Odyssey Assessment

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Bren
Be positive!

Odyssey Assessment

Post by Bren »

As we get closer to 2017, we inch our way closer to 30 years of Advenures in Odyssey. A lot has happened in that last 30 years. The show has been shaped by many events. Writing staff changes and the passing of legends in the acting business have affected the landscape of the show. I'm kind of curious how everyone feels about the show now.

I think Kathy is starting to struggle with writing for the show. I used to be really interested in the Wooton and Penny angle. However, when the mantle of that storyline was removed from Paul McCusker, I think it lost a little magic. I hate to say it, but if you compare the writing for Penny and Wooton with Connie and Mitch, I don't think it measures up. Maybe it's just the type of characters that they are but it just doesn't add up.

Wooton himself seems to have a rollercoaster of a life. I think compared to his introduction in Novacom and his stint with Grady, he seems to have changed a lot. He has a sweet side with Penny, but he needs to stay at his roots of caring for people and not be too over the top wacky. When you put him and Penny together, the wackiness could be overkill.

Connie and Eugene are kind of in a similar situation in that they are both dealing with teenagers that are handfuls. On the surface the storylines could appear identical. But, if the writers try, they can use Jules and Buck to make Connie and Eugene interesting again. Jules seems like a young Connie. As for Buck, he can bring out a different side of Eugene.

Then there's Whit, our central character. Where does Whit fit into Odyssey these days? It's not like he's been a major focus point lately. With Phil on the team again,I hope his knowledge of Whit and Odyssey changes things.

What do you think?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

Definitely think that Whit is becoming irrelevant to the show as they haven't had any good use for him. I guess I shouldn't say irrelevant, but less centralized in the show and less useful ever since The Ties That Bind.
I just made a note of that in my No Friend Like an Old Friend review on http://odysseynerds.worpdress.com, it seems that Jules is 'the new Connie', and Connie is almost taking Whit's place to Jules. Funny you should mention it.
I also mentioned in my Connie the Counselor review, we had a great opportunity for character development between Eugene and Buck, but Kathy Buchanan didn't use it, which makes me incredibly upset because I do think that a different side of Eugene would be cool.
Right now, as of the second episode of Album 62, I feel like the show is in comeback mode. For me it was meh, from albums 1-10 ish, then great around 10-32, etc. etc. It's always been that way. We got the Green Ring, then meh again, then The Ties that Bind, and then meh again, and now I feel like we're coming back.
Yo