Shaun of the Dead

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Shaun of the Dead

Post by xiao »

Anyone seen it? I love this movie, one of my favorite comedies ever. Just hilarious.
Last edited by xiao on Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Just stupid. One of my least favorites ever.

I wouldn't have been that harsh, but I wanted to mirror your post. Saw it once, wasn't impressed.
xiao

Post by xiao »

Jonathan wrote:Just stupid. One of my least favorites ever.

I wouldn't have been that harsh, but I wanted to mirror your post. Saw it once, wasn't impressed.
Why didn't you like it? It's clever, smart, and really funny. You probably just couldn't understand the accents. :P
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

xiao wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Just stupid. One of my least favorites ever.

Why didn't you like it? It's clever, smart, and really funny. You probably just couldn't understand the accents. :P
Nah, the accents were just fine (I've got an odd voice, so I'm good at understanding accents). Just not my type of humor I guess.
xiao

Post by xiao »

you have to realize that the gags aren't spelled out for you, it's more subtle (I don't know if you can call shaun subtle though). Because it's british humor.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

xiao wrote:you have to realize that the gags aren't spelled out for you, it's more subtle (I don't know if you can call shaun subtle though). Because it's british humor.
I realize that Xiao ;) And I like lots of British humor (the Monty Python tv show was just classic). But this one just didn't do it for me.
xiao

Post by xiao »

Speaking of british humor, ever seen the british office? Most people here have seen the american one, but the british one is what the american one is based on, and it too is awesome.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I could be wrong, but, apart from various copyright issues, I recall that several networks wouldn't show the British "Office" as they thought it might be a bit too much for we tender Americans. ;)

Nevertheless....

"Shawn of the Dead" you must remember, is a parody. Its usually helpful to see the original in order to understand one. Not necessary, but certainly recommended. In any event, I'm not a huge fan of the zombie genre, but I have a number of friends who are fans of both films.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Shaun of the Dead was great! I need to pick it up on DVD eventually... \:D/
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

xiao wrote:Speaking of british humor, ever seen the british office? Most people here have seen the american one, but the british one is what the american one is based on, and it too is awesome.
I haven't seen the American one yet.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I watch very little new TV... but "The Office" is about the only sitcom I go out of my way to make sure I get to see... really great show, and overall pretty clean, too.

This is the US version I'm talking about, I've not yet seen the British...
xiao

Post by xiao »

Sherlock Holmes wrote:I could be wrong, but, apart from various copyright issues, I recall that several networks wouldn't show the British "Office" as they thought it might be a bit too much for we tender Americans. ;)
Nope, I'm afraid you're mistaken. ;) I've seen the british office quote a few times on public television, totally uncut. But yes, it is much more profane than the American version. Although most of the swearing is "british" swearing, if you know what I mean. It doesn't seem quite as bad.
The Top Crusader wrote:Shaun of the Dead was great! I need to pick it up on DVD eventually... \:D/
I've got the DVD, it's awesome! \:D/
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Sherlock Holmes wrote:I could be wrong, but, apart from various copyright issues, I recall that several networks wouldn't show the British "Office" as they thought it might be a bit too much for we tender Americans. ;)
Well, I believe it's a mixture between that, and the fact that in the UK, they don't have commercial breaks, and therefore, the episodes really are 30 minutes long, rather than 23 (or however long the episodes are without commercials added in) as we're used to. So, time constraints play a big part in it, as well. That's at least why they don't play it on network channels, you can catch it on BBC (that's the only channel I've seen it on, but there may be more) if you really look for it. :p

Sarah
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

Shaun of the dead is just stupid.

Check out my newspaper To0 Star
xiao

Post by xiao »

People who think Shaun of the Dead is stupid are probably too stupid to understand its humor. It goes much deeper then simply being a parody, or being random. You really have to understand it.

Americans have been desensatized by poop jokes, where every laugh is obnoxious and spelled out for them. Norbit and Epic Movie are prime examples of this. If there's not a black guy in a fat lady suit, a guy getting a rocket shoved up his bum, or a fat guy dancing to "my humps" then America just doesn't get it. A shame that we have become so accustomed to poop humor. One example of a recent American comedy that truely shines is Little Miss Sunshine, which takes on a very british styled humor.

Hmm I believe everyone in this thread got owned. =D>

Double post edited.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I haven't been desensatized by poop jokes, because I don't partake of such stupid movies as Epic and Norbit. I still didn't find Shaun of the Dead that funny. Doesn't make me stupid. End of story.
xiao wrote:Hmm I believe everyone in this thread got owned. =D>
Or maybe, just maybe, no one wanted to waste their time arguing with you as you seem forever bent on insulting anyone and everyone who disagrees with you to any degree.
xiao

Post by xiao »

I wasn't talking to you Jonathan.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Jonathan isn't part of 'everyone'? :anxious:
xiao

Post by xiao »

Nope.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

xiao wrote:I wasn't talking to you Jonathan.
I assume you were talking about the first half of my post, and I didn't think you were, but hey, it couldn't have hurt to clarify my position ^_^

edit-and maybe some people in the 'everyone' (which appearently doesn't include me) just have different tastes in humor. In which case doesn't make them stupid either.