A question I really must ask...

About the IS/RoC/TT

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
chexfan2000
Gold Member

A question I really must ask...

Post by chexfan2000 »

Why are the IS and the other "adventure" machines so... not-popular? Not that the kids don't like them, but if such machines existed, there would be a line of kids around Whit's End three times and down the street! I personally would be begging to go in it all the time. Whit would probably kick me out! I mean, this is VIRTUAL REALITY! Sure, it's got a message, but it's cool beyond coolness! Why is it so underappreciated?
popcornqu33n
Gold Member
Location: Outside drinking a cool glass of pepermint lemonade

Post by popcornqu33n »

I have no idea. i have never really thought about that.

Hey you are a Holsteins Bookkeeper too wierd
popcornqu33n
Gold Member
Location: Outside drinking a cool glass of pepermint lemonade

Post by popcornqu33n »

WEll i guess thats not that wierd
chexfan2000
Gold Member

Post by chexfan2000 »

meh. It pays well. Anyway, I'm the only one who's considered this?! :shock:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I've that of that before, too... it's way, way more advanced than any other technology in existance, and the man lets you use it for free! You'd think he'd at least have it set up like an arcade and charge or something. ;)

But yeah... assuming it wasn't declared illegal there would be like trillions of people wanting to use it (and that's somewhat more than the population of the earth).
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

chexfan2000 wrote:Why are the IS and the other "adventure" machines so... not-popular? Not that the kids don't like them, but if such machines existed, there would be a line of kids around Whit's End three times and down the street! I personally would be begging to go in it all the time. Whit would probably kick me out! I mean, this is VIRTUAL REALITY! Sure, it's got a message, but it's cool beyond coolness! Why is it so underappreciated?
I'll answer by asking another question: Wouldn't it get tiresome hearing all that fuss about the IS (something people argue is unrealistic)?

-Jonathan
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

The other thing about the IS and all those virtual reality...it would seem that in the reality that AIO exists in, (Since they obviously aren't in ours.) virtual reality is a very possible technology...and so the attractions at Whit's End could be found in very similar forms elsewhere in their world. Sure it's great and amazing, but if it's something that you've grown up with all of your life...then it would just be the norm, and you would visit the IS only as often as you play video games or something. It would be really neat, but it wouldn't be something that's so cool that you would want to abuse it's technology.

Or that's kinda how I saw it. :D
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

Another thing I have considered..........Perhaps Whit runs one program at a time on the IS..........now obviously we the listeners would get really tired of hearing dozens or hundreds of kids having the same adventure, and the kids probably would only want to go on the same adventure once or twice...............so all the kids in Odyssey could very well go on each new adventure as it comes out..........we just don't hear them.

Then again, Jason had quite a line up for the IS when it APPEARED to heal people with disabilites (not able to walk, blind, etc)...........but that was a different case.

I also agree that it is possible that since the kids in Odyssey have grown up with the IS, then they probably think of it as an everyday thing..........not something to go nuts over like many of us would. I'm sure they appreciate it as well as Whit for allowing them to use it, but it isn't anywhere close to being an "obsession" for them like we think it would be.

ROC......Now that I would expect to be a little more popular.........I mean it'd be cool to be able to go into a machine at any time and see the possible consequences for actions I'm considering doing, rather than having to try to figure out which way I should handle something on my own.

But I'm guessing that Whit only uses the ROC when an Odyssey kid wants to do something that could lead to troubble........not when they're just currious about what various actions will lead to. (Just a guess).

TT......hmmm possible that not many people really have a need to "walk in the other guy's shoes" since it would appear that for the most part, people in Odyssey don't really have that much conflict with other people.

Anyway those are just a few of my guesses at it.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

chexfan2000 wrote:Why are the IS and the other "adventure" machines so... not-popular? Not that the kids don't like them, but if such machines existed, there would be a line of kids around Whit's End three times and down the street! I personally would be begging to go in it all the time. Whit would probably kick me out! I mean, this is VIRTUAL REALITY! Sure, it's got a message, but it's cool beyond coolness! Why is it so underappreciated?
I've thought of this many times too. If something like that existed in real life it wouldn't just sit out in the open in an ice cream shop. :lol:
But it's not real.
So if they are already talking about something that can't yet be done why should they try to make it more "realistic" by having Whit dealing with mad crowds on every show? =;
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

You know, I've wondered about this, too. And the kids never ask to go on an adventure, they're always asked if they want to go.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Frank wrote:only as often as you play video games or something.
That would be all the time. Not exactly a fair analogy in my case.

I believe the IS is popular. We hear it in the backgrounds of many eps. No one makes a big deal about it though.
chexfan2000
Gold Member

Post by chexfan2000 »

Frank wrote:The other thing about the IS and all those virtual reality...it would seem that in the reality that AIO exists in, (Since they obviously aren't in ours.) virtual reality is a very possible technology...and so the attractions at Whit's End could be found in very similar forms elsewhere in their world.
Well, if that's the case, why does everyone try to steal Whit's VR stuff? Why don't they go pick on someone else for a change?
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

I think for the sake of us listeners, the IS's level of popularity is downplayed. My opinion is that the writers want you to focus more on the adventure, the characters, and the lessons around the IS first and foremost. Having lots of people always talking about the technology and stuff would take away from the writers original purpose in creating the IS.
But i agree, in real life, something like that would NOT be free, NOT be in an ice cream shop, and would be famous all over the world.
Sometimes, we do see the materialistic value in the IS, when villains like Blackgaard and Andromeda try to steal it for the technology. It's just not seen in EVERY episode or it would get monotonous.