Which Actor's Face Matches his voice the best?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Alan Young
63%
Walker Edmiston
19%
Will Ryan
4%
Katie Leigh
4%
Paul H
4%
Hal Smith
7%

Total votes: 27

rachelavonlea
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by rachelavonlea »

I think Alan Young's face matches Jack Allen's completely. I could not imagine anyone else better suited to his voice. He is Jack!

Conversely it is none other than Will Ryan whose face doesn't suit his voice as Eugene. BTW, I hate how his cartoon character hair is always in his face!

This is somewhat on topic: Rodney's voice actor doesn't look like (according to me) his voice either. Way back when I heard the camera salesman in Candid Camera describe him as, " tall, dark and kinda reptilian looking, ya know?" My sister and I were shocked at how his description matched our imagination!

looking forward to your thoughts,

R.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I voted Walker Edmiston. For years I had a vivid image of what Tom looked like in my imagination, and was pleasently surprised when I first saw a picture of Walker and saw that the two matched.

Walker as Bart, however, is a whole different story.

-Jonathan
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Do you know where there are some pictures of them?
rachelavonlea
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by rachelavonlea »

There are many different sources, but for one good one of most of the characters listed above try: http://www.odysseyscoop.com/actors/walker_edmiston.htm
-Rachel

"The victory is mine when the battle is the Lord's!"
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

it's kinda wierd cause i have an image of all the characters in my mind, and it's not an animated version, and it's not a photo of the people, and i visualize my own view of the people when i listen to the episodes, but then when i try to describe what i think they look like, i can never do it?! That might sound really confusing... anyone else have that problem, or am i alone on that one? :D :D
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

rachelavonlea wrote:There are many different sources, but for one good one of most of the characters listed above try: http://www.odysseyscoop.com/actors/walker_edmiston.htm
Thanks. I'd say Alan Young.
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

I voted Will Ryan, not for Eugene, but Harlow. There is one picture that I saw of Will once that is exactly what I pictured Harlow as.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

AIO PSYCHE wrote:I voted Will Ryan, not for Eugene, but Harlow. There is one picture that I saw of Will once that is exactly what I pictured Harlow as.
The bottom of this page contains the picture I believe you are thinking of.

-Jonathan
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Yep. That's it exactly. That looks so much like Harlow, it's scary!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

The second one on that page is also very Harlow like.

-Jonathan
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

Yah, wow that picture of Will looks so much like Harlow. Though I'd cast my vote for the guy who does Jason. I saw his picture once and I'm like "Wow, that's what I thought Jason looked like!"
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

HarlowRoxMySox wrote:Yah, wow that picture of Will looks so much like Harlow. Though I'd cast my vote for the guy who does Jason. I saw his picture once and I'm like "Wow, that's what I thought Jason looked like!"
Also true; I'm kinda surprised he wasn't in the poll. They actaully based the drawings for Jason on what he looked like.

-Jonathan
rachelavonlea
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by rachelavonlea »

Jonathan wrote:I voted Walker Edmiston. For years I had a vivid image of what Tom looked like in my imagination, and was pleasantly surprised when I first saw a picture of Walker and saw that the two matched.

Walker as Bart, however, is a whole different story.

-Jonathan

LOL!

I love Walker's voice. Does anyone else feel excited when you hear him on the cookie commercial (Keebler's Elves thingmagimie?). The first time I ever consciously heard his voice was when he did voiceover for a 360 degree film called 'American Journeys" at Disneyland. I've always loved his sweet warm twang, although southern accents in general irk me for some strange reason.

I feel like I know the actors when I hear them play other parts. For instance, again at Disneyland, (I am a pass member) the "Welcome to the Disneyland Resort" tram is voiced by Corey AKA Brian Dern, and I feel so comfortable hearing his voice, it's weird!

Hey, that gives me an idea. When I was really into the Anne series, I met up with other online fans there at Mary Poppins Tea Party, and it was fun to meet people I'd only ever known online.

Does anyone live in California and wanna meet at Disneyland?

oh, on another unrelated point, and this whole post has been drifting from my own thread :-$ , do me a favor and check out http://thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?p=16142#16142

I am dying to hear what you think about the issues I raise in that post!

afternoon felicitations all,

R.
-Rachel

HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

Jonathan wrote:
HarlowRoxMySox wrote:Yah, wow that picture of Will looks so much like Harlow. Though I'd cast my vote for the guy who does Jason. I saw his picture once and I'm like "Wow, that's what I thought Jason looked like!"
Also true; I'm kinda surprised he wasn't in the poll. They actaully based the drawings for Jason on what he looked like.

-Jonathan
Really? Well then no wonder they look so alike! ;) ;)
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I also think that Jason looks exactly like his voice. Alan Young fits pretty good too--that's who I voted for.

I also agree that Will Ryan does NOT look like Eugene (Or Harlow for that matter).
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Most definitely Alan Young. Seeing as how I've seen Connie, Whit, Eugene portrayed in cartoons, videos, etc., I've generally associated those depictions with the voice--although I must admit I never envisioned Connie to look the way she does in the movies. :noway:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
rachelavonlea
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by rachelavonlea »

Dr. Watson wrote:I also think that Jason looks exactly like his voice.
I didn't include him on the poll, because I don't think of him as an AIO mainstaple.

You guys really think he looks like your imagined Jason? (Not the cartoon version of him folks, I don't care about that!) The ponytail really threw me for a loop when I saw him for the 1st time. And he is older than his voice. Maybe shave off 15 years and the long hair, and you'd have a Jason that suits my imagination.

Yes, I know if you follow the Odyssey timeline, Jason would have to be older. But I certainly don't think of him as 50 ish! In my mind he is 30, give or take.

About Connie, she too looks too old for her voice and too Mom like, ya know? I can physically see Katie as a 40ish old mom, but take away the visual of her face, and it's early college aged, part time Ice Cream Store Clerk all the way!

I love this thread, keep it coming folks! ,

R.
-Rachel

Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

rachelavonlea wrote:
Dr. Watson wrote:I also think that Jason looks exactly like his voice.
You guys really think he looks like your imagined Jason? (Not the cartoon version of him folks, I don't care about that!) The ponytail really threw me for a loop when I saw him for the 1st time. And he is older than his voice. Maybe shave off 15 years and the long hair, and you'd have a Jason that suits my imagination.
To clarify, I imagine him the way he looks in the Official Guide.

Trent de White wrote:although I must admit I never envisioned Connie to look the way she does in the movies.
I know, I kinda pictured her with straight blond hair. :-k
rachelavonlea
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by rachelavonlea »

dancer02248 wrote:it's kinda weird cause i have an image of all the characters in my mind, and it's not an animated version, and it's not a photo of the people, and i visualize my own view of the people when i listen to the episodes, but then when i try to describe what i think they look like, i can never do it?! That might sound really confusing... anyone else have that problem, or am i alone on that one? :D :D
If not, I have a very similar problem. If problem is the right word, that is.

For the most part, I can't describe a character's looks. I think my imagination just accepts the voice as a face (probably like blind people must have to).

That said, I can describe them sometimes. I think that is only if I see someone somewhere who physically looks like my imagination of a character. Make sense?

Take for instance Hal Smith. To me he looks sorta like the FOTF drawings. He's old, bigger, has a white hair and mustache and friendly, grandfatherly face. But it wasn't a exact match.

However years ago I was reading the comics, and I saw Dennis the Menace's grandfather, and I thought "THIS is Whit!" Image It was so long ago, but that grandfather's image is Whit to me. And Whit is Hal Smith to me. The new Whit is a new character to me.

Although I initially identified heavily with Connie when Jack "was" Whit, I oddly now am fine with Paul "pretending" to be Hal as Whit. Carob won't ever taste like chocolate, but if there is a world shortage of chocolate, I'll have carob in it's place. Won't love it as much, but glad it's there, you know?

Ta Ta,
It's Theater Talk,

R.
-Rachel

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

rachelavonlea wrote:You guys really think he looks like your imagined Jason? (Not the cartoon version of him folks, I don't care about that!) The ponytail really threw me for a loop when I saw him for the 1st time. And he is older than his voice. Maybe shave off 15 years and the long hair, and you'd have a Jason that suits my imagination.
You are thinking of the more recent pics of Townsend. He looked more like Jason when he was younger, when he joined Odyssey. Also, for several years he was a main staple.

And Dr. W, I do agree that in some pics, Will Ryan doesn't look like Harlow, but it depends on the pic.

-Jonathan

edit-I just saw the post above mine, and must agree, that looks a lot like how I'd imagine him.