Historical Accuracy

Story behind Arizona Sunrise

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Gandalf
Tallying up

Historical Accuracy

Post by Gandalf »

I'm just curious if anyone knows if the story found in 402: Arizona Sunrise is historically accurate. I did some Internet searches and can't seem to find anything on Reverend James Clinger/Klinger.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Gandalf wrote:I'm just curious if anyone knows if the story found in 402: Arizona Sunrise is historically accurate. I did some Internet searches and can't seem to find anything on Reverend James Clinger/Klinger.
Interesting you should bring this up; I've been meaning to submit this as a question to Talk to the Paw.

Oh, and it's good to have you here Gandalf :)

-Jonathan
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Jonathan wrote:Interesting you should bring this up; I've been meaning to submit this as a question to Talk to the Paw.
I was just going to say, it would be a good TttP question :). Speaking of which, I should get on those soon :anxious:
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

Thanks for the welcome Jonathan!

So um, can we consider this a TttP submission? I would really appreciate an answer by Friday evening if that's at all possible. Has anyone ever heard of James Clinger before or since this episode?
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Gandalf wrote:Thanks for the welcome Jonathan!

So um, can we consider this a TttP submission? I would really appreciate an answer by Friday evening if that's at all possible. Has anyone ever heard of James Clinger before or since this episode?
Your welcome!

I submitted the question to TttP, so hopefully Shadowpaw is getting an answer for us.

-Jonathan
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

Great, thanks!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Here's the lowdown (which is taken directly from Chris' wrapup during "The Summer of History" from a couple of years ago:

"Though the characters in today's episode were fictional, the story is based on an actual historical event. Apaches did go out into the wilderness when they thought it was their time to die. In 1905, a Lutheran pastor went searching for an Apache chief who had done just that. He found the chief and brought him back to civilization and nursed him back to health.

"Many circuit riders also roamed American frontier. Pastors traveled from town to town much like James Klinger did in today's adventure. Francis Asbury was one of the most famous riders and even organized a group of pastors like a general organized an army.

"These brave riders made a difference in lives all around the country."
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Cool, thanks Shadowpaw, and welcome Gandalf!
Last edited by Shad Lexer on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

That's a little disapointing, I had always assumed that AIO history shows were based on real history, even if a few liberties were taken (IE: Patrick, Valentine, etc.). Thanks for getting the answer for me Shadowpaw.

And thanks for the welcome Screech!

I'm really curious now. Is the story of Telemachus true? I looked through Foxe's Book of Martyres and could never find him, but I had always assumed that was because our version was probably condensed.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

The story of Telemachus is true:

http://www.ozsermonillustrations.com/il ... osseum.htm

As many might have read in my TttP about "A Single Vote", I was pretty disappointed that it wasn't accurate. I even wrote a Social Studies paper on that story years before I learned the truth, and now I feel dumb for not checking my facts :(.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Gandalf wrote:That's a little disapointing, I had always assumed that AIO history shows were based on real history, even if a few liberties were taken (IE: Patrick, Valentine, etc.). Thanks for getting the answer for me Shadowpaw.

And thanks for the welcome Screech!

I'm really curious now. Is the story of Telemachus true? I looked through Foxe's Book of Martyres and could never find him, but I had always assumed that was because our version was probably condensed.
Those aren't true?!!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Yes they are. Not entirely accurate though, as creative liberties were taken. I believe this is what Gandalf meant.

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

For instance the original Lucitmael was male...

Another one that really surprised me with it's apparent inaccuracy was "It Is Well" and the story of Horatio Spafford. According to a biography I read a lot of the facts were messed up. Also the line in "The Other Woman" about him dying under the delusion of being the Messiah was false according to the book I read... his daughter (one born after the ship disaster) records that his detractors accused him of things like that when Horatio Spafford moved his family to Israel. :-k I'm not sure which sources to believe but it appears they were different in their facts. It's disappointing to me when facts are changed for the ease of presenting the drama. ](*,)