Dated episodes

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Calhoun07
Not as new

Dated episodes

Post by Calhoun07 »

I think a lot of the episodes from the series are timeless.

But, as with any long running series, there will be exceptions.

Off the top of my head, the Castles And Cauldrons two parter is certainly dated. Whether or not you like the game the episode is based on, which is personal preference, it certainly can be said now that the concern that Dungeons and Dragons was demonic in nature was unfounded and all hype.

Fun fact, the creator of the game, Gary Gygax, was actually a Republican-then later a Libertarian- and a Christian. Dave Arneson, also a co-creator of the game, was a devout Christian as well, and was said to have been a loyal friend and "had that rare quality among people that he could be truly happy for his friends." (From his online memorial.)

What other episodes can you think of that seem dated after all these years?
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

The Blackgaard saga was wonderful in many ways, but the one thing that strikes me about its earlier episodes is that the writing staff at the time didn't know a lot about technology. It was passable when addressing a captive and uninformed audience, but a bit cringeworthy to those 'in the know'. Now pretty much everyone knows the basics of computers and electronic gadgets and that "that's not how it works", and the episodes suffer a little for it. (That said, by Darkness before Dawn they seemed to be basically up to par.)
Calhoun07
Not as new

Post by Calhoun07 »

Bob wrote:The Blackgaard saga was wonderful in many ways, but the one thing that strikes me about its earlier episodes is that the writing staff at the time didn't know a lot about technology. It was passable when addressing a captive and uninformed audience, but a bit cringeworthy to those 'in the know'. Now pretty much everyone knows the basics of computers and electronic gadgets and that "that's not how it works", and the episodes suffer a little for it. (That said, by Darkness before Dawn they seemed to be basically up to par.)
There are also a lot of 90s movies that are quite dated and invoke a feeling of "that's not now that works" when you go back and watch those, either.

That issue seems to have plagued a lot of 90s projects in different media forms.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Along with the first Blackgaard saga... and even years later when Whit had gone and Jason and Jack were running Whit's End (and even some random Jimmy Barclay episodes mentioning Zap-a-Zoids), the references to arcades is kind of funny. I mean, yes, technically speaking arcades do still exist, but back at the time of the original Blackgaard saga the idea of a stand alone arcade "Blackgaard's Castle" was perfectly plausible, as that kind of thing was all over the place. A lot of kids these days probably have no idea what that's all about. :mecry:
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

We do if we have seen Wreck-it Ralph. \:D/

There's the obvious mentions of pagers (which I still have no idea what they are), "cellular phones", computers that sound like dying factories, etc. But in general I've just accepted they take place years ago, not today. I suppose that's not the point here, but still. =p
Mariogeek
Tallying up

Post by Mariogeek »

Certainly, some of the episodes can feel like the old series of MacGyver, where things just magically work because they came up with a complicated enough explanation. One of those that certainly reminds me of this is Novacom, though the novelty of it will never wear off. What if Novacom had taken over Apple Watches instead!?!? Let's make a new one!
Yo
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

The Eugene - Bernard road trip is dated now. No one in Odyssey could contact them because they did not know how to contact them and where they were . With cell phones and email the way it is now, plus social media, it is a lot easier to contact people now.

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That's a great example, Jimmy Barclay Fan. I actually think that about a lot of older books and movies - there are oodles of plot lines that would be totally moot with the existence of a cell phone. It doesn't make it bad because at the time they didn't exist, but it does make you think, "That wouldn't happen these days!"
GJ
Pilgrim

Post by GJ »

Catspaw wrote:That's a great example, Jimmy Barclay Fan. I actually think that about a lot of older books and movies - there are oodles of plot lines that would be totally moot with the existence of a cell phone. It doesn't make it bad because at the time they didn't exist, but it does make you think, "That wouldn't happen these days!"
And so the things that happened had to canonically occur more than two decades ago, if we're omitting the use of cellular devices completely. Ay ay ay.
Catspaw, I have never seen the word moot before, I like it. :)
"To know whether truth is actually true or just an imposter, give it some licorice." -Wooton Basset
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

GJ wrote:
Catspaw wrote:That's a great example, Jimmy Barclay Fan. I actually think that about a lot of older books and movies - there are oodles of plot lines that would be totally moot with the existence of a cell phone. It doesn't make it bad because at the time they didn't exist, but it does make you think, "That wouldn't happen these days!"
And so the things that happened had to canonically occur more than two decades ago, if we're omitting the use of cellular devices completely. Ay ay ay.
Catspaw, I have never seen the word moot before, I like it. :)
Yes, I hadn't really thought about it quite that way, but you're right - it forces a timeline in a show where time has passed pretty slowly at times. ;)

Yay for learning a new word! :D I love learning a new word, because it always seems like I see and hear it a lot of places afterwards and adding to your vocabulary is always fun. :yes:
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I'll say the same not about moot, but oodles--never actually heard/seen someone use it before \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Did someone say "the"? What's that?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The Top Crusader wrote:Did someone say "the"? What's that?
The newest word in the dictionary, indeed :yes:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Marvin D. wrote:I'll say the same not about moot, but oodles--never actually heard/seen someone use it before \:D/
Clearly my presence has opened up new worlds to many people here on the ToO! \:D/ I like using "oodles." It's oodles of fun! :yes:

This off-topic discussion actually made me think of an on-topic item - words that used to be in frequent use that aren't anymore. I can't think of a specific AIO example offhand, though I'm sure I'll think of lots when I'm not trying to think of one, but some words fall out of popular use over decades.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I thought it was weird how Whit would use "ham" instead of "wife" some times but I guess that was just the way of talking from those days.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

I've been listening to the Left Behind Audio Series for the first time, and there are many points in that series where they are struggling to get ahold of one another. It's especially glaring since it's supposed to take place in the future.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Don't forget "Nova Rising" and Alex talking about the Internet connection claiming that "it must be one of those high-speed lines". Ah, to have come of age in the era of dial-up...

The mention of the Eugene/Bernard road trip reminds me of this one time when someone posted in the Q&A on the AIOWiki wondering why Connie had so much trouble getting ahold of Eugene and Bernard and I had to explain to them that cell phones didn't see widespread use in the early '90s. Made me feel old and I wasn't even born then. :(
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog