Iron Man

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Movieman wrote:
ek wrote:Iron Man looks awesome, it'll be good as most of the marvel movies are. (/me is more looking forward to the new Batman movie.)
I don't know what I think about Heath Ledger playing the Joker... Jack Nicholson was A LOT better probably.
Nicholson is a good actor, but as a long time Joker fan I didn't think he really did a good job with the literal character of the Joker... from the bits I've seen Ledger has it down better, but it's too early to tell for sure.

ANYWAY... wow, it's been a long time since this has been bumped. ;) \:D/

Since it is now only a couple weeks away I figured I'd bring this back up and post the trailer in case no one has yet... maybe I already did, I forget. :noway:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/

I'm personally more excited about this than the new Batman or Hulk film, though they all are looking pretty good. I am moreso a fan of the Hulk (my favorite ever, or at least in a 3-way tie for the position!) and Batman overall, but this movie specifically just looks really cool, and somewhat true to its source other than some minor things getting it brought into the modern era instead of the 1960's when it was first originated. :inlove:
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

I was forced to see it last night...

I think its probably my new favorite comic book movie... I liked that it started out with the action - then had a good rest\dialogue and then went back into action, later on in the film. The special effects were well done. And the dialogue actually had value - whereas I'm of the opinion that a lot of the latest comic book movies have had horrible dialogue - they just really seem to lack.

Anyway, I'm not film expert, but I thought it was a good movie.
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
JD
Cheese Wiz Rules
Cheese Wiz Rules
Location: That white van right outside your house. Watching your every move. There's a camera behind you

Post by JD »

i haven't seen it but my fav comic book movie is Batman Begins
Save Eugene in the character competition!
mike_rowe
I've been here a bit

Post by mike_rowe »

i want the iron man video game, looks cool!
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

I haven't been able to see Iron Man yet :boohoo: .

*waits for everyone to start pitying him*

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Well, it looks really neat- the special effects and everything, however, as much as I'd LIKE to see it, I'm not going to. Here are the reasons:
Stark is well known as a womanizer, prompting a soldier to ask him whether he's gone "12 for 12" with the models on last year's Maxim covers. Stark says he missed one, but since December featured twins, 12 is still the right number. There are a few other innuendos and sexual comments as well, one of which is a joke about a man mistakenly hooking up with a transvestite. A mistaken identity gag gives a nod to Hugh Hefner.

And we see Stark hanging out with immodestly dressed women. Pepper wears a revealing, backless gown. Stark and straight-arrow military man Jim Rhodes ride one of Stark's private jets that's staffed with midriff-baring flight attendants and a stripper pole.

When a female Vanity Fair reporter asks Stark how he can sleep at night, Stark answers that he's "prepared to lose a few [hours of sleep] with you." He does exactly that in the film's most glaring sexual scene. Briefly, we see them aggressively kissing, grappling and rolling in bed together. (We don't see any nudity.)
There is also tons of language in this film- multiple profanities and the Lord's name used in vain several times.

You can find the link to the above portion of the plugged in article and a more detailed description of the profanity here-

Iron Man Article on Plugged In Online

I ask you- do you seek the Lord with all your heart? If so, do you honestly think Jesus would be happy with you watching this? After all, your body the temple of the Lord.[/quote]
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Plugged in is well known for its overexageration. All they mention is basically in the first 10 minutes of the film, and there was barely any bad language. They do also mention the valuable lessons that the movies teaches though, which far outweigh anything negative.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Whether it is all in the first ten minutes or not, there is STILL a sex scene and a lot of other sexual content in this movie that you are subjecting yourself to. And even if the language is mild, it is still language non-the-less.

If you want to learn good lessons and morals, you don't go to the world to do it. Watch a good Christian movie, read your Bible, or read a good Christian book.

I just wanted to put this out there for anyone who is interested. What you do with it now, is between you and God.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Iron and Light wrote:Whether it is all in the first ten minutes or not, there is STILL a sex scene and a lot of other sexual content in this movie that you are subjecting yourself to.
A lot of other sexual content in this movie? Let's see, there's a whole 20-30 second rolling in bed scene where the sex is never shown on screen (it implies it occurs, I suppose, but the scene changes too soon to know), and then there's a whole 15 second scene where a few flight attendants are wearing belly-type shirts. I'm going into the part where a lot of people will get annoyed with me here, so bear with me, but comparitively speaking, there's a lot worse material on nationally broadcasted stations now-a-days. The rest of the scenes are all said, not shown.

I'm not saying you should go see it, I don't really give a care, but over-exaggerations just annoy me to no end. :noway: If it's going to make someone lose their religion over, obviously, don't go see it. It's just a matter of looking away\closing the eyes for a total of about 40 seconds.
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Continental Admiral wrote:
Iron and Light wrote:Whether it is all in the first ten minutes or not, there is STILL a sex scene and a lot of other sexual content in this movie that you are subjecting yourself to.
A lot of other sexual content in this movie? Let's see, there's a whole 20-30 second rolling in bed scene where the sex is never shown on screen (it implies it occurs, I suppose, but the scene changes too soon to know), and then there's a whole 15 second scene where a few flight attendants are wearing belly-type shirts. I'm going into the part where a lot of people will get annoyed with me here, so bear with me, but comparitively speaking, there's a lot worse material on nationally broadcasted stations now-a-days. The rest of the scenes are all said, not shown.

I'm not saying you should go see it, I don't really give a care, but over-exaggerations just annoy me to no end. :noway: If it's going to make someone lose their religion over, obviously, don't go see it. It's just a matter of looking away\closing the eyes for a total of about 40 seconds.
Honestly, the fact that there's a lot worse out there really doesn't affect me in anyway. Sin is sin is sin to God. And the fact that it simply IMPLIES sex instead of showing it does little to ease my disdain :- .

Even if it is a 20-30 second clip of foreplay, it's still in there, and you're still watching it. Do you think Jesus would watch this movie, considering the content that it contains? I didn't even list the profanity heard in it, because it's not appropriate to post on this website due to the younger audience that is present here.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Plugged In wrote:
Stark is well known as a womanizer, prompting a soldier to ask him whether he's gone "12 for 12" with the models on last year's Maxim covers. Stark says he missed one, but since December featured twins, 12 is still the right number.
But you do mention that. And basically, having that there is just as bad as seeing the movie, because it is simply stated in a conversation. It's not showing each individual act, its just setting up what a sleezy person Stark is before his conversion.

Of course Plugged In listed a terrorist glancing at a poster in United 93 and "googly eyes" in Curious George as sexual content so I don't really see the point in trying to show their horrible review skills.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

The Top Crusader wrote:
Plugged In wrote:
Stark is well known as a womanizer, prompting a soldier to ask him whether he's gone "12 for 12" with the models on last year's Maxim covers. Stark says he missed one, but since December featured twins, 12 is still the right number.
But you do mention that. And basically, having that there is just as bad as seeing the movie, because it is simply stated in a conversation. It's not showing each individual act, its just setting up what a sleezy person Stark is before his conversion.

Of course Plugged In listed a terrorist glancing at a poster in United 93 and "googly eyes" in Curious George as sexual content so I don't really see the point in trying to show their horrible review skills.
Looking at someone or thing with googly eyes in a kids movie honestly is something sexual. Actually, I saw the movie and was greatly disappointed- as were my parents.

And reading something to keep from watching it is precautionary.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Iron and Light, i highly commend you for standing up on this thread!
Thanks to you, I'm not going to go see it. (Not that i cared for Iron Man anyway...)
I'm actualy disapionted with most of the rest of you on here, trying very hard to belittle what those very-christian people have to say on Plugged-In Online; Those people are proffesional christians whos job is to protect our minds and souls from obsene material.
I have high respect for them, and for people like Iron and Light who listen to the Lord and follow through with what they think He is telling them.

"Our Body is a Temple for the Lord"
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

Iron Man was an excellent movie indeed, perhaps one of the best superhero movies of all time, and certainly leagues better than Spiderman's latest effort.

The sex scene is hardly obscene and very minimal, it's place in the movie is not useless or unneeded, it is a character developmental scene and I would say that the movie still has an overwhelmingly positive message.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

xiao wrote: The sex scene is hardly obscene and very minimal, it's place in the movie is not useless or unneeded, it is a character developmental scene and I would say that the movie still has an overwhelmingly positive message.
And if you blink, you'd never see it anyway.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Jellyfish11 wrote: I'm actualy disapionted with most of the rest of you on here, trying very hard to belittle what those very-christian people have to say on Plugged-In Online; Those people are proffesional christians whos job is to protect our minds and souls from obsene material.
I have high respect for them, and for people like Iron and Light who listen to the Lord and follow through with what they think He is telling them.
Professional Christians? :-s
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Jellyfish11 wrote:Iron and Light, i highly commend you for standing up on this thread!
Thanks to you, I'm not going to go see it. (Not that i cared for Iron Man anyway...)
I'm actualy disapionted with most of the rest of you on here, trying very hard to belittle what those very-christian people have to say on Plugged-In Online; Those people are proffesional christians whos job is to protect our minds and souls from obsene material.

"Our Body is a Temple for the Lord"
I echo what ek has said...

Plugged In is run by a group of Christian adults who write reviews on media from their perspectives as believers. Nothing wrong with that but...

These writers are not God, and should not be turned to as a source of all knowledge, even though they are a good reference, they should not be made a standard of all things good and Christian.

Yes, I respect their reviews, but I take them with a grain of salt. As Top, or whoever said, Plugged In has a tendency to over react to situations.

Just my two cents and my opinion...
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

PluggedIn Online is secretly run by the Illuminati. :shock:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

*thread merged*

I was looking for the Iron Man thread in the MPA so I could share my thoughts now that I’ve finally seen it, but apparently we don’t have one. So I guess I’ll start one because I think it deserves some discussion, being the origin of what has become quite an impressive cinematic organization by Marvel.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I love Iron Man. \:D/ There's something incredibly attractive about his change of heart from the obnoxious, arrogant billionaire in the first film to the true hero he becomes at the end of the third one.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa