The Golden Compass

Anti-religion children's movie based on books

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

The Golden Compass

Post by darcie »

http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp
The Golden Compass, a fantasy film starring Nicole Kidman that is scheduled to be released into theaters on 7 December 2007, has been drawing fire from concerned Christians. The film is based on Northern Lights (released in the U.S. as The Golden Compass), the first offering in Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy of children's books, a series that follows the adventures of a streetwise girl who travels through multiple worlds populated by witches, armor-plated bears, and sinister ecclesiastical assassins to defeat the oppressive forces of a senile God.
I haven't heard of this series of books, but the Pastor of Early Education (she does all the little kids stuff!) at our church sent this link. Thought you guys would be interested. Anyone know more about the movie or the books?
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I just heard of this today too through a blog. Don't know anything more than what's been posted though.

http://www.boundlessline.org/2007/10/at ... r-chi.html
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

When I first saw the preview this summer I was like, "this looks pretty cool... sort of a Narnia wannabe but a great start." Then I saw the title and the fact that it was the first book in the His Dark Materials. At that point the smile faded from my face.

His Dark Materials was written by a man named Philip Pullman, a passionate atheist. Pullman actually got annoyed that books like Narnia and Lord of the Rings were being linked to allegorical references to the Bible. The mere thought of "brainwashing" children sickened him so much that he set out to write books that would create allegorical references to atheism. As a result, the evil villain in these books is an all powerful creator who is seen as unjust and unkind. Ever facet of the book points to rebellion of ultimate authority and defiance to deity.

If ever there was a movie to boycott, I believe The Golden Compass, no matter how good it looks, is one to consider. Unlike Harry Potter or other films which Christians boycott because of the implied link to paganism, His Dark Materials DIRECTLY ATTACKS CHRISTIANITY and is openly eager to express its disdain for everything Christian.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah I have gotten emails from numerous people about this... Fox News has an article up and basically says that the movie is taking out the strong athiestic tones, but the concern is people will like the movie and go out and get the books where it is clearly putting forth athiesm.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Just great, an Atheist movie. :noway:
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That's too bad - I saw the trailer and I thought that it looked like an interesting movie. :( I hate it when that happens!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I saw reviews of the book series in WORLD magazine, so I was aware of their anti-Christian worldview. So when I saw that the movie was coming out, I was like, oh great.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I think we should all get together and make a big budget Christian themed movie to counteract it. :noway:
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

The Top Crusader wrote:I think we should all get together and make a big budget Christian themed movie to counteract it. :noway:
I've got a great idea for one... it has to do with a Lion and 4 children and a magical land...
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

Wow, I was never aware this movie was so anti-Christian. :-k

*resolves not to attend the movie in the theater*

Yay, I'm finally a published author! Check out my website.
http://www.joshuagrantbooks.com
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I read the books once because someone recommended them to me, and I like a good fantasy. But as I went further in the 'trilogy' I learned what the message was--it was thoroughly anti-Christian and anti-God.
I joined a group on facebook that boycotts it.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

I heard that. I saw the trailer and it looked really interesting. Too bad it's anti-God. :(
I might see it from the library, since it's free from there. O:) But I probably won't. :)
Top wrote:I think we should all get together and make a big budget Christian themed movie to counteract it.
I've got an idea that's on the same level as STRYPER! There's these hobbits, elves, humans, wizards, and dwarves, and they all go on a quest to destroy a ring! \:D/

Oh, wait...that's already been made! #-o I know! They could re-release it! :-

:wink:
And now I feel like Gabe, 'cuz I used so many smilies. :anxious:
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Kairi wrote:
Top wrote:I think we should all get together and make a big budget Christian themed movie to counteract it.
I've got an idea that's on the same level as STRYPER! There's these hobbits, elves, humans, wizards, and dwarves, and they all go on a quest to destroy a ring! \:D/

I would be the first to support such a movie! ;)
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Pullman wrote his books as a response to Narnia. He hates The Chronicle of Narnia. He says they brainwash kids with Christianity, racism, and sexism. He calls his books the anti-Narnia books.
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

Elrohir wrote:Pullman wrote his books as a response to Narnia. He hates The Chronicle of Narnia. He says they brainwash kids with Christianity, racism, and sexism. He calls his books the anti-Narnia books.
Well, of course they "brainwash" kids with Christianity, but racism? Sexism? What? :-s
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

Kairi wrote:I heard that. I saw the trailer and it looked really interesting. Too bad it's anti-God. :(
I might see it from the library, since it's free from there. O:) But I probably won't. :)

Maybe we could go on a quest to find the other rings of power? I know Galadriel has one, but who else?

Knowing my luck, there's probably some LOTR fan that knows where they all are anyway.

jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

movieman85 wrote:
Kairi wrote:I heard that. I saw the trailer and it looked really interesting. Too bad it's anti-God. :(

Maybe we could go on a quest to find the other rings of power? I know Galadriel has one, but who else?

Knowing my luck, there's probably some LOTR fan that knows where they all are anyway.
Galadriel, Elrond, and I think Thranduil, but I'm not sure about that last one.
Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Post by Movieman »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
movieman85 wrote:

I was talking about all the rings, including the ones that the Dwarf-Lords have. :D

jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

movieman85 wrote:
movieman85 wrote:

I was talking about all the rings, including the ones that the Dwarf-Lords have. :D
Oh, I don't know those, only the elves and of corse the One Ring.
Mel
Smile for the camera

Post by Mel »

movieman85 wrote:
movieman85 wrote:

Oh, I don't know those, only the elves and of corse the One Ring.
Galadriel, Elrond, and Gandalf had the three Elven rings. As for the Dwarven rings, I don't know about all of them, but I believe some of them were eaten by dragons.

Now I feel like a showoff.:anxious: