Pan's Labyrinth

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Pan's Labyrinth

Post by xiao »

Has anyone gotten the chance to see this film? I saw it just today and I have to say, it was absolutely excellent. It was sad, charming, artistic and brilliant. One of the best films I have seen in far too long.

Word of warning: This is a very violent movie, don't take the kids.

Of course plugged in online didn't like it, but look at the reviews from the people that actually know what they're talking about. ;)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pans_labyrinth/

It's one of the highest rated movies of the year.

If you can take the violence, then this movie is a MUST-SEE. It's just....amazing. I can't even describe it. Oh, actually, don't read the plugged in online review, it has major spoilers that ruin the movie. Read the screen it one or something.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

XDXD at your statement that rottentomatoes knows what it's talking about, or those who frequent it. Because it's not always like that, you know. ;)
However, I'd say it looks rather imaginative. Those who can stomach the violence and have a good head on their shoulders probably is able to see it without ... you know. Dying or something.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

xiao wrote:[img]Of course plugged in online didn't like it, but look at the reviews from the people that actually know what they're talking about. ;)
Okay, we're going to discount the word of fellow Christians because it's well-made?

(I am NOT saying you have to agree with Plugged In, just that you shouldn't blow them off because it's a well-made movie. Even THEY admitted it was well-made, just horrible morally.)
Oh, actually, don't read the plugged in online review, it has major spoilers that ruin the movie. Read the screen it one or something.[/b
Umm, screenit usually has even more spoilers than Plugged In. :-k
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
xiao

Post by xiao »

underdogfan710 wrote:
xiao wrote:Image
Okay, we're going to discount the word of fellow Christians because it's well-made?

(I am NOT saying you have to agree with Plugged In, just that you shouldn't blow them off because it's a well-made movie. Even THEY admitted it was well-made, just horrible morally.)
Oh, actually, don't read the plugged in online review, it has major spoilers that ruin the movie. Read the screen it one or something.[/b
Every time I post a topic about a movie that isn't a freaking Disney flick everyone loses their mind!!

The movie is not horrible morally. I don't recall Plugged In saying that. It is brutal, but not unnecessarily so. I suggest you stop judging it before seeing it.

Screenit doesn't mention character's names. Plugged In tells you who dies and how.

Last edited by xiao on Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

I saw the trailer- and I thought it looked cool. I'll see it eventually. I do fairly well in movies with disgusting stuff in it...so- meh... >_>

imho, I think PluggedIn exaggerates at times....*cough*for example*cough*POTC2*cough* :-
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

xiao wrote:
underdogfan710 wrote:
xiao wrote:[img]Of course plugged in online didn't like it, but look at the reviews from the people that actually know what they're talking about. ;)

Every time I post a topic about a movie that isn't a freaking Disney flick everyone loses their mind!!

The movie is not horrible morally. I don't recall Plugged In saying that. It is brutal, but not unnecessarily so. I suggest you stop judging it before seeing it.

Screenit doesn't mention character's names. Plugged In tells you who dies and how.

Edited by Lord_Kappaw
Oh, relax Xiao. She just said she thought you were being too hard on PI.

And they don't always saw who dies when they say how.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Plugged In is worse than reading Harry Potter. :noway:
xiao

Post by xiao »

I said the plugged in review of Pan's labyrinth tells you who dies, and it does. I didn't apply it globally.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

xiao wrote:I said the plugged in review of Pan's labyrinth tells you who dies, and it does. I didn't apply it globally.
Well, you didn't specify in that sentence if you were talking about that one movie or not, so I just misunderstood you I guess.
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

And I take Plugged In with a grain of salt, I just didn't want you discounting other Christian's opinions without even thinking about, which I realize now I didn't know if you were doing that or not. :anxious:

So I'll guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

In my opinion Plugged In's review of POTC2 was understated. :noway:

I haven't seen this movie... I never see any movies unless my sisters rent them so I probably won't see it since they aren't interested in this type of movie. :lol:
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
xiao

Post by xiao »

Lord_Kappaw wrote:In my opinion Plugged In's review of POTC2 was understated. :noway:
I hope you're joking.... \:D/
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

xiao wrote:
Lord_Kappaw wrote:In my opinion Plugged In's review of POTC2 was understated. :noway:
*cough* Pardon? Did you say understated?
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Lady Simbelpaw wrote:
xiao wrote:
Nope, not joking. Yes, I said understated. (I don't know if it's a real word, but it fits. :D)
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

xiao

Post by xiao »

Lord_Kappaw wrote:
Lady Simbelpaw wrote:
xiao wrote:
Nope, not joking. Yes, I said understated. (I don't know if it's a real word, but it fits. :D)
Normally I would laugh at something like this, but this is so insane that I'm just shocked.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

xiao wrote:
Lord_Kappaw wrote:
Lady Simbelpaw wrote:
xiao wrote:
Normally I would laugh at something like this, but this is so insane that I'm just shocked.
Too bad you have to be offensive in the way you display your apparent inability to deal with others' opinions.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

xiao wrote:
Lord_Kappaw wrote:
Lady Simbelpaw wrote:
xiao wrote:
Well I don't know, but I think this is the longest thread of quoted material I've ever quoted. (Quote upon quote upon...)

I would elaborate on my opinion of the PI review and more specifically the POTC2 movie, but this is neither the topic nor likely the board (seeing as how it will most likely turn into a debate and belongs in CCDS).

So getting back on topic, what is the story behind Pan's Labrynth? Is it a fantasy movie in another world or in this world or what? What is that thing in the picture?

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It's in Mexicanese! :x
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Sarai Binghampaw wrote:
xiao wrote:
Lord_Kappaw wrote:
Lady Simbelpaw wrote:
xiao wrote:
Too bad you have to be offensive in the way you display your apparent inability to deal with others' opinions.
I second that.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Mr Fantastic wrote:It's in Mexicanese! :x

:- Is that a language or a place?