Harry Potter Character

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Do you like Harry Potter

Poll ended at Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:41 am

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 17

Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Harry Potter Character

Post by Iverkid »

i really enjoy the harry potter books but i was just curious, if any of you have read the harry potter books or even watched the movies i would like to know your thoughts on the harry potter character. harry potter is an interesting character. the one flaw he really seems to have is that he almost always is only caring about himself. he has a problem caring about caring about other peoples feelings especially. an example is like in the fourth book at the yule ball when he asks parvati to the ball but half way into the ball he deserts her and practically ignores her. this is one of the ways i think he is selfish.

well anyway i would like anyone else's thoughts on this if they have any.

Iverkid
Pray for Sri Lanka.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I love Harry Potter and I have read all of the books, except for the new one that comes out in July. I have seen all three movies in the theaters and also own them on DVD.
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

yeah that bugs me too how he and Ron ignore there dates! its like come on guys have a good time its not like they were bad dates.
Image [img]
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

yeah the book states very clearly that parvati and padma were beautiful.
Pray for Sri Lanka.
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Ooh, cool topic.

I don't know, I think Harry and Ron's actions at the Yule Ball didn't show selfishness as much as how uncomfortable they are with Padma and Parvati, who they don't know well. The girls being pretty probably only makes their situation more unbearable. I find that bit of the scene very realistic, though I do feel sorry for the girls and I agree the guys didn't consider their feelings in the least.

I've heard some people argue that Harry has no personality--that he's very bland so that many readers can identify with him. I disagree, but they do have a point. If our main character was Hermione or Ron or Neville or someone, they might be a little harder to identify with due to their stronger personality traits. Being in Hermione's point of view would become wearing--who wants to hear endless narrative on whatever she's researching lately, or her S.P.E.W. activities?

But Harry does have a personality. How many people would really have put up with Umbrige's abuse in detention, or Snape's on a daily basis, without making more complaints to Dumbledore? Harry is extremely stubborn and somewhat prideful. I don't think he's terribly selfish when it comes to his friends--he cares for them very deeply. And his horror at what he learns about his father in book 5 shows how he identifies with and cares for the picked-on--even if the picked-on is someone he otherwise hates. Frankly, Harry turned out remarkably well considering his upbringing. Who was around to show him how to be kind?

While we're talking interesting characters, let's talk some Snape :) Complexity personified.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I've only seen the movies (the first and second anyway) and while fairly entertaining, they didn't move me to read the books or follow any more of the movies. I don't know much about the character of Harry, he doesn't seem very real to me I guess...since the theme of the book is so unreal. *shrugs*
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

snape is one of my fav charicters! so mysteries and so much more to learn about him.
Image [img]
serrebi
29K to go!

Post by serrebi »

LovedbyGod wrote:I've only seen the movies (the first and second anyway) and while fairly entertaining, they didn't move me to read the books or follow any more of the movies. I don't know much about the character of Harry, he doesn't seem very real to me I guess...since the theme of the book is so unreal. *shrugs*
I hated all three movies! Especialy the 3rd one how they rushed through the scenes just to get to the big dementor scene.
Don't even begin to judge the serries on the movies. I thought the movies were borring but I love the books., and if you love great plots and backstory ideas and such and have a creative mind you'll love harry potter, the books.
Not saying, if you don't like them, your not creative, but it was the best way I could say what I wanted to say, ok? :P Anyway...
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

LovedbyGod wrote:I don't know much about the character of Harry, he doesn't seem very real to me I guess...since the theme of the book is so unreal. *shrugs*
The movies don't make Harry seem real, I agree :-| I have to take issue with the theme being unreal. The themes of these books are very, very real.

That what is right is not often what is easy, nor what is easy what is right.

That it is not our abilities or our families that make us who we are, but our choices.

That love is the power unknown to evil, and that greater love hath no man than this: that he lay down his life for his friends (or in this case, that she lay down her life for her son--though, who knows, Harry may have to lay down his own life).

Unfortunately, movies aren't the best way to exhibit the truer themes of these books, and while the movies capture the plot, they haven't captured the heart of these books. Nor the finer details of plotting and characterization that make the books worthwhile.
mellow wrote:snape is one of my fav charicters! so mysteries and so much more to learn about him.
Exactly! Severus Snape is an iceberg, eight-ninths below the surface, though I do hope we learn more. One of my favorite fictional characters of all time.
serrebi wrote:I hated all three movies! Especialy the 3rd one how they rushed through the scenes just to get to the big dementor scene.
I could only watch the third movie once. Decent movie, but they butchered Rowling's beautiful plotting by doing what you say: rushing the important details. Book 3 is my favorite of them all, but the movie made me so sad. The movies are like distorted, blurry reflections of the books.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I tried to read the first book a while ago but it didn't have anything that pulled me in within the first few chapters so I gave it up. A book has to hook me soon or I won't be able to keep it. LOTR I pushed through because of how great the movies were and how much people loved it. I actually read the LOTR books after the first movie though.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
EugeneFan
OK

Post by EugeneFan »

I enjoy reading the Harry Potter books and watching the movies :).

One problem I have with Harry is his behavior in Book 5. He seems to be too angry and moody. I understand that teenagers his age can sometimes act this way, but I still wished Harry hadn't.

As I said, I enjoy the movies as well. However, I agree that the plots are very rushed in them. Unfortunately, this has to be the case. To get all the details in the movies would mean they would have to be over four hours long!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

EugeneFan wrote:As I said, I enjoy the movies as well. However, I agree that the plots are very rushed in them. Unfortunately, this has to be the case. To get all the details in the movies would mean they would have to be over four hours long!
I think plots are often rushed when books are adapted. I felt the exact same way when listening to Anne of Green Gables on Radio Theatre. I've read that book several times so I know it well. The RT version seemed to jump from one major event to another leaving out so many details. :-k
Fletcher
Hexadecimal teenager
Location: Smallville, Kansas, with regular commutes to Odyssey, Ohio

Post by Fletcher »

EugeneFan wrote:One problem I have with Harry is his behavior in Book 5. He seems to be too angry and moody. I understand that teenagers his age can sometimes act this way, but I still wished Harry hadn't.
I was annoyed with Harry's attitude in Book 5 too, you have to admit it makes sense. I mean, he's under much more stress than an average teenager. His parents are dead, his only living relatives abuse him, he's fought Lord Voldermort a ton of times and at the end of Book 4 he sees a friend of his murdered. Not to mention that in Book 5, he's ridiculed by most of the wizarding world for saying that Voldemort is back and he's under constant persecution by Umbridge. I mean, Harry's attitude in Book 5 is disagreeable, but it's a necessary step for him. I mean, he needed to collapse under all the pressure sooner or later, or he'd be totally unrealistic.
EUGENE IS BACK!!!
Iverkid
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Iverkid »

Joni_Slade wrote:Ooh, cool topic.

I don't know, I think Harry and Ron's actions at the Yule Ball didn't show selfishness as much as how uncomfortable they are with Padma and Parvati, who they don't know well. The girls being pretty probably only makes their situation more unbearable. I find that bit of the scene very realistic, though I do feel sorry for the girls and I agree the guys didn't consider their feelings in the least.

I've heard some people argue that Harry has no personality--that he's very bland so that many readers can identify with him. I disagree, but they do have a point. If our main character was Hermione or Ron or Neville or someone, they might be a little harder to identify with due to their stronger personality traits. Being in Hermione's point of view would become wearing--who wants to hear endless narrative on whatever she's researching lately, or her S.P.E.W. activities?

But Harry does have a personality. How many people would really have put up with Umbrige's abuse in detention, or Snape's on a daily basis, without making more complaints to Dumbledore? Harry is extremely stubborn and somewhat prideful. I don't think he's terribly selfish when it comes to his friends--he cares for them very deeply. And his horror at what he learns about his father in book 5 shows how he identifies with and cares for the picked-on--even if the picked-on is someone he otherwise hates. Frankly, Harry turned out remarkably well considering his upbringing. Who was around to show him how to be kind?

While we're talking interesting characters, let's talk some Snape Complexity personified.
You definitely have some good points and i see how he did turn out pretty well considering his upbringing. but i still think that his character could be a little more considerate of other peoples feelings, ecspecially in the 5th book. he has quite a few weird mood swings in that book.

oh and im glad a good number of people have taken interest in this topic.

Iverkid

Edit - Please try not to double post. Thanks!
Pray for Sri Lanka.
StupendousMan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by StupendousMan »

The 4th book is my favorite so I'm hoping they don't mess up the movie
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

LovedbyGod wrote:I tried to read the first book a while ago but it didn't have anything that pulled me in within the first few chapters so I gave it up.
I had the same reaction when I first tried reading it--couldn't get past the first couple of pages, really. The movie interested me enough that I wanted to press on reading it. (It was the character of Snape that convinced me this wasn't your average, predictable tale--and he's more interesting in the books than in the movies.) The beginning chapters of the first book are sadly dull, but it's very worthwile to keep going. Things pick up soon and carry on interestingly through book 2. Then book 3 on is riveting. But if it's not your thing, it's not your thing. That's okay.

I agree with everyone who's mentioned that Harry goes unexpectedly angry and emotional in book 5. It was surprising, but I do think his circumstances explain it. It'll be interesting to see if his emotions have settled down in book 6. Considering what happens at the end of book 5, you'd think he'd be even more distressed now.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Iverkid wrote: iharry potter is an interesting character. the one flaw he really seems to have is that he almost always is only caring about himself.
I just read an interview with Rowling where she was asked "what do you think is Harry's biggest flaw in Goblet of Fire" and she said that it was that Harry was often too pre-ocupied with himself and was forgetting that other people (such as Ron) also had problems.