Chronicles of Narnia

Discuss the books or the movie here!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Fair point, KF. I agree that the producers (or writers or whoever is at fault) seemingly made no attempt to follow the book and changed the plot to suit their own tastes. However, I still believe we should support the franchise, and I will definitely be found in the theater at midnight for every subsequent Narnia film. \:D/
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

Aeva wrote:
Jesus' Princess wrote:I really liked LWW, strongly disliked PC though, I haven't seen VDT yet.
Have you read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader? Because if you have, then you should be warned that the changes made in the film are rather frustrating. Of the three Narnia films, I am the most disappointed by the changes made to TVotDT, as I feel those changes were completely unnecessary and quite dumb. (Yes, Susan kissing Caspian is also supremely dumb, but I get a few laughs out of that so I don't mind it too much. ;) )
With VDT, the movie would have been forced to split into two movies if they had stuck closer to the book. Even though I don't agree with most of the movie content - see the thread for my opinion, but we have to remember that we have no idea what went on whilst the script was written, they also have to appeal to the non Christians of the world and they need a plot that will bring in lots of money. Anyway getting back on topic, I liked LW&W, it stuck to the book and was simply charming.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Nice review! Very detailed. I didn't particularly mind some of the changes to LWW, but I do admit to a feeling of anger with PC and the whole Susan/Caspian drama. Haven't seen VDT yet though.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Bumping this thread because I wanted to share something kind of unique that gives this movie a really special connection to me for reasons that go beyond the film itself. I've thought about posting about this several times over the years but just never got around to it, but I think some of you will appreciate it so I finally will now.

For a long time my city didn't have a theater. I mean a long time; it had closed in the 1980s. The building was still there, just sitting empty all my life. Finally someone bought it to renovate and reopen and it resumed business in December of 2005. This was the first movie that played there. It was a big event, the community was so happy to have a local theater again.

Ever since then, to this very day thirteen years later, they play this soundtrack (primarily this piece) over the slideshow of local ads that loops for a half hour or so before the previews start. I think that's really cool and it gives me special feelings and memories every time. This movie is intrinsically linked to that theater because of that grand reopening, and that's a really neat way to honor and remember that. Last time I was there I was sitting back listening to it and thought that was so long ago I don't know if anyone that comes here these days even knows why they're playing this music. It would seem pretty random even if they recognize it. But I know. There is a reason, and it's something special.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That's a great story, bookworm! Very cool. What a wonderful film to have as the first one for the reopening. The whole soundtrack is good, and easy to listen to over and over again.

I recently read that Netflix acquired the rights to all seven Narnia books, which is apparently the first time that has ever happened that the same company has had the rights to all the books at once. They've done a great job with other original content based on books, so I'm excited to see what they do to adapt this wonderful book series that deserves better than what it's gotten over the years in film. There have been decent individual efforts, but no full series of all 7.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:I recently read that Netflix acquired the rights to all seven Narnia books,
Did you read it here? ;)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I recently read that Netflix acquired the rights to all seven Narnia books,
Did you read it here? ;)
Awkward! No, actually I read about it on the IMDB a couple of weeks ago and kept forgetting to post about it on the ToO until your post on this thread reminded me. Good to know the topic is now covered. ;) I hadn't made it to the Little Theatre yet.
AioFan7
Not as new

Post by AioFan7 »

I've seen all of the BBC movies, and seen Prince Caspian and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe Waldon media ones. And read all but the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I started to, and got part way through, but was bored to death with it. But I love the Last Battle book!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Did you start it recently, or a long time ago? It's happened to me a few times where I started a classic book and gave up without getting into it, and then tried again a few years later and loved it! :D
AioFan7
Not as new

Post by AioFan7 »

Earlier this year. A lot earlier. Maybe it was last year. I'm not sure. Even the BBC movie is boaring. For me. I'm not much for ship stories.