AIO age group?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

AIO age group?

Post by xiao »

What age do you think AIO is aimed towards? I know a few people that like it but I dunno, it seems kind of too "not-serious" for me. I know that sometimes it's funny, but still.

8-[
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

well officailly 8-12 years old...
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

AIO once was aimed towards people aged 8 - 12, but now it marketed as 8+.

However, I think the "kid oriented" shows in the first 10 years of AIO were more accessible by both kids and adults. Unfortunately, while I think that there are still many adult driven shows today (such as the "Something Big" saga we are currently listening to), the "kid oriented" shows of the past several years are not as easy to digest by older fans.

Basically, the shows that are geared for a younger audience these days have too many lame jokes and zany things for them to be accepted by older fans. Gone are the days when Curt had to deal with his father's alcoholism, Donna had to deal with her best friends death, and Jimmy had to go through puberty. The kids in the past dealt with some pretty serious issues and as a result, they felt like real kids. Now, it feels like AIO is just a series of scripted events... a Saturday morning cartoon rather than a window into a real town. It's unfortunate, but it's the way things are.

I still love the show, don't get me wrong, but I definitely think that fewer and fewer shows transcend the age gap these days. So if you think some of the shows don't really appeal to you, maybe try some of the earlier classics. They are filled with a lot less silliness and deal with serious issues in serious ways.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I just wrote something similar at the TH. The older eps spend alot more time in my tape player.

-Jonathan
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Same here.

I find it interesting that in the Odyssey Scrapbook, Chris says, in regard to the target age range, that, "We know we have younger listeners and hope parents stay nearby." It irks me that older fans aren't acknowleged much since it has ceased to be called a "family" show and become totally kid oriented.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I have a lot the same feelings as you Shadowpaw and the examples that you used were the same as mine. I recent ep that I thought did well on both old and young was the Present long ago.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I don't mind some of the "childish" elements like a younger-sounding theme or Chris speaking to younger people. What bothers me is the gross humor like pink underwear and constant bathroom references. We can all have fun without those. =;
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Chandler wrote:I don't mind some of the "childish" elements like a younger-sounding theme or Chris speaking to younger people. What bothers me is the gross humor like pink underwear and constant bathroom references. We can all have fun without those. =;
The problem is that those childish elements are becoming more prevelant.

-Jonathan
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

Shadowpaw wrote:AIO once was aimed towards people aged 8 - 12, but now it marketed as 8+.

However, I think the "kid oriented" shows in the first 10 years of AIO were more accessible by both kids and adults. Unfortunately, while I think that there are still many adult driven shows today (such as the "Something Big" saga we are currently listening to), the "kid oriented" shows of the past several years are not as easy to digest by older fans.

Basically, the shows that are geared for a younger audience these days have too many lame jokes and zany things for them to be accepted by older fans. Gone are the days when Curt had to deal with his father's alcoholism, Donna had to deal with her best friends death, and Jimmy had to go through puberty. The kids in the past dealt with some pretty serious issues and as a result, they felt like real kids. Now, it feels like AIO is just a series of scripted events... a Saturday morning cartoon rather than a window into a real town. It's unfortunate, but it's the way things are.

I still love the show, don't get me wrong, but I definitely think that fewer and fewer shows transcend the age gap these days. So if you think some of the shows don't really appeal to you, maybe try some of the earlier classics. They are filled with a lot less silliness and deal with serious issues in serious ways.
My feelings also. Though I can't really blame them. I mean there are things like someone having their best friend die, going through puberty, dealing with a parent's alcoholism, dealing with a teenage friend's pregnancy, etc that can really only be done once........perhaps twice in a show before it starts getting old (after all those story lines were to teach a lesson, not to simply take up half an hour).

I guess I kinda go back and forth........immediatley after Spring '00 I was with many who said things like "I find reading the tag on my t-shirt more interesting"...........but not too long ago when I heard some of the same split eps (or the few mins of such that I got to hear), they seemed a little better...............still nowhere near the type of show that would have drawn me in as a new listener in my teens..........but not as bad as I originally viewed them.

I think the main problem is AIO's age...........in the good ol' days all the story lines were fresh and unused........but now, 18 yrs later........they have to be reaching trying to find material to work with that they can teach a lesson from that hasn't yet been used.

I guess I can sympathize with them a bit more after spending a while teaching a high-school / college level Sabbath school group.........you really have to work to find material that won't bore the socks off the "kids" cuz they've heard the same stories since kindergarten and they're bored with it............I also found the same thing with my 7th / 8th grade class..........and slightly so in the 4th to 6th gradeers......

