AIO and Catch phrases

what catch phrases would you like to see....er hear

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Living in the midwest I don't know what a midwestern accent sounds like. I think it's what syllables I stress and what not.

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

You should know what your "accent" sounds like even if it sounds normal to you. We all have an accent of some sort and we can tell how it differs when people from other areas talk to us.
I'm really falling in love with the English accent. *dreamy sigh* :)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Actually, I just realized, despite living my whole life in this part of the country, I sound nothing like a midwest person. Every few weeks I get someone who thinks I'm a foriegn exchange student.

-Jonathan
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

In all my travels I have discovered that I don't sound American..........no matter where I go, ppl ask me where my accent is from.........so evidently, it's not an American accent, otherwise I'd eventually find a spot where ppl think it sounds normal and don't ask where it's from.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
One I Froggy
My posts are revolutionary

Post by One I Froggy »

gimp80995 wrote:I think popular lingo is also regional.......I've lived in some places where nearly no one said "that's awesome" or "this is awesome"........then traveld to another region (same country) and nearly everyone said it........same with terms like "Peace Out", "For real", "word up", etc.

The same goes for styles of clothing..........what's popular say in Washington State may not be so in Wisconsion, and what's popular in Wisconsion might not be all that popular in Tennessee......
This is very true. My cousins live only an hour away from me, and they constantly harrass me about not only the way I say certain words, but also the words I choose to say. What they call "soda" I call "pop." And being from Wisconsin, I know a lot of people would say that we drag out our vowels. I am in Forensics at school (and for those who dont know what 4n6 is, its sorta like a speech/debate/interpretive speaking team) and the coach constantly tells us not to talk like we are from WI.

Its also kinda strange how fads travel the country. Some relatives in CA started their obsession with Beany Babys almost a full year before they became popular here.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Slightly . . . :offtopic:

But I need to tell you something . . . I don't got a bellybu--actually, I do.

At the beginning of Veggie Tales' "Bellybutton Song", Junior actually says "Word up!" Just thought I'd point that out. :anxious:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

what was that supposed to mean anyway (since we're on the subject)?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

"Word up?"

It's more of a contemporized version of, "What's up?" :D
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

It's for people who don't know proper English. ;)
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I see..
who thought that up? :-s
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

J-man wrote:I see..
who thought that up? :-s
Now that's a good question...
Someone said it once... then someone else... then someone else...
Then it's been passed around so that all kinds of people are now saying it! :anxious:

Just how DO some fads get stared? :-k
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Fads are started b/c of the desire to come across as 'cool'. I think it's stupid personally.

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

That's true... but how does something little idiosyncracy that one person invents become popular among the masses? :-k