"Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith" Discussion

**SPOILERS**

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!

What did you think of Episode III?

5 Stars - The best Star Wars film!
15%
4 Stars - The Force was with this movie
58%
3 Stars - Decent but unsatisfying
23%
2 Stars - Twisted by mediocrity, this movie was
4%
1 Star - I hate George Lucas
No votes

Total votes: 26

Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Catspaw wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:Also, before the newer ones, I always thought Obi Wan didn't know about Leia being Vader's daughter, since in ESB he said "That boy is our last hope..." or whatever.
Maybe he's a sexist! Or he knows that Luke has a greater Force potential than Leia. :-k
Or maybe George Lucas really DIDN'T write the whole story all those years ago. Leia kissing Luke anyone? :sick: :anxious:
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Chandler wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:Also, before the newer ones, I always thought Obi Wan didn't know about Leia being Vader's daughter, since in ESB he said "That boy is our last hope..." or whatever.
Maybe he's a sexist! Or he knows that Luke has a greater Force potential than Leia. :-k
Or maybe George Lucas really DIDN'T write the whole story all those years ago. Leia kissing Luke anyone? :sick: :anxious:
Actually, some of it, he had another person help him write. And the only reason why Leia was kissing Luke was because 1) she didn't know (not even Carrie Fisher knew) 2) she wanted to pop some of Han's ego. :-s

Sarah
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Sarah wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
Actually, some of it, he had another person help him write. And the only reason why Leia was kissing Luke was because 1) she didn't know (not even Carrie Fisher knew) 2) she wanted to pop some of Han's ego. :-s

Sarah
1) Leia later claimed that she always knew.
2) Very true. :anxious:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

The Top Crusader wrote:http://supervaderbros.ytmnd.com/
:hilarious:
Chandler wrote:1) Leia later claimed that she always knew.
She did? :-s
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:She did? :-s
She said something to that effect when Luke was talking to her about being related.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

I just saw the movie...

Pretty darn good.

BC
EugeneFan
OK

Post by EugeneFan »

I thought "Revenge of the Sith" was one of the best in the series. I didn't write a review for the movie, but I did enjoy it, and I gave it a 4 out of 5 in the poll.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I saw it yesterday afternoon and would give it a 4/5 as well. Like most people, I didn't like Episode I and thought Episode II was ok, but this one was great... I really loved the shot of Darth Vader and the Emperor approaching the skeleton of the Death Star. It was also a treat to see everything tied up and events put into motion for the original trilogy.

The dialogue was laughly horrible though (almost everything out of Obi-wan's mouth was a cliche) and the acting was awful from everyone (minus the Emperor and Yoda) but acting was never a strong suit of Star Wars.

There are still a number of inconsistencies with the later movies such as Obi-Wan telling Luke that his father wanted him to have his lightsaber but his uncle wouldn't allow it or Leia's memories of her mother, but both those things don't kill the movie and can kinda be explained. Obi-Wan might have just thought it would be a good idea to pass on Anakin's lightsaber to Luke and Bail Organa might have had pictures of Padme that he showed Leia growing up... like Leia said, her memories were "nothing more than images really." I thought it was kind of lame that Chewbecca was in it, I would have preferred it was just some nameless wookie... but that's ok. And I thought it funny (though necessary) that C3PO has his memory wiped, though I don't know why R2D2 didn't (though clearly R2's memory needed to be intact for the premise of episode IV to work but it didn't make sense that they would wipe one and not the other).

Overall, I look forward to one day sitting down and watching all 6 movies at once... I haven't seen Episode I or II since they were in theatres so I would it would be nice to see them fresh again (as I hardly remember what happened in either film).
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

Shadowpaw wrote:I saw it yesterday afternoon and would give it a 4/5 as well. Like most people, I didn't like Episode I and thought Episode II was ok, but this one was great... I really loved the shot of Darth Vader and the Emperor approaching the skeleton of the Death Star. It was also a treat to see everything tied up and events put into motion for the original trilogy.

The dialogue was laughly horrible though (almost everything out of Obi-wan's mouth was a cliche) and the acting was awful from everyone (minus the Emperor and Yoda) but acting was never a strong suit of Star Wars.

There are still a number of inconsistencies with the later movies such as Obi-Wan telling Luke that his father wanted him to have his lightsaber but his uncle wouldn't allow it or Leia's memories of her mother, but both those things don't kill the movie and can kinda be explained. Obi-Wan might have just thought it would be a good idea to pass on Anakin's lightsaber to Luke and Bail Organa might have had pictures of Padme that he showed Leia growing up... like Leia said, her memories were "nothing more than images really." I thought it was kind of lame that Chewbecca was in it, I would have preferred it was just some nameless wookie... but that's ok. And I thought it funny (though necessary) that C3PO has his memory wiped, though I don't know why R2D2 didn't (though clearly R2's memory needed to be intact for the premise of episode IV to work but it didn't make sense that they would wipe one and not the other).

Overall, I look forward to one day sitting down and watching all 6 movies at once... I haven't seen Episode I or II since they were in theatres so I would it would be nice to see them fresh again (as I hardly remember what happened in either film).
i don't think they wiped out r2s because he couldn't cominicate to tell pell things.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Hey, did you check out Yahoo's all Time Box Office? It still hasn't kicked out Titanic yet, but it landed a spot in it by the first weekend. Heres an article of it's sales from Yahoo:

Sunday May 22, 3:03PM ET

George Lucas' final "Star Wars" movie scored the second-best three-day weekend of all time on Sunday, but the Force was not strong enough to prevent overall ticket sales in North America from posting a year-on-year-decline for the 13th consecutive weekend.

"Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" sold an estimated $108.5 million worth of tickets for the Friday-to-Sunday period, taking its total to $158.5 million since it opened after midnight on Thursday.

Its four-day haul sets a new record, surpassing the $134.3 million tally of 2003's "The Matrix Reloaded." Its Thursday tally of $50 million also set a one-day record, beating the $44.8 million sum for "Shrek 2" last year.

The three-day weekend record is held by "Spider-Man," which opened to almost $115 million in 2002. "Revenge of the Sith" narrowly pipped "Shrek 2," which opened with $108 million. Rankings could change when final data are issued on Monday.

The new "Star Wars" film easily beat the opening weekends of its two most recent predecessors, all of which were released by Twentieth Century Fox, a unit of News Corp.

"Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones" nabbed $80 million during its first weekend three years ago, while 1999's "Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace" kick-started the 28-year-old franchise with a $64.8 million bow. They ended up with $311 million and $431 million respectively.

It keeps going, but that's bascically the money part of things. I must say that this movie did justice to episodes 4,5, and 6. It suceeded in making episode 2 better...but sadly in making episode 1 worst than it already was (I mean, the style was completely off) Near the end, once images and scenes that resembled the original Star Wars appeared (the first attack scene, the Death Star), then the feel really started kicking in.

They didn't in any way stop from showing their power. They really showed us how far the Star Wars world could take us. I have a few complaints. A few scenes didn't work...and I'd disagree with the statement that the Emperor was a good actor. But, hey, he was a good fill-in for the part. Ben Kenobi had a few flaws...especially the scene where he sees the video Recording Archive (or whatever). Man, worse acting scene ever.

I could analyse this movie like the rest of you. But you guys are bringing out better stuff then I could.

I've finished laughing about how bad the diologue was by the end of episode 2. I mean, if you think about it, the old Star Wars always had troubling acting and overused clicheed remarks. Some of the way they spoke was done purposely. I mean, common, we all know Samuel Jackson (Is that his name?) is a much better actor...but his way of speech changes for this movie...making the acting seem kinda phony.

I have to give George Lucas credit for pulling it off. Getting two-thirds of a series to be good, is well, good enough.
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

ROTFLOL i saw it yesterday!! it was pretty good..but i must say that natalie portman canNOT act! and a bunch of the script was pretty lame ["anakin..your breakin my heart", "dont worry my love", the whole scene where anakin and padme are like i look beautiful cause i love you..has love blinded you? blahblahblah]. i did not comprehend how anakin actually survived the burn when his entire body was melting and he had no legs and only one arm.
but yoda was SOO awesome. i love him a bunch. the graphics were pretty cool too.. :D
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

GreenDragon wrote:but yoda was SOO awesome. i love him a bunch. the graphics were pretty cool too.. :D
Yoda was hilarious. :hilarious: Loved it when he knocked down the guards before confronting the Emperor.

. . . the audience got a kick out of that scene, too. :lol:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

GreenDragon wrote:..but i must say that natalie portman canNOT act!
And yet she was nominated for best supporting actress during the academy awards... :-s
Nick Riley
insert dash here

Post by Nick Riley »

Yeah when that happened laughter burst out and the also thought it was funny when Yoda sent The Emerpor flying backwards :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign:
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I think Natalie Portman is a fine actress, just not when working with the awful dialogue in the prequels. Even such great actors like Ewan McGregor and Samuel L. Jackson were pretty bad, a sign of a bad script and poor director, not so much the actor's fault.

George Lucas is a wonderful story teller and has a great imagination... but he's not so good at the other things.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I saw it and I LOVED it. My sister and I were talking about it afterwards and she was saying she needed to watch Return of the Jedi to remember that Anikin turned back to the good side.

I'm also glad they explained the blue ghostie dudes that appear in 4, 5, 6.
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

-Bennett Charles wrote:
GreenDragon wrote:..but i must say that natalie portman canNOT act!
And yet she was nominated for best supporting actress during the academy awards... :-s
yet another example of our countrys poor media [no idea if thats the word im looking for..] ..but when she was in a crying scene..i found it less then convincing..
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Trent DeWhite wrote: Loved it when he knocked down the guards before confronting the Emperor. . . . the audience got a kick out of that scene, too. :lol:
YA! All the people watching the movie at the same time I was thought that scene was a riot. Yoda is the coolest! We need some Star Wars emoticons!
:duel: << lightsabers this is not
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Chandler wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:She did? :-s
She said something to that effect when Luke was talking to her about being related.
When Luke tells her, she says something like, "Somehow, I think I've always known." Perhaps she was exaggerating when she made that statement? :-

I had expected Chewbacca to have a bigger role. Instead, it was really just a cameo appearance. From the way that his image was on Lays chip bags and Pepsi products etc., I assumed that he had an actual role in the movie, not just a random appearance that seems highly connected to marketing. But hey - that's okay! ;)