Batman Begins

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!

Have you seen it?

Indeed I have, Mr. Charles...
41%
No, but I am indeed planning to see it, Mr. Charles...
32%
No, I have not seen it. And, to be perfectly honest, I show no interest in seeing such a film.
27%

Total votes: 37

MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

this is one of the best movies of the summer it is not as good as war of the worlds is going to be but it is alot beter then star wars was.
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I know this is an old-ish topic, but I just saw the movie today and had to comment. I saw it because I like Christian Bale, and for no other reason. I have to say though, it is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. The acting was superb. The script was beautiful. The story was a little weak, and the action was all over the place. But, out of five stars, I'd give it 4 1/2. I really enjoyed it.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Sorry to dig up such an old post, but I saw Batman Begins today and I just had to post!

I loved it! They got all of the characters great. I loved seeing Bruce Wayne have a love interest that doesn't dress or act like she doesn't respect herself. It was so refreshing to see the 'good girl' (IE, the girl who dresses modestly, stands up for what's right, protects little kids in danger, and has appears to have absolutely NO intention of sleeping with the young, handsome millionaire that would surely be delighted to have her) portrayed as worth pursuing.

I was also pleased to see Commissioner Gordon transformed from the goofy, bungling cop that he was in the other Batman movies into a concerned, dedicated officer like he is in the comics.

I sort of liked Dulcard (or whatever is name was), but only because a) he fit the part b) I'm a huge Qui-Gon Jinn fan and c) because I find well-manicured facial hair incredibly handsome (hence my obsession with Dr. Blackgaard, perhaps?).

Dr. Crane was adequately creepy. I certainly wouldn't want him in charge of my psychiatric care.

My dad noticed in the credits that 'Barbara Gordon' is listed. Does anyone know where we saw her? I suggested that maybe she was the baby we see through Commissioner Gordon's window when Batman visits him, but I'm just guessing.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

you she her through the Gordons window when he talks with Batman.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

So she's the baby?
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

No no, his wife most likely.

Gordon is walking through his house with a trash bag, walks by the kitchen table where his wife and child (I think we only see the back of his/her head) at the table. The child is sitting and the wife is about to sit when Gordon makes it outside to throw the trash away. And we don't see them anymore.

Personally, I don't think it was as good as Spiderman or X-men. But better than Daredevil ;)

I also think it was better, as far as authenticity goes, than any other Batman movie as well.

...though Batman Forever with Jim Carrey is in my opinion the best and funniest Batman to date (and Val Kilmer made a really great Batman.)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Saw it this weekend on DVD. Excellent movie!

-jolly
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

WHAT??? Since when is Batgirl Commissioner Gordon's wife? Last I heard she was his daughter!

It wasn't quite as good as Spiderman, but it was much better than X-Men, if only because it was more wholesome. I like Batman Forever too, but I just don't think Batman was meant to be funny.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Rachael wrote:WHAT??? Since when is Batgirl Commissioner Gordon's wife? Last I heard she was his daughter!
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. Well maybe Barbara is the little kid in the high chair. Or perhaps both the mom and the daughter are named Barbara. :-s
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I seem to recall some confusion about this on another message board when it came out... I know that the daughter IS indeed Barbara, but maybe the mother is, as well...

Anyway, while they can be entertaining, NONE of the other 4 Batman films are remotely accurate representations of ANY of the characters in them... everything is very screwed up.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Brian wrote:Anyway, while they can be entertaining, NONE of the other 4 Batman films are remotely accurate representations of ANY of the characters in them... everything is very screwed up.
Yes but you have to admit, Jim Carrey has got to be the best Villian for any superhero movie!!
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I hate those four other poor excuses for Batman movies. Batman Begins, on the other hand was awesome! It was the best movie I saw during the summer. It appeals to both people who aren't too crazy about Batman, and those who are, it does justice to all the characters, and presents great morals.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i tought BB was better then the spider man
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

MDB17 wrote:i tought BB was better then the spider man
I'm with you on that. Though I really disliked both Spiderman 1 and 2. I saw both movies opening day, went away disappointed both times, and have never watched either of them again. Batman Begins on the other hand I saw for the first time just a couple of weeks ago (for free at the University), and I'll be watching it again this week on DVD.

Spiderman didn't feel like a "realistic" story, like Batman Begins and X-Men do. Which is fine, and there's clearly enough people that loved the Spiderman movies for the "comic book" feel it has. But I prefer movies like Batman Begins and the 2 X-Men movies where it feels like the events and characters are real. The Green Goblin and Doc Ock are way too wacky as villains and the films were done with so much cheese. I didn't really like the Scarecrow character in Batman Begins, but he wasn't nearly as over the top and cringe worthy as Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin or Alfred Molina's Doc Ock. I also didn't like Mary Jane (too self-centered) and the abruptness (if I recall correctly) from when Spiderman is fighting in the wrestling ring to suddenly helping people in New York. His superhero unveiling just didn't have the build up I would have expected. I still will watch Spiderman 3, but the Spiderman movies are not my style of super hero film making.

But it's up to everyone's own preference ;). Since the Spiderman films have so many fans, I'm clearly missing something. But as long as they keep making movies in the same vein as X-Men 1 & 2 and Batman Begins, I'll happily enjoy the alternatives :).
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

Shadowpaw wrote:
MDB17 wrote:i tought BB was better then the spider man
I'm with you on that. Though I really disliked both Spiderman 1 and 2. I saw both movies opening day, went away disappointed both times, and have never watched either of them again. Batman Begins on the other hand I saw for the first time just a couple of weeks ago (for free at the University), and I'll be watching it again this week on DVD.

Spiderman didn't feel like a "realistic" story, like Batman Begins and X-Men do. Which is fine, and there's clearly enough people that loved the Spiderman movies for the "comic book" feel it has. But I prefer movies like Batman Begins and the 2 X-Men movies where it feels like the events and characters are real. The Green Goblin and Doc Ock are way too wacky as villains and the films were done with so much cheese. I didn't really like the Scarecrow character in Batman Begins, but he wasn't nearly as over the top and cringe worthy as Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin or Alfred Molina's Doc Ock. I also didn't like Mary Jane (too self-centered) and the abruptness (if I recall correctly) from when Spiderman is fighting in the wrestling ring to suddenly helping people in New York. His superhero unveiling just didn't have the build up I would have expected. I still will watch Spiderman 3, but the Spiderman movies are not my style of super hero film making.

But it's up to everyone's own preference ;). Since the Spiderman films have so many fans, I'm clearly missing something. But as long as they keep making movies in the same vein as X-Men 1 & 2 and Batman Begins, I'll happily enjoy the alternatives :).
thats what i think. i like the realness that Spiderman and X-men bring though the things the people in the movies do are impossible they make them seem real.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I am planning on seeing Batman Begins, although I am not sure when that will happen. I will probably wait until it is on tv or we will rent it (or I will see it at a friend's house).

And Barbara is the name of Gordon's daughter. (Batgirl.)

Yours Truly,
Odyssey Bank Teller,
-Cowboy of Texas
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
map
Found

Post by map »

I've seen it and I liked it. I thought it was one of the better Batman movies. Nothing quite tops the first one with Michael Keaton, but this comes close.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I've been meaning to check out this trilogy for a long time and finally decided to get on it.
I liked this first movie a lot. I had expected to have my usual attitude of 'enough backstory lets get to some action' but I actually liked the buildup here because it's all an important part of the character.

I liked the theme of his training to become more than just a man, to become an idea. That's what Batman has always been about to me. As a figure Batman isn't really anything impressive if you're honest. There's nothing truly remarkable about him, no special powers or anything, he's just a guy. But the idea of The Batman is something significant, there's an emotion of awe and respect to it. You don't think of the man, you think of a protective force watching over the city. It's good stuff.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I know everyone swoons over TDK, but I think BB is my favorite of the trilogy. DKR has some oddities but I like it better than TDK, too. >_>
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Batman Begins is my favourite of the three. I'm not one of those people who thinks darker equals better, and to me, the first movie had enough depth to be really good without some of the other stuff that some people rave about in the other two movies that I didn't especially enjoy. I also thought that Katie Holmes was a better Rachel, though part of that might just be because I don't like changes like that.

I love Alfred. \:D/