[ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:47 pm 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!

Cash: 0.91
Darcie wrote:
Elrohir wrote:
The writers may want to do another, but I seriously doubt Disney will let them. I don't think they've ever made more than 3 movies of the same title. I could see them doing a TV series though (not that anyone has talked about it yet, but I'm just saying...).

And for an example of something that they've done more than 3 of, I offer you the Air Bud series (now at 6). ;)

oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah... -_-

http://www.s8int.com

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:51 pm 
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank
just realized that she has a status to write in...ooOOoohh

Cash: 0.52
Bank: 207.88
Elrohir wrote:
Darcie wrote:
Elrohir wrote:
The writers may want to do another, but I seriously doubt Disney will let them. I don't think they've ever made more than 3 movies of the same title. I could see them doing a TV series though (not that anyone has talked about it yet, but I'm just saying...).

And for an example of something that they've done more than 3 of, I offer you the Air Bud series (now at 6). ;)

oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah... -_-

Gah...I remember Air Bud.... :sick:

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:25 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Nostalgic

Cash: 0.80
Bank: 75.00
Blog: View Blog (1)
*Sigh* I watched it again tonight. Wow, watching it a second time was good; I understand so much more. And I like it even better.

My former youth pastor preached a message on Sunday about how fairy tales and myths are really just reflections of the bigger, better, and truer stories of the supernatural. I loved the mythology and supernatural elements of the movie, and it just excited me more this time, I guess.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:07 pm 
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank
just realized that she has a status to write in...ooOOoohh

Cash: 0.52
Bank: 207.88
Arwen wrote:
*Sigh* I watched it again tonight. Wow, watching it a second time was good; I understand so much more. And I like it even better.

My former youth pastor preached a message on Sunday about how fairy tales and myths are really just reflections of the bigger, better, and truer stories of the supernatural. I loved the mythology and supernatural elements of the movie, and it just excited me more this time, I guess.

I've seen it twice as well. :)

Now, for myself- I understood it completely the first time I watched it...I was able to follow everything and such. Although, watching it the second time, allowed me to remember some of the very funny lines!

Let me lend a machete to your intellectual thicket...

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:00 am 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Cash: 1,748.46
Bank: 57,000.00
It took me two viewings to really understand everything that was going on in this movie, there are so many different motivations to keep track of, so I definitely get if people are put off by it for being too complex or anything like that, but I really like it. I think most people use that as one of their primary points of why it's not good, but for me it's a point to the opposite. I like how complex it is because once you get it sorted out it provides a very detailed narrative to explore.

This movies examines more of the political machinations at work in this world which I like and it blends it with the supernatural stuff in a way that just seems so cool to me. I like how no one is phased by all the crazy stuff, that's just how their world is. And they not only live with it, they use it. Beckett's like yeah so there's this undead guy with a monster crew and a ship that goes underwater, you know what since I have tenuous authority over him right now I'll use him to secure my control over this territory and boost my trade business.

Speaking of those two, I really like the interplay of Beckett and Davy Jones in scenes like "The Dutchman sails as its captain commands." "And its captain is to sail as commanded."

I thought it was neat also to see how there are all those different pirate factions, and how and when they do and don't work together. Really expanding and detailing the world these movies take place in.

Online Profile E-mail  

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:06 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 8,203.63
Bank: 1,958.31
I definitely agree that it takes a couple of viewings to catch the nuances and try to keep track of the double-crosses and the fakeouts and all the other twists. I enjoyed it more on the second viewing because I didn't have to spend as much time trying to figure out who was on who's side or what was going on. In my opinion, it's inferior to the first two movies and they tried a little too hard and lost part of what makes the movies fun and special, but it's still an okay third installment. For the most part, the characters are still there, just a little lost at times.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:45 am 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

I just realized something else related to how complex this one's story is: the wait time between this and the previous movie if you hadn't rewatched that before going out to see this one! That must have just been crazy. This movie has its own mess of plotlines to keep track of, but that's not even considering everything that had been set up before and still needs to be followed!

I didn't start seeing these at the theater until the next movie, so I had an advantage watching them while they were all out and being able to set my own pace of when to continue. The first time I watched them there wasn't a super long amount of time between, but there was some, so I was able to get the gist of what was going on but had trouble following all the specifics. The second time, knowing now how intricately connected they were, I watched DMC and this on back to back nights so everything was as fresh as possible and that's when the details cleared up.

This and DMC are one long movie, really. Each needs the other. I wonder if that was a part of why this one wasn't overly well received when it first premiered, because a lot of people had only seen the last movie at the theater and then went to this a year later not remembering important details and were caught really unprepared for what this movie is.

Online Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:44 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 8,203.63
Bank: 1,958.31
That's a good point. I was a big fan by the time the second one came out and followed stuff enough to know that the second and third ones would be closely connected. I was watching for clues and little things that might connect with the third one, and then by the time that one was in theatres, I was ready to fill in the blanks in the story. On the other hand, I remember seeing an interview with the two main writers (Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio) saying that some reviewers couldn't even tell the difference between Norrington and Beckett. If you're mixing up main characters because they wear wigs and have accents, the review probably isn't going to be that favourable. ;) Not to say that there weren't any flaws, but to me that fits with bookworm's comment. This film may have been a better fit for fans who made an effort to be knowledgeable and make connections than as a generic big budget action adventure.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:23 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Yeah, and ever since this one the series moved in the direction of each new movie having some running references and connections to the bigger story if you get them, but being able to stand alone fine if you don't.

Online Profile E-mail  

[ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7