Favorite books

Tell us about them!

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Chandler

Favorite books

Post by Chandler »

What are some of your favorite books? It almost seems that reading is becoming a lost art in this day and age of computers and video games but some of you have indicated you still secretly practice reading. :-$
"The Pilgrim's Progress" is a very inspirational book for me.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Lemme see here. I've recently read some rather fascinating pieces of literature . . .

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
- I'm currently taking a Tolkien course which primarily studies LoTR. Excellent work of literature, I must say. *nod*

The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker
- This trilogy consists of the three books, Black, Red, and White. Wow. They are packed with Biblical allusions and references. I'm pretty sure it'd be considered an allegory. You should read this trilogy sometime. You'll be engrossed for hours. o_O

Thr3e by Ted Dekker
- Another piece of fiction by Dekker, and yet another incredible and intriguing book. Wow. It's a virtual rollercoaster as you go through so many twists and turns while reading the book . . . buckle your seatbelt.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I've heard a lot about Ted Dekker lately. Makes me want to check out his books! :lol:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

To be honest, I hadn't heard of Ted Dekker until a couple months ago. 8-[ I'm currently anticipating his latest book, Obsessed. You can check out his site at TedDekker.com.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I have read most of Ted Dekker's book including the Trilogy and Obsessed. Obsessed is a great book that is very exicting but I wouldn't suggest somebody under 12 or 13 read it.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Bmuntz wrote:I wouldn't suggest somebody under 12 or 13 read it.
Why not? :-k
(Don't worry. I'm old enough!)
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

It has some things that are more serious. Deals with Nazi killings and other things. Maybe 13 and older is a little bit of a stretch but it isn't for somebody to young.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Thanks for explaining. :)
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Yeah, I've read all three books in the Circle Trilogy and Thr3e . . . they tend to be geared toward readers who are 12 and up. I'm thinking more like 13+, but it really depends on the maturity of the person.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Definitely the Lord of the Rings. And the Silmarilllion. And the Hobbit. And the History of Middle-earth.

I also think Robin McKinley, Isaac Asimov, Terry Brooks, Arthur C. Clarke, and Orson Scott Card are decent writers, although nowhere near Tolkien.

Just wondering- Trent: Do you take the Tolkien course from Dr. Bridwell by any chance?
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

LOTR all the way, next to the Bible :wink:
Anne
OK

Post by Anne »

I love Ted Dekker as well. I've read all his books, and in my mind each book keeps getting better than the last.
However, my favourite books are the Anne of Green Gables series. I have read them all a zillion times. They are such classics that I'll never get too old to enjoy them (I hope). The Radio Theatre production of Anne is great too.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Well, my favorite authors are Lori Wick, Janette Oke, Gilbert Morris, Penelope J. Stokes, B. J. Hoff, Michael Phillips, Judith Pella, and others.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Elf of Rivendell wrote:Just wondering- Trent: Do you take the Tolkien course from Dr. Bridwell by any chance?
Indeed, I do :D . . . and you?
Anne wrote:I love Ted Dekker as well. I've read all his books, and in my mind each book keeps getting better than the last.
Amen!

Other good authors: Frank Peretti, Jerry B. Jenkins, C.S. Lewis.
Anne
OK

Post by Anne »

I just read a biography of C.S. Lewis and now want to read more of his books. I've read the Narnia series, but not many others.
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Lord of the Rings is definitely my all-time fave...don't tell anyone but.... I carry the series around in my backpack and read at different intervals during the day. I also like Janette Oke, all her books are good!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

All of Frank Peritti's books (especially The Oath and The Visitation) and The Chronicles of Narnia.

-Jonathan
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Like Jonathan, all of Peretti's... although I'm more a fan of the Prophet and This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness... although I really like all his work.

Also, I have to side with the Ted Dekker people. So far I've only read Thr3e, and it was great. Just started Black, but, I rarely read "for pleasure" during a session of school, so... it may be a while before I finish it.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

The Top Crusader wrote:Also, I have to side with the Ted Dekker people. So far I've only read Thr3e, and it was great. Just started Black, but, I rarely read "for pleasure" during a session of school, so... it may be a while before I finish it.
Simply for pleasure? Indeed, it will stimulate your intellectual faculties . . . but I finished it within three weeks. That captivitating. I would've been finished a lot sooner, but something called school got in the way. ](*,)

. . . and Thr3e was awesome, wouldn't you agree? \:D/

I'd almost compare Ted Dekker to a modern-day C.S. Lewis, as it mildly echoes the way in which Lewis wrote the Chronicles of Narnia. However, I must say Dekker's works would fall more under the category of thriller or mystery as opposed to Lewis' theological-based writings.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

C.S. Lewis, JRR Tolkien, and G.A. Henty.

Anyone heard of Henty? He wrote during the late nineteenth-century--somelike a 144 novels and short stories. All of them are adventury stories. The main characters experience wars, battles, kidnappings, sailing on the Spanish Main, etc. They are really quite interesting.

I also used to read lots of Lloyd Alexander. He has good books on the surface, but I sensed a despairing atheism/post-modernism in his works, so I've avoided him since.

Cheerio