Gone With the Wind

Never again!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Gone With the Wind

Post by Catspaw »

Yesterday my sister and I rented Gone With the Wind because neither of us had ever sen it before, but we had wanted to for years, since it's a classic and all. We finished watching it today and wished that we had never seen it! I had been expecting more happiness and less misery and tragedy. It's not like it was an example of bad film-making or anything like that, and some of the outfits were amazing, but I expected some good times, not death and destruction! It was four hours of waiting for a happy ending, and not getting a satisfactory one, at least to my modern chick-flick sensibilities. From now on, my sister and I are only watching happy chick flicks! ;) It made the ending of Roman Holiday seems cheerful!

One highlight for me was near the beginning of the movie. In the AIO ep The Marriage Feast, there's what seems to be a direct quote of Gone With the Wind. On the O'Hara plantation (called Tara) Scarlett's father says, "Land is the only thing worth living for, worth dying for, because it's the only thing that lasts," or something like that, which is what the Duke of Terra tells the servants in The Marriage Feast. I found it ironic, especially since in the AIO ep, the guy's voice sounds a lot like the guy's voice in the movie.

Has anybody else seen Gone With the Wind? Perhaps there's some joy that I missed that somebody can raise my spirits with? :pray: Otherwise, I'm sticking to fluff from now on! ;)
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

I actually really liked Gone with the Wind--even though Scarlet annoyed the heck out of me.......
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I have seen it. I don't watch it anymore because I used to watch it every time it was on and I guess I got tired of it. I do own the DVD though.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I have seen it. I don't like it at all! So long...
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Catspaw wrote:One highlight for me was near the beginning of the movie. In the AIO ep The Marriage Feast, there's what seems to be a direct quote of Gone With the Wind. On the O'Hara plantation (called Tara) Scarlett's father says, "Land is the only thing worth living for, worth dying for, because it's the only thing that lasts," or something like that, which is what the Duke of Terra tells the servants in The Marriage Feast. I found it ironic, especially since in the AIO ep, the guy's voice sounds a lot like the guy's voice in the movie.
The plantation was called Tara and there was a Duke of Terra? :-k I wonder if they planned that. "Terra" seems to be an obvious takeoff from "land" (Latin or Greek root, don't ask me which) but it sounds just like the other.
Catspaw wrote:Has anybody else seen Gone With the Wind? Perhaps there's some joy that I missed that somebody can raise my spirits with? :pray: Otherwise, I'm sticking to fluff from now on! ;)
I haven't seen it but I've always heard what a classic it is. :-k I knew it was set during the Civil War but I didn't realize it was so sad. Sorry I can't help you. :noway:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

jessicado wrote:I actually really liked Gone with the Wind--even though Scarlet annoyed the heck out of me.......
I'm gald that you liked it!

It just seemed like Scarlett never actually grew up. She would do something, and I would think that she was finally going to be a decent human being, and then she would do something dumb again.

I can see why it's a classic, but I just didn't get as much enjoyment as I had anticipated receiving. Maybe my expectations for happiness were too high, and that lessened to enjoyment that I otherwise might had. :-k
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

I didn't care for the sequel though
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Yes, the sequel was pretty awful.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

There's a sequel? :shock: What was it called? When did it come out?

I'm just curious, because I hadn't realized that there was one. I wouldn't actually see it, based on my personal experience and the comments here.
beka8910
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by beka8910 »

I loved Gone With the Wind but I never saw the sequel.
Master Kenobi
I've been here a bit

Post by Master Kenobi »

AIIIIEEEE! I can't STAND that movie! ](*,)
beka8910
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by beka8910 »

Really cause I thought it was awesome. A little long but awesome.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

that movies is proof that not ALL movies are totally predictable. but i wasnt really pleased with it either when i saw it. unfortunatly..we own it..
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Eugene Blackgaard wrote:Image
You know, EB, sometimes I worry about you! :-s Did you make the changes yourself, or did you find it? (Very funny, by the way!) \:D/
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

I found that one. ;)
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I thought the movie was kinda...lame. Lame characters, weak morals...the only thing I really liked about it was the AIO quote. (Totally redeemed the whole thing.) I LOATHE the ending! Arrrggghhhh! Lady, don't you know that the whole big mess is your fault????
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thank-you, Frank! Now I don't feel so bad for being practically the only person who doesn't like it, or so it seemed. I went on the IMDB site for it briefly, and there were lots of people of all ages saying how much they adored the movie, and I just couldn't believe it! I thought that I must be crazy not to really like the movie, but if it doesn't have Frank's stamp of approval, then it's fine now that I didn't really care for it. To me, it could be taken away, gone with the wind, and I wouldn't care. ;)
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I hated all the characters in the book and movie so much, I couldn't stand it. They were all selfish horrible people.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I had to watch it for history last year.

There wasn't really anything I objected to, so much.

But the movie bored me, and I don't think I'll be watching it again. (Not willingly, anyway.)

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name