The Passion of the Christ

Discuss Mel Gibson's film here

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

The Passion of the Christ

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Just wondering who here has seen The Passion of the Christ.

I saw it last year when it first came out. Boy, certainly an eye-opener for myself. To see Jesus go through all that suffering really made me appreciate his love for me all the more. I think the biggest thing I took out of the film was the fact that he died for my sins--that which I commmit daily. It hurt seeing him suffer because I knew he was suffering in my stead.

Thank the Lord that, through his death and resurrection, we can receive redemption from the sin which spiritually, emotionally, and physically bogs us down in life. Hallelujah! \:D/
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

I have never seen it.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I hope to see it soon.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I haven't seen it as well but hope to sometime.
Shad Lexer

Post by Shad Lexer »

Are you gonna see the original or the re-cut, Bmuntz?
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Probably the re-cut version but i'm not sure.
Shad Lexer

Post by Shad Lexer »

I heard that it took out some inportant parts, but I don't know which one I'll see.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I thought they only took out like 5 minutes of the beating parts but if there's importing things that are missed in the re-cut version then I will probably watch the first
Shad Lexer

Post by Shad Lexer »

Well, I HEARD, that the 5 minutes that they took out were the most emotional for Christians.....
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Well, I wouldn't say the scenes were emotional as much as they were simply brutal. :| To be honest, I found the entire movie rather moving . . .
Fenix
The Rich

Post by Fenix »

I m going to be serious for a moment. Some people feel a particular way about the movie, to those of you who do, this is for you.

I have seen the film and I just don't understand the critics when referring to this film as anti-Semitic. Maybe someone here can shed some light on this. Why didnt the Germans protest when Schindlers List was made? If they did I never heard about it. Why didn't I protest when the film "Roots" was made? Why didnt I protest the movies made about the slaughter of the American Indians? Where were the Catholics protesting when all the films involving the Catholic Inquisitions were released? For so many years we have seen films of atrocities that have occurred due to people of various bloodlines. I'm just wondering how a few Pharisees in this movie could account for an entire Jewish population? Where do these people get off attacking Mel for portraying forgiveness and love? Maybe if this movie was played in the 1940s in Nazi Germany argument could be raised that it might provoke even more violence although I dont know how much more badly it could have gotten. However, we live in a time where tolerance is force fed down everyones throat. We must watch our Ps and Qs because of political correctness. And yet despite all this there is outcry over something that happened thousands of years ago. I'm sorry but with this rationale we might as well never talk about history period. Someone is going to be offended any way you look at it. This is just ludicrous. The movie clearly was not about Jews killing Jesus it was about man in general mocking him, denying him, beating him, and ultimately killing him. Does it really matter that a few will miss this message and say or do foolish things? Doesnt that happen anyway with about any movie involving violence? I have read literally hundreds of reviews regarding this movie and for the most part I think it has had a very positive impact on people. My own personal experience has been very positive. I have realized things within me that I didnt dare look at before. I think I have become much more tolerant as a result of this film. When I see those images in my mind of Jesus taking a beating and dying only because he loved me I cannot feel angry. I feel that I dont even have the right to be angry. There is an inner peace within inside myself that I never had or felt before. I think at one point in time when people were not privy to the gospels and most were illiterate. Priests, rabbis, ministers, reverends etc. were important. But because such a dependence on these figures took place they were almost classified as gods rather than mere mortal men. History shows us that man in general is vain and very egocentric. Man will eventually abuse the power that has been given to him. Thus we have the persecution of Jesus, the Catholic Inquisitions and many other atrocities all in the name of religion. I think as individuals we need be more responsible for our own spirituality and not depend on some other man to spoon feed us. I have nothing wrong with fellow Christians congregating with each other but when the church leader becomes deified Im leery.
One I Froggy
My posts are revolutionary

Post by One I Froggy »

I saw the movie last year in theatres with my dad, and it really moved me. I cried. I bought it when it came out on DVD and every time I see it, I learn something new. I think it was very brave of Mel Gibson to make this movie, and I am glad he did. I believe his reasons were pure, not to make money. And he believe in this project so much, he backed it with his name, image and money.
I agree with Fenix, and I do not understand why critics would cry anti-semitism towards this movie.
All in all, I believe it is very powerful and moving.
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

I saw it in theatres. Own It on DVD. Hope to see it in theatres again this year.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

frogalwyz wrote:I saw the movie last year in theatres with my dad, and it really moved me. I cried. I bought it when it came out on DVD and every time I see it, I learn something new. I think it was very brave of Mel Gibson to make this movie, and I am glad he did. I believe his reasons were pure, not to make money. And he believe in this project so much, he backed it with his name, image and money.

I agree with Fenix, and I do not understand why critics would cry anti-semitism towards this movie. All in all, I believe it is very powerful and moving.
I totally agree with your comments regarding Mel Gibson. God certainly used Mel to create a film that has impacted literally millions of viewers all over the world. I also believe he created this with pure intentions, and I'm grateful that so many have been able to see the film and be touched by its message of unconditional love.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

*thread merged*

I haven't seen postings on this topic, but if there is, please redirect me or close this post down.

Have you seen it? What are your thoughts?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Ahem.

:: pages David Harley ::

There's already a thread dedicated to The Passion right here. :anxious:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

this was a very moving film which I have seen three or four times.

On the antisemetic point. Most of these worries were before the film actually came out. It was more about it could contain this. Mel Gibson apparently removed a couple of lines that people thought might be this way. THis was before the first film was released. I don't recall actaully hearing anything about this after the film was released though. I think most people realized it was speculation and not actual fact. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

This interview really puts things in perspective, and I wanted to share it with all of you. I never realized some of the things he had to go through while portraying Christ, and how much of a deep faith he has in Jesus. I encourage all of you to watch this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/v/MwEbu4VC9bU

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

WOW! That was amazing. I need to get a copy of that and watch it this weekend.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

So I'd seen this film a couple times since it was released, and I remember being emotionally affected and all that.. however, last Friday it completely wrecked me. I staggered away in complete awe and reverence. Mel Gibson created a divinely inspired masterpiece that literally had me sobbing from the very first scene onward.

I mean, it's literally packed with theologically brilliant artistic embellishments. The snake in the garden being crushed by the Son of Man's heel, as prophesied in the book of Genesis. The demonic wrath that haunted Judas. Satan, the representation of all that is Evil, subtly observing Christ's fate from a threatening distance. The flashbacks. The resurrection scene.

The focus of the film isn't on the brutality of Jesus' final twelve hours. It's about the relationships that Jesus shared. Most of the film is actually shown from Mary's perspective, as well as from the perspectives of Pilot's wife, Simon the Cyrenian, and the girl who brought water to Jesus as he lay on the ground. It also features (and this one blew my mind!), a profoundly subtle portrayal of the Holy Trinity. Jesus Christ, the Son, crucified. The Spirit, manifested as a Dove, fluttering above the Roman courthouse during Jesus' trail. And after calling out to his Father throughout the film during his physical and spiritual torment, we are finally given a glimpse of the Father's perspective right after Jesus breathes his last. An aerial view suddenly forms into a tear drop, revealing the Father's agony for his Son. This is like.. profound revelation.

Don't leave me hangin', guys. I know a lot of people watch this film over Easter, and I want to hear what you guys think. In general.
Last edited by jelly on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait