Sad news - Alan Young dead at 96

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Sad news - Alan Young dead at 96

Post by Catspaw »

I was just on the IMDB and noticed a top headline with much sadness - Alan Young, loved by AIO fans as the voice of Jack Allen, has died at the age of 96. :( This article has a nice summary of his life and work, though it doesn't mention AIO. I'm so glad that they had him on AIO one last time a couple of years ago so we could hear Jack one more time!
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

NOOOOOOO. :( this makes me sad. Jack Allen is my favorite AIO character.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I was saddened to hear this news today as well. =[ Jack Allen is my all time favorite AIO character (alongside Whit). He was such an amazing actor, and (I think) one of the only actors from Odyssey to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Here is the blog post the OdysseyScoop did on him.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I am so very sorry to hear this. Jack was a favorite of mine, second to Whit.
Last edited by Laurie on Sat May 21, 2016 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

I posted this on my facebook, my eulogy as it were.
Actor Alan Young, passes away. Growing up I loved his work, not just from the amazing Mr. ED, but more importantly from his vocal work on Adventures in Odyssey, voicing Jack Allen the local antiques dealer, his humble spirit and kind advice, mixed with his past that he wasnt perfect made the perfect character and Young was always on point. He was especially perfect when he tried to bring Regis Blaagard to Christianity during the final conflict, or in a question about tasha when he shares his past and his wife was not a Christian. Anways. God Bless ALAN Young, thank you for impacting my life.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

A lot of the legends of the acting industry that have been associated with AIO have passed on. We've lost Hal, Parley Baer, Kenneth Mars, Walker Edmiston, Dave Madden, Paul Herlinger, and now Alan young. Very few of the major legends are still with us.

From oldest to youngest:
Janet Waldo
Will Ryan
Andre Stokja
Earl Boen
Townsend Coleman
Kimmy Robertson
Katie Leigh
Jess Harnell
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

snubs wrote:I was saddened to hear this news today as well. =[ Jack Allen is my all time favorite AIO character (alongside Whit). He was such an amazing actor, and (I think) one of the only actors from Odyssey to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Here is the blog post the OdysseyScoop did on him.
Thanks for sharing the blog post, snubs. I would have guessed that Jack was in more than 91 episodes. That is a lot of episodes, but because he was part of AIO for so many years, and in such pivotal ways, it feels like even more.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

One of our viewers (of the Oddcast) posted this article on our page, that he wrote.
http://www.animationscoop.net/alan-youn ... -remember/
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That's a very nice article as well! Thanks for sharing the link, Leonard. It's nice to see that his life and legacy are being discussed.
Bradness
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by Bradness »

I loved the character of Jack Allen. Alan also played many other great characters.
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Did you just say 96? What a great guy!

At least he lived a full life and is in the arms of the Lord.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.