AIO started off great (which is, of course, why it's so popular and has people who are on a msg board at 1:50 AM writing about it)........and we all got to hear those great eps first.........and then moved into the era where there's really no material to work with, thus what appears to be eps of lesser quality........we have heard better eps, therefore our expectations are higher, and with the exception of a rare occaion, AIO isn't going to be able to meet those expectations as often as they use to.........it's not that the eps themselves are worse, it's our preception of the eps based on past experience that is making them not as good. (Sorry the psychologist in me wanted to come out for a little while).

I have said before, and still fully believe, that AIO needs to take a long break (after all, we CAN survive on reruns if we really have to..........some of us already do via tapes / CDs / internet)........take a few yrs off, then come back with (and this is my own favorite title) "Adventures in Odyssey: The Next Generation"........then they could revisit some of the same topics / lessons they've done before with completely different kids (and possibly different results........I mean the kids in the old days were a little quicker to learn a lesson than many stubborn, strong-willed kids I see nowdays)........Monty Whittaker-Dowd and Nick (Or Nick and Aubrey) could be the new owners of Whit's End, and all the kids we currently (or previously) knew would then be the adults, and have kids of thier own.............and we'd finally get to find out who Connie married ;).

Taking a break and starting off with the same general show, just changed a bit would make it so it could be new and fresh (even if redoing previous ep's topics)...........if I'm ever in the same area as any of you, you gotta here my sermon on God's control.........I can almost guarantee you haven't heard nothing like it before.......but it's the same old msg that we've heard for years (at least)..........just a different take on it than most ppl use.

Anyway, I've gone into rambling again.

Peace Out

-Gimp
Last edited by gimp80995 on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Jonathan wrote:
Chandler wrote:I don't mind some of the "childish" elements like a younger-sounding theme or Chris speaking to younger people. What bothers me is the gross humor like pink underwear and constant bathroom references. We can all have fun without those. =;
The problem is that those childish elements are becoming more prevelant.

-Jonathan
The latter part yes. Chris has always spoken to the younger children and the theme has been somewhat playful but the other unwanted elements have increased lately. I always think back to what Alan Young said on "500." Something about being able to listen to the show and not feel embarrassed but inspired. I won't listen to new shows around my dad because I'm worried what might be in there. Many shows I haven't played for him because of one or two lines that are too stupid/crude for my tastes. :(
Fenix
The Rich

Post by Fenix »

Shadowpaw and Gimp you guys are only saying that because you guys still listen to a kids show.

Hehehe j/k.

Haha sorry I just had to say that I m 20 and I still listen to AIO. :)
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Fenix wrote:Shadowpaw and Gimp you guys are only saying that because you guys still listen to a kids show.
And your point is.......? ;) j/k

Peace Out

-Gimp

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

I know people ranging in ages from 3 to 61 who enjoy listening to Odyssey. In my office, there are 6 people from 28 - 35 who listen regularly (I'm the 35 year old). My wife is 39 and she loves it too and so do our kids - 11, 9, 7, 5, and 3.

-jolly
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

jollyholiday wrote:I know people ranging in ages from 3 to 61 who enjoy listening to Odyssey. In my office, there are 6 people from 28 - 35 who listen regularly (I'm the 35 year old). My wife is 39 and she loves it too and so do our kids - 11, 9, 7, 5, and 3.

-jolly
Honestly, do you and your wife use your kids as an excuse for still listening to a kids program?

I plan to......when I have kids then they can be my excuse for still listening :) Then when they're grown come grandkids :D to use as the excuse............dude.....me with grandkids.........scary.

Peace Out

-Gimp

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I don't need an excuse \:D/

-Jonathan
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

We don't use our kids as an excuse, we'd listen even if the kids didn't like to.

-jolly
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I use all the "old people" on this message board as an excuse. :lol:
gimp80995

Post by gimp80995 »

Chandler wrote:I use all the "old people" on this message board as an excuse. :lol:
Define "old" :-k

Peace Out

-Gimp

Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

gimp80995 wrote:
Chandler wrote:I use all the "old people" on this message board as an excuse. :lol:
Define "old" :-k

Peace Out

-Gimp
Like you!

Just kidding.... :-
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

The fact that that this is basically all teenagers and up is one definition of old... older than the target age range. A lot of 16+ is helpful as well. :)