Doctor Who Series Preview

I control you all. Fear me. Bow down to me.

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

River got a good ending in NOTD. Now that the mystery surrounding River is done I think it's best that we move on to new characters. Using the same ones over and over becomes repetetive.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Whitty Whit wrote:I doubt that. In my opinion, I don't think the writers would want to focus on that simply because he never takes it off. It's Capaldi's thing as an actor. Some actors won't ride horses; Capaldi won't take his ring off. That's just something they wouldn't make him do.
Mm. Could be.
Mr. Whit's End wrote:River got a good ending in NOTD. Now that the mystery surrounding River is done I think it's best that we move on to new characters. Using the same ones over and over becomes repetetive.
I agree with this. The reason River's timeline was so sad was because there was a day coming when the Doctor wouldn't know her, and when she could no longer see him. But evidently that day isn't coming anymore..

I don't know. My author instincts say that, and then my emotional side..:P

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

The Kings Daughter wrote:
Whitty Whit wrote:I doubt that. In my opinion, I don't think the writers would want to focus on that simply because he never takes it off. It's Capaldi's thing as an actor. Some actors won't ride horses; Capaldi won't take his ring off. That's just something they wouldn't make him do.
Mm. Could be.
Mr. Whit's End wrote:River got a good ending in NOTD. Now that the mystery surrounding River is done I think it's best that we move on to new characters. Using the same ones over and over becomes repetetive.
I agree with this. The reason River's timeline was so sad was because there was a day coming when the Doctor wouldn't know her, and when she could no longer see him. But evidently that day isn't coming anymore..

I don't know. My author instincts say that, and then my emotional side..:P
About River, I've personally always wanted a storyline or even just a scene where we find out how she got on that team to go investigate the library in the episode we first meet her.

Only 23 more days till season 8! Should be interesting to see if I (and all you good Whovians) like it

Till the end of the line.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

But we still don't know how she learned the Doctor's name! :x

I hope I get to see Deep Breath in theaters, but currently, the closest location is an hour and a half away. Hopefully my theater jumps on board! It's a funny thing, we just made a 500 mile move, and they have it back where we moved from... =P
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Woody wrote:But we still don't know how she learned the Doctor's name! :x
Be brave.
Do you have any theories about that? Since Ten said there was only one instance in which he would ever give his name.

SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

It could have happened during the Last Night minisodes.
Woody

Post by Woody »

New Deep Breath Trailer!

I love this quote:

Clara: "The Doctor! What's he doing here?"
Vastra: "There is trouble. Where else would he be?"
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I'm really excited. \:D/

The only thing bothering me a little is Vastra and Jenny. Honestly I've had enough of them.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Woody

Post by Woody »

But one can never get enough of Strax. ;)

New radio trailer!

So it looks like they are exploring the idea of where the Doctor gets his faces. I'm guessing that's the explanation for Capaldi's previous appearances. Now, I wonder where the personality comes from. Does the Doctor himself choose it, or does it mirror that of the original owner of the face?

EDIT: Also, this article seems to indicate that the ring is incorporated as some sort of Time Lordy thingy

EDITING THE EDIT: Random idea, but would anyone be interested in having a series of polls for the best episode, leading up to the Series 8 premiere? Now is the perfect chance to do it, with 9 days left before the premiere. We could do one poll per day, one for each season of the new series, and one for the specials, then a final poll between the winners. It could also be done leading up to the finale. Ideas are welcome. \:D/
Last edited by Woody on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

Sure, lets do that.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Woody wrote:But one can never get enough of Strax. ;)
Well that's true. \:D/ He's hilarious. It's the other two who are annoying.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Woody

Post by Woody »

Anyone against the idea?

And where should the polls be posted? Should they each have their own thread, have them all in one new thread, or should we all force Amy to edit them into this one?
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Aeva wrote:
Woody wrote:But one can never get enough of Strax. ;)
Well that's true. \:D/ He's hilarious. It's the other two who are annoying.
Personally, I think that I've had enough of all three of them for quite a while. :-

Also, if the Doctor's faces come from other people, I totally want to know where his other faces have come from. :yes:
Last edited by Amethystic on Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Thoughts on this, folks?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doct ... ts-4061757

Do you think this is true? I feel like she only just got here.
After all, she was only in one half of Series Seven.
I guess Martha and Donna only had about that long, but after having Amy/Amy and Rory for two and a half series' (over the span of several years), this feels very short.

And I was just getting attached to her too. >.>

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I can't say I'm particularly surprised. I kind of suspected Clara would be on her way out with this new Doctor, just because her character was so tailored to Eleven's story line and personality. She was a decent enough companion, I thought, but it's not like her character stands out compared to companions like Rose and Amy.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I would like to point out that this is a RUMOR from an unknown(and likely unreliable) source, and that we should not accept this as fact. However, if it is true, I will be rather disappointed. I had hoped her run would be a bit longer.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Woody wrote:I would like to point out that this is a RUMOR from an unknown(and likely unreliable) source, and that we should not accept this as fact. However, if it is true, I will be rather disappointed. I had hoped her run would be a bit longer.
*nodnod* That's why I asked if people thought it was true. Because BBC hasn't said anything. I'm wanting to believe it is that, a rumor, because she hasn't even been around for an entire series.

Also, four days! ;)

Woody

Post by Woody »

This series is definitely off to a great start! :) My review:
"Please exit the box and surrender, for the glory of the Sontaran empire!"

Okay, starting with the opening scene, Capaldi's performance was quite perfect. "Clara, you know I speak dinosaur." "He's not Clara, I'm Clara!" "Oh... well... you're similar heights... you should have... labels, or something..." And Strax... I love Strax. \:D/

"Don't look in that mirror, it's absolutely furious!"

I love this line. Thatisall

"Are you judging me?"

I loved this scene, if only for Vastra and Jenny fighting. I hope they divorce. =P

"I never know where the faces come from..."

Likely my favorite scene was Capaldi's(Notice I've not once called him the Doctor) conversation with the homeless man(Whose reactions were great, by the way. He reminded me of Wilfred Mott.) "Do you ever look in the mirror and think 'I've seen that face before'" "Well, yes. Every time I look in the mirror!" "A fair point, but see, this is a new face. It's fresh on."

"You can't rebuild a spaceship from humans! This is really ringing a bell"

The return of the clockwork droids! Sort of. I thought they made an absolutely brilliant villain. "They're my greatest gift." "I accept." "What are those for?" "Your gift. I have bad eyes."

"One of us is lying about our basic programming. I think we both know which one it is."

This scene really brought to light who this new Doctor is. And I'm not yet sure what I think. But I'm excited to find out.

"Is that the Doctor?" "Is that the Doctor?"

MY MATTY. I cried. Seriously. I never cry. But I cried. And this scene... it really served its purpose well. It definitely made me much more accepting of Capaldi's Doctor. If Matty says to, I guess I have to. *weeps* "Well. He asked you a question. Will you help him?" "You shouldn't have been listening." "I didn't. You can't see me. I'm standing right here, and you can't see me. Can't you see? I asked that question. I'm the same man!" So long Matty. I will miss you...

"This is Heaven"

Did anyone else notice that this is the same woman who is in the pictures from the series finale? And she talked as if she controlled the Doctor. How much do you want to wager that's where his faces come from? Oh, and you know how the Doctor mentioned the woman in the shop as being the same one who put the ad in the newspaper? Well... :- And she seems to be gathering the Doctor's enemies. And Moffat did say there was a major foe returning... How about THE MASTER? But didn't Moffat discount that theory? Well... SEIL TAFFOM

And just a couple of random lines I liked:

"Nothing is more important than my egomania!"
"Okay, you just said that."

"I don't know! I don't know where he is. But I know where he would be. If I know him, if he is the same man... then he'll have my back."

"Yes! We will lure him back here, looking for his box! Then we will catch him, and melt him in acid!"
"Wait, what was that last part?"
"We will not melt him in acid. Sorry, old habits."

"May I take your coat?"
"Not wearing a coat."
"What's all that, then?"
"Clothes."
"May I take your clothes, then?"
"No."
"May I take your hat?"
"Not wearing a hat. It's hair."
"Are you sure? I think it's a hat, would you like me to check?"
Overall, great episode, Moffat. And I can't wait to see what's next.
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

The new theme is probably my favorite out of the Doctor Who post-2005 themes. Also, I kept on hearing one of the melodies from The Doctor's Theme throughout the episode, which I definitely do not mind.
Last edited by SirWhit on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Overall, very good. Loved seeing the new guy and getting used to him. I liked his line about the eyebrows and especially about how he thinks he's seen his face before (hint hint Pompeii hint). Clara was outstanding, better than she normally is I think (like when she got angry at Madame Vastra, for instance). Strax and the rest of the gang are great to see again. I like Capaldi, he's brilliant and dark and fascinating.

and of course, the end where we briefly see Matt again was a really nice touch.

Till the end of the line.