Amazing Grace

Who's seen it?

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Amazing Grace

Post by Thursday Next »

I just saw this movie to day and it was awesome. They had a great cast and the story, I thought, was well written.
Impossible is Nothing
Tallying up

Post by Impossible is Nothing »

I haven't seen it , but I'm wanting to .
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

I saw it, it was most excellent. I have to get that bagpipe and drum version of "Amazing Grace" they play at the end for my iPod.
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I have seen it twice. It is excellent. =D>
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

I was a little surprised it took so long for a thread to pop up about this movie. I went to openining night and was totally blown out of my seat. The acting was superb and the dialogue was witty and sharp, which are the two biggest complaints about Christian films. This movie stands head and shoulers over recent 'Christian' films like "The Nativity Story", and "One Night with the King" (thought those were both good) and rivals the Chronicles of narnia for the best Christian film I've seen in cinemas. The only movie I can truly compare it with is "Luther" for those who have seen it, and "Amazing Grace" is every bit as good as that one.

I really do urge everyone to go see this film.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'd like to see it but my local theater isn't showing it. :noway:

But I think its cool that the dude who played MR FANTASTIC is the main actor in this. \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I want to see it, but I might wait and rent it whenever it comes out on DVD. I'm glad that I'm reading such good things about it! \:D/

You mean that you're starring in the movie, Toppykins? Yay! \:D/ Mrs. Fantastic forever!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I have to admit I might have to see it again because initially I was going through and saying stuff like, I've seen him in this, and that's Mr. Rodchester.
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

I haven't seen it but REALLY REALLY want to! I read a little (not enough to spoil it...) of the pluggedin review though and was kind of surprised at the language angle...though most of them aren't like really bad words (and some of them might not actually be used in an incorrect sense) it was still a little surprising for a Christian film. But, I still can't wait to see it!!!! Yay Amazing Grace! :D

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

^Same here about the language. I was wanting to see the movie, but after reading that about language, I don't anymore. :( I'd rather not have to listen to that if I don't have to. It's too bad - it sounds like a good movie otherwise.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

I really want to see it. I'm probably going with a few friends in a week or so. :D
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Laura Ingalls wrote:^Same here about the language. I was wanting to see the movie, but after reading that about language, I don't anymore. :( I'd rather not have to listen to that if I don't have to. It's too bad - it sounds like a good movie otherwise.
watch it w/ TV guardian. I've watched bunches of movies that way and I've only heard it miss a bad word once (and it was said super fast) I'm still going to watch it though.....soon hopefully!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Can someone tell me... is this "officially" a Christian film? I've heard conflicting things.

I assumed with the director of "Ray" and Graffoud (or whatever his name is... :anxious: ) on board, it was a "real" movie... not something put out by a Christian company...

And TV Guardian is the most annoying thing in the world. :noway:
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I'd have to go back and watch it, but on first watch I didn't find the language as bad as the pluggedin review is making it out to be. Even if they were used it was in the heated discussions that were taking place.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I couldn't tell you for sure, Top, but to me it looks like one of those films with good stuff that was not made at least solely Christianly. The official website lists a lot of affiliates, some of which are Christian and some that aren't, and has a link to Bristol Bay Productions, which also did Ray, as you mentioned, and Sahara, which was definitely not intended to be Christian.

The trailer on the official site make the movie look good! :D
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Thursday Next wrote:I'd have to go back and watch it, but on first watch I didn't find the language as bad as the pluggedin review is making it out to be. Even if they were used it was in the heated discussions that were taking place.
that's encouraging.

and yes, TV Guardian is sometimes annoying...like during Phantom of the Opera when he's singing a really cool part and it cuts it out because it could be a bad word (though he's not using it as a bad word) ugg...those times annoy me. but also, watching a movie full of bad language annoys me, so hey, whatever.

Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

Thursday Next wrote:I'd have to go back and watch it, but on first watch I didn't find the language as bad as the pluggedin review is making it out to be. Even if they were used it was in the heated discussions that were taking place.
Yeah, I didn't find the language all that bad either... but I guess if you're sensitive to that stuff, I can see where it might bother you. It's not gratuitous though. I took note of it, but it didn't really bother me.
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

Catspaw wrote:I want to see it, but I might wait and rent it whenever it comes out on DVD. I'm glad that I'm reading such good things about it! \:D/
If you can at all see it in theaters, I encourage you to, we should support these movies when the come out.
Larua Ingals wrote:^Same here about the language. I was wanting to see the movie, but after reading that about language, I don't anymore. I'd rather not have to listen to that if I don't have to. It's too bad - it sounds like a good movie otherwise.
The language is NOT as bad as Pluggedinonline makes it seem. First, 'bloody' won't be noticed at all unless you're British and several of the instances of H--- are not curses but actual usages (I think John Newton uses it once, telling Wilber Wilberforce exactly where slavery coems from). The other three 'profanities' are really just appropriate period pieces. The language in this movie is NOT offensive to even the most delicate of ears (I went to see it with a girl who hadn't been to the theater for years because of her desire to not be offended, this movie was not offensive in the least to her). Trust me, unless you decide beforehand to be offended, you will NOT be offended by the language.
The Top Crusader wrote: Can someone tell me... is this "officially" a Christian film?
No, this film is neither advertised as a Christian film nor produced by a Christian company. However, the film is historically accurate, which makes the content Christian. It's very comparable to Chronicles of Narnia in it's 'Christianness'. It is most definitly NOT the cheesefest of pathetic quality that is related to most Christian films (see 'Sheffey' or other Unusual Films productions). I would say that it is, like Narnia, an accurate and fair adaptation of a Christian story done by a secular company.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Well, I just heard James Dobson talking about it, and he HIGHLY recommended it and didn't complain about the swearing, so that's good enough for me! \:D/
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I wouldn't go to a PG movie because of language... I'll probably see it soon.
Last edited by Shad Lexer on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.