Agnes Riley

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Bren
Be positive!

Agnes Riley

Post by Bren »

What do you guys think happened to Agnes Riley? We know Jo isn't around these days.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Agnes was named to Education Secretary in the Trump administration. :(
Kathy0
OK

Post by Kathy0 »

I tend to think she passed away.
Now that we know for sure that Tom passed away several years ago.
I think its safe so say she did pass away. :boohoo:
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

Oh, I never even thought of this! :oops: She probably did pass away, it's so sad though that
they couldn't/didn't find a different actor for Tom so they just took him off :assault:
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Parakeet wrote:Oh, I never even thought of this! :oops: She probably did pass away, it's so sad though that
they couldn't/didn't find a different actor for Tom so they just took him off :assault:
I will have to agree with this, as difficult as it may be to imagine. Frankly, I'd be miffed if they wrote her into an episode sometime in the future.
We know it's been a few years since Tom's passing, if the writers intended to keep her around, though if she wasn't in many episodes, they would have mentioned his wife. Even if they wanted the characters to be involved in a mystery of sorts, as they often do with older, widowed characters, there is no reason for her return, it'd just confuse everyone.
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

That's more or less what I said in the SS thread :( Yeah if they put her in a new album that would be just wrong.
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
Calhoun07
Not as new

Post by Calhoun07 »

This thread brings up something I've contemplated for a long time:

Why doesn't this show just deal with the age and the passing of time in a somewhat realistic way? Obviously, some of the characters remain as ageless as characters do in The Simpsons, but even The Simpsons dealt with death from time to time.

And even Sesame Street decided to deal with Will Lee's death by having his character Mr. Hooper die on the show.

I realize for a main character like Whit it would be hard for the show much like the Simpsons losing Homer, so they have recast him.

But I kind of wish the show would feature episodes that dealt with the passing of their characters. Now, I haven't listened to every single episode yet, there may be some that do, but from topics like this, I get the feeling they don't. I never heard them do it.

I think if any show could handle it well, it would be this one.
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Calhoun07 wrote: Why doesn't this show just deal with the age and the passing of time in a somewhat realistic way? Obviously, some of the characters remain as ageless as characters do in The Simpsons, but even The Simpsons dealt with death from time to time.
Calhoun, it's good to see you posting. :) You brought up something I was thinking about recently, and have sort of theorized.

Adventures in Odyssey is a radio drama and uses voice actors, just like the Simpsons. Though since it is intended to be family friendly, I suppose they'd rather deal with less deaths. These characters are iconic and play major roles in the show, so when the actors die, the writers feel as if they can't let go of the character and search out another actor who could pass for the original. This hasn't always been the case, only for a few, and I can only think of Whit and Tasha Forbes at the moment.
"The Legacy," in the newly released album 62 does cover the death of Tom Riley, and while I've been avoiding listening to it, fans have said it's quite emotional.
Calhoun07 wrote: I think if any show could handle it well, it would be this one.
I agree. Bernard has disappeared mysteriously and I fear Jack and Joanne have fallen off the face of the earth...
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I know that, according to the Official Guide, one of the story ideas they had for Album 50 was Tom dealing with Agnes' last days and trying to make the most of the time he had left with her. That would have been a very emotional episode and give closure to Agnes' character.
It would have brought even more closure for Tom in Legacy.