That new Star Trek movie...

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

That new Star Trek movie...

Post by The Top Crusader »

So I see there is no topic on the main board about it... so NOW THERE IS! :x

I saw it on opening day--I'm not at all really a Star Trek fan... My brother is, but we haven't lived under the same roof since 1994 or so... I haven't really seen anything Star Trek related since then. ;) That being said, I enjoyed the relaunch and thought the casting was good--especially the guy that play Leonard McCoy. I forget the actors name, but he oozes Deforest Kelley. ;)

I see a couple of my cousins on Facebook who are big Trekkies are greatly displeased with what the film did to the franchise... but I'm not a big enough fan to really care. \:D/
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

An excellent movie. I saw it in Imax on Saturday...and wow! I hope to see it again in theaters. And maybe a few more times after that... :anxious: The actors did a great job playing the characters. My favorite moments were the beginning, when Kirk first meets McCoy (Karl Urban played McCoy, my favorite character in Star Trek, and he did an excellent job. I did see a lot of DeForest Kelley in him, especially when we first meet McCoy, when he was arguing with Spock and when he was smuggling Kirk aboard the Enterprise), the Kobayashi Maru test (lol) was another favorite moment, Kirk trying to explain what the Romulans are up to while McCoy is trying to decrease the side-effects of the vaccine he gave him so Kirk could get on the Enterprise, Kirk's reaction when he meets old Spock, Sulu fencing, