (when I emailed them for more info), you're application does not obligate you to serve or volunteer; it simply allows their staff to get back with you.
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

Reviving this old thread...
I'll be on the cruise! Are any of you coming, too? Hope to see you there!
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, that's awesome! Unfortunately, I won't be there (even though I would like to be - my work schedule isn't flexible, so I knew the second I saw the dates I couldn't go) but I really want to hear about the cruise and live show and everything! :D Make sure you tell us all about it!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

What's the deal with cruises? DC Talk's first reunion concert after 20 billion years was on a dumb cruise ship, too. :(
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

The Top Crusader wrote:What's the deal with cruises? DC Talk's first reunion concert after 20 billion years was on a dumb cruise ship, too. :(
"Dumb cruise ship"? You kidding?!?
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I agree with Top. :yes: Any cruise pertaining to AIO that I can't attend automatically makes it a dumb cruise ship.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

I knew right when it was announced for the first time I wouldn't be able to go, and I'm a little surprised at disappointed I still am. :( A chance to meet and hang with the actors and writers for...a week?!
I'm really excited to hear more of the Live show, though, and when it'll be released.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

From what I've been seeing from the cast on Facebook they're having a blast.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.