Sigmund Brouwer

A great Canadian author!

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")

Your opinion of Sigmund Brouwer's writing

I love it! I'm going to go re-read all his books!
100%
It's okay. I guess. Whatever.
No votes
Don't mention his name - it brings back horrific memories!
No votes
Is he related to Freud?
No votes

Total votes: 4

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Sigmund Brouwer

Post by Catspaw »

I've read most of Sigmund Brouwer's books, and loved them all! His kids books are fun, and his adult books are very different in some ways, yet still wonderful! He's from Alberta, but most of his books take place in the States. He's married to Cindy Morgan, a Christian musician - some of you might be more familiar with her music than his writing! When I was in grade 11, I had to write an essay about a Canadian (I'm a Canadian, in case somebody didn't know) and I wrote about Sigmund Brouwer. He's the reason that I can remember which year that my parents were born - it's the same year that Sigmund Brouwer was born, and whenever I saw it at the beginning of one of his books, I would remember!

I could never pick a favourite Sigmund Brouwer book! Yesterday I finished one of his newer adult Christian fiction books, the third in the Nick Barrett series, entitled The Lies of the Saints. The ending was surprising, but the clues were there, I just didn't put them together correctly!

He wrote the Accidental Detective series, the Winds of Light series, the Mars Diaries books, and a series about WHL hockey (the Lightening on Ice books) for kids, as well as some other stuff. His adult stuff includes a Western series and some mystery-type books, though they're more than that.

If you haven't read anything by Sigmund Brouwer, I would recommend at least some of his books to people of all ages! The kids books could be enjoyed at all ages, since I'm 19 and I still re-read some of his books that I first read when I was 12! :D For his adult fiction, I would suggest that if you do not find it enjoyable to contemplate whether or not there is a bear trap beside your bed, waiting for you to step into it in the dark, then perhaps you should wait a couple years! ;)

Sigmund Brouwer tries to encourage kids, especially boys, to read, and some of his books are aimed towards guys more than girls, though I still like all his books! He has a website about some of that stuff. http://www.coolreading.com/ I haven't read the new books that are shown on the front page of the site, so I can't comment on them specifically, but they're probably quite good!

Are there any other fans out there?
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've read the Mars Diaries series and the Winds of Light, if those are the ones set in the Middle Ages.

I really liked them except I got a little annoyed at how he repeated so much in every Mars Diaries book. All the explanation of how he got in a wheelchair, etc. etc. I mean, if people don't know that, they should read the series in order! (Sorry for that little rant, it happens to be a pet peeve of mine. :anxious: )

I haven't read the Accidental Detectives because our library for some odd reason only has the last 4 in the series and I don't like to jump in in the middle. They look pretty good though.

I also haven't read any of his adult books...I should see if our library has them...
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I should warn you that there's some repetition in the Accidental Detectives books as well, Laura. I think it's because not everybody does read every book, or people read stuff months or years apart, and forget some of the details that they need for stuff to make sense. It's annoying if your reading them close together, but nice it you read the last book a year ago!

The reason that your library has the last 4 is probably because most of the books are old, and then a couple years ago Sigmund Brouwer put out a couple more in the series. I haven't read two of the newer ones, and I think one was just put out again under a different cover, and maybe "modernized" a bit.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I've read his articles in Clubhouse! :lol:

Looking at the website I can see that I haven't read that much of his work. I thought I'd read the entire Winds of Light series but I see now that there's an 8th book that I didn't read. That's it really for entire books. :anxious: I believe I've skimmed some others and read summaries of them. :-k