Something weird about the return of Eugene eps

Something is just a little weird............

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Something weird about the return of Eugene eps

Post by AIO Psyche »

Is it just me, or did anyone else noticed that the name 'Novacom' was never said once during all three parts? Sure, they talked about 'an evil company' and 'an evil corporation', but the name 'Novacom' or 'Andromeda' was never mentioned once. Why?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

They really briefly summarized the Novacom saga, but I guess details weren't important. If people didn't recognize the references (i.e. new listeners) then names wouldn't help them anyway, and the majority of listeners would recognize the storyline right away. What would "Andromeda" mean to Maude? Nothing. How about to the casual new listener? Also nothing. So I guess it was simpler to leave names out.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

But still, the name 'Novacom' or 'Andromeda' would have made the whole thing feel better. After the way they did it, it was almost like it never happen, like they were talking about a tv show they saw once. For me, hearing any one of those two names would have made it better for me. But think about it. You said that the casual listener and new listeners wouldn't have understood the references. Well, if they had never heard AIO before, or only a few times before, then the return of Eugene wouldn't have had much effect either. They wouldn't know him as well.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

AIO PSYCHE wrote:But still, the name 'Novacom' or 'Andromeda' would have made the whole thing feel better. After the way they did it, it was almost like it never happen, like they were talking about a tv show they saw once. For me, hearing any one of those two names would have made it better for me. But think about it. You said that the casual listener and new listeners wouldn't have understood the references. Well, if they had never heard AIO before, or only a few times before, then the return of Eugene wouldn't have had much effect either. They wouldn't know him as well.
I think they left it out b/c the issue at hand was Eugene's mental state, not Novacom.

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I didn't even notice they did that. :-k
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

I didn't notice, too. I knew what they were talking about when they referred to an "evil company", so I didn't question it. Why confuse the return of Eugene with lots of already-known facts about something that happened in the past? "Something Big" has nothing really to do with Novacom/ Andromeda. It has to do with Eugene.

Dave
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

How hard would it have been for the writers to replace 'an evil company' with 'Novacom'?
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

What if Maude really wasn't familiar with Novcom? You get the impression that she and Bernard don't talk much. :-s
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Chandler wrote:What if Maude really wasn't familiar with Novcom? You get the impression that she and Bernard don't talk much. :-s
Did Bernard know a lot about Novacom?
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

He worked for them.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

But he seemed rather clueless. Working at Novacom for a couple days doesn't make him an expert on the whole Andromeda conspiracy.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

Chandler wrote:He worked for them.
Good point. I still say that we should have heard the name Novacom.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

AIO PSYCHE wrote:
Chandler wrote:He worked for them.
Good point. I still say that we should have heard the name Novacom.
And I say we should'nt of. Whit probably mentioned them when we explained it to everyone (we didn't hear that though). Bernard is Bernard, he wasn't going to be specific. This was about Eugene, not Novacom.

It's my guess (judging from what you said during those long 8 weeks) that you were expecting something to do with Novacom. But this was about Eugene. Sure, it relates to Novacom, but that wasn't the focus.

All this to say, I don't have a problem with the lack of Novacomness in these eps.

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Catspaw wrote:But he seemed rather clueless. Working at Novacom for a couple days doesn't make him an expert on the whole Andromeda conspiracy.
Certainly not, but you think Maude might've heard about Novacom when he was working there. :-$
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

Jonathan wrote:All this to say, I don't have a problem with the lack of Novacomness in these eps.

-Jonathan
I think that it would have tied it all up! Really, when you get right down to it, Novacom was responsible for Eugene's memory loss. They were the ones who wanted the whole radio to brainwaves thing researched and developed. If not for that, Eugene won't have left us for, like, FIVE YEARS, and he wouldn't have lost his memory. So I think that since this was Novacom related, Novacom should have been mentioned, or shown up in a small way. I still say that Foster is working for Novacom/Andromeda/the Chairman.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

AIO PSYCHE wrote:
Jonathan wrote:All this to say, I don't have a problem with the lack of Novacomness in these eps.

-Jonathan
I think that it would have tied it all up! Really, when you get right down to it, Novacom was responsible for Eugene's memory loss. They were the ones who wanted the whole radio to brainwaves thing researched and developed. If not for that, Eugene won't have left us for, like, FIVE YEARS, and he wouldn't have lost his memory. So I think that since this was Novacom related, Novacom should have been mentioned, or shown up in a small way. I still say that Foster is working for Novacom/Andromeda/the Chairman.
But it was mentioned in a small way: "an evil corporation". Wasn't that enough? Most fans listening immediatly knew what that was and the AIO team knew that, and didn't rehash old details.

I'm sure we will learn more later, but I still don't see the problem.

-Jonathan
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

Jonathan wrote:But it was mentioned in a small way: "an evil corporation". Wasn't that enough? Most fans listening immediatly knew what that was and the AIO team knew that, and didn't rehash old details.

I'm sure we will learn more later, but I still don't see the problem.

-Jonathan
It would have been more ominous if they had actually mentioned the company Novacom. Or Andromeda. Or even the Chairman. Why not mention the company that was responsible for everything that happened? That would be like Whit saying to somebody, "We once had this guy who created this deadly thing, and he could have killed the entire world. And this guy had a business titled something Castle." It just makes no sence to not mention the company directly responsble for causing the character that the ep was about to leave.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

AIO PSYCHE wrote:It would have been more ominous if they had actually mentioned the company Novacom. Or Andromeda. Or even the Chairman. Why not mention the company that was responsible for everything that happened?
I disagree again. If they were ready to bring the saga back, then yes, mention them. The chairman had nothing to do with this.

-Jonathan
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

He did too! He was over the whole scheme! He was over the whole RWS thing. He caused Eugene to run.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

AIO PSYCHE wrote:He did too! He was over the whole scheme! He was over the whole RWS thing. He caused Eugene to run.
But he didn't have anything to do with what the episode was dealing with. After Andromeda had been picked apart by the FBI (food based intelligence is what I'll think of from now on) and Eugene and Katrina got word it was safe, they came out of hiding and went to DC, where Eugene lost his memory b/c of his own rash actions. The Chairman was forced into hiding long before Eugene lost his memory. Sure, the Chairman's actions played a part in puttin Eugene on the road he was on, but he didn't have anything to do with this ep.

Have you noticed you and I seem to argue a lot about Novacom type things?

-Jonathan