Novacom Saga - Retrospect / Random thoughts

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Novacom Saga - Retrospect / Random thoughts

Post by rickyderocher »

Random thoughts / retrospect of the Novacom Saga

*Some ideas could have been more developed
- Whit's stance against Novacom's "bad TV programming"
- The whole concept of mind control / the media's influence
- maybe the whole "cultural war" concept is too deep for AIO, but the above could have been more developed / delved into

*There is no real reason given why Novacom / the Chairman wanted to take over the world. Ultimately we're left with - "because it's there" / "taking over the world is fun" James Bond villain idea - as it is the only thing that is really presented

*I always thought that revealing the prayer meeting during Tom Riley's trial to be kind of awkwardly presented - not that prayer is a bad thing of course - but it almost like the writers realized that after 30+ episodes they hadn't done too much spiritual and kind of slapped it in there last moment

*Actually, I've always thought the entire sequence of Tom Riley's trial to be kind of a cheesy way to deal with / reveal loose ends involving Novacom at that point.

*Most of the Novacom Saga was released during a very interesting time in American history - IE the directly post 9/11 period. It is interesting to think what the writers could have addressed should they have tackled the issue of 9/11 on the show, but they decided to skip it entirely most likely due to it being in the subject of "too recent / too intense" to deal with.

*Maybe this sounds cruel, but it would have better if Mitch really did die, it would have shown that sometimes people really do die for what they believe in --which would have been a nod to real world 9/11 events going on without having to directly mention it, IE NYC firefighters / the passengers aboard Flight 93 -- and would have avoided some of the awkward post Novacom "let's find a way to ditch Mitch" episodes.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

You're right, Mitch dying would have made him look better and be less out of character (in my opinion) than dropping Connie like a hot potato and disappearing to Budapest. (I guess she didn't mean THAT MUCH to him :roll: )

I liked Mitch, but I think at the end he just flipped into a real flake.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

The problem with Mitch is that he was originally designed as a potential boyfriend for Connie, and along the way, he got morphed into a "cool hero" guy for the Novacom saga, and once the saga was over, there really wasn't a reason for him to be there.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

rickyderocher wrote:The problem with Mitch is that he was originally designed as a potential boyfriend for Connie, and along the way, he got morphed into a "cool hero" guy for the Novacom saga, and once the saga was over, there really wasn't a reason for him to be there.
Mmhm. I haven't heard it better said. =D>

Even as he was the potential boyfriend, he was almost too perfect, and I know Kathy modelled him after her ideal man, though that isn't realistic.

In the episode titled "Exit" Mitch rescuing Connie just seemed...a little much. It's not that I'm always against the man being the strong capable one, though it's happened before in "Waylaid in the Windy City." Connie in trouble, being sassy, yet not able to outsmart her captors. I'd like to think she is more than a soda jerk, more than the girl who jumps to conclusions. :) Speaking of the episode in Novacom, perhaps it would not have been as cliche if Nick rescued her or she was the one to rescue Mitch instead. The situation was excepted. I feel slightly terrible for criticizing Odyssey...sorry if I sound harsh.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset