Avengers: Infinity War

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Okay, it sounds like you know a bunch of stuff. I think you'll catch up on the key things and enjoy the ride, whether you're familiar with every character and detail or not.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

My parents went and saw it with my wife and I, and they've only seen the other Avengers movies. They seemed to enjoy it for the most part, despite not knowing all the characters. It's a Marvel movie, so it's designed to be enjoyed by just about anybody.
he/him | a little stinker.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Steve wrote:My parents went and saw it with my wife and I, and they've only seen the other Avengers movies. They seemed to enjoy it for the most part, despite not knowing all the characters. It's a Marvel movie, so it's designed to be enjoyed by just about anybody.
I'm seeing a lot of people saying that either they or someone they know who hasn't seen any/many of the films went to see Infinity War and enjoyed it, and while I'm happy for them I'm kind of not understanding why they are bothering to see it if they weren't interested enough to see at least most of the 40 million films leading up to it. But oh well. :(

I liked it pretty well, I'd really like to see it again before I settle on exactly how much I liked it, but alas MoviePass doesn't let you do repeat viewings anymore and I'm not sure if I want to actually PAY to see it again like some kind of FOOL! :x
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The Top Crusader wrote:
Steve wrote:My parents went and saw it with my wife and I, and they've only seen the other Avengers movies. They seemed to enjoy it for the most part, despite not knowing all the characters. It's a Marvel movie, so it's designed to be enjoyed by just about anybody.
I'm seeing a lot of people saying that either they or someone they know who hasn't seen any/many of the films went to see Infinity War and enjoyed it, and while I'm happy for them I'm kind of not understanding why they are bothering to see it if they weren't interested enough to see at least most of the 40 million films leading up to it. But oh well. :(

I liked it pretty well, I'd really like to see it again before I settle on exactly how much I liked it, but alas MoviePass doesn't let you do repeat viewings anymore and I'm not sure if I want to actually PAY to see it again like some kind of FOOL! :x
There were people leaving the theatre right as the movie ended, and I thought, "It's been ten years. Do they really not know that there's another scene coming?" It was opening weekend, so it seemed like too many people to be repeat viewers who didn't care to see the end again.

I also would like to see it again before I really settle my opinions. I always notice things the second time around that I didn't the first, and there are a lot of pieces and characters to notice!
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

Saw it today!
Tom Holland really spoiled the ending for me when he said that there would be a Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel. How could there be a sequel if he's dead? Unless they do some weird flashback-time-travel-type movie, but I'm pretty sure everyone's gonna come back.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:
And after our worrying, Cap appears to be safe, at least for now. Yay!
I had forgotten this was a two part thing; all that I said still stands just adjust it to be about the next movie. (ie: I think Cap will die by the end of this story, Evans' contact ends after this concluding movie, etc)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
And after our worrying, Cap appears to be safe, at least for now. Yay!
I had forgotten this was a two part thing; all that I said still stands just adjust it to be about the next movie. (ie: I think Cap will die by the end of this story, Evans' contact ends after this concluding movie, etc)
:sniff:

:mecry:

Waiting is the hard part of these continuing stories!
Scientific Guy
Tallying up

Post by Scientific Guy »

Catspaw wrote: :sniff:

:mecry:

Waiting is the hard part of these continuing stories!
I feel the same way! There are hints from the comics, but the scriptwriters can go any way they want! :flame: Still, I have a couple theories based on what happens in the comics.
Captain Marvel joins the Avengers and they eventually find Thanos. While they're fighting, Nebula (due to her cyborg-like strength) pulls the gauntlet off, but instead of handing it over, uses it for herself. Thus the Avengers (plus a reformed Thanos) have to fight Nebula.
Although, the gauntlet looked broken at the end of Infinity War. What's up with that?
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

Maybe Ant-Man is gonna kill Thanos like how he killed Yellow Jacket in Ant-Man.
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

'The snap' was spoiled in general for me since I didn't get to see this for so long, but I actually remained unaware of most of the details of anything that happened in this movie. For example, the return of Red Skull. No idea that was going to happen!

It's very good! So much is converging here, but it's not confusing or overwhelming it's done in a masterful way to all really work.

They finally addressed what's going on with Tony's chest post-surgery, I've been wondering about that since Iron Man 3.

The first fight was really cool, with all the different powers being used: webslinging, telekinesis, and whatever you want to call what Doctor Strange does. Strung together some neat sequences.

Thor meeting the Guardians was a good scene. It's really something to see all these characters come together.

Cap's entrance was great. I was so into it when he showed up; still my favorite. But I'm still sure the next movie is his last. Would love to be wrong, but I feel it's inevitable in world and in real life both. The character has reached the end of his arc, and the actor has reached the end of this contract.

Some heavy stuff with Thanos and Gamorra. I saw the he actually does love her so she will be his sacrifice moment coming, but even so it didn't feel forced or cheap, it had real emotion. I really got his thing of he felt he ignored 'destiny' when he 'adopted' her, now he has to make it 'right' here for his real chance. And his twisted motivation for not what he was doing, but how he wanted to do it. He's like I have to get rid of half the people one way or the other, I want to do it instantly and painlessly instead of going around killing them. Really complex layers. This is probably the best villain character they've had. Which should be the case for your ultimate big bad.

I don't know if Doctor Strange giving over the time stone was supposed to be felt as a twist or surprise, it was obvious to me they're playing out the one scenario he foresaw them winning so it didn't make me think what is he doing or anything like that.

The ending was... I don't know. It's odd.
It's shocking, I guess, in the immediate wow of what it did, but the immediate is all there is to it. It has no actual emotional weight at all, because there's no way you think for a minute it won't be undone. Oh my gosh can you believe all these characters are gone forever?! Yeah, they're definitely killing off Black Panther after the massive phenomenon his movie was. And we know there's a Spider-Man sequel coming up. I'm sure there will be actual stakes and consequences by the end of this story arc, there have to be, but clearly whatever they are they'll happen in the next movie it's none of what we just saw here. Kind of makes what should have been a really gripping moment actually fall pretty flat.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

bookworm wrote:
The ending was... I don't know. It's odd.
It's shocking, I guess, in the immediate wow of what it did, but the immediate is all there is to it. It has no actual emotional weight at all, because there's no way you think for a minute it won't be undone. Oh my gosh can you believe all these characters are gone forever?! Yeah, they're definitely killing off Black Panther after the massive phenomenon his movie was. And we know there's a Spider-Man sequel coming up. I'm sure there will be actual stakes and consequences by the end of this story arc, there have to be, but clearly whatever they are they'll happen in the next movie it's none of what we just saw here. Kind of makes what should have been a really gripping moment actually fall pretty flat.
I've been taken aback by a few people in real life and a lot of comments of people online after IW came out who seemed to think they actually killed off all those characters. :eyeroll: But yeah, I didn't find it that emotional or meaningful because you pretty much could see where it was heading most likely just by watching the movies and such, but moreso with comic book familiarity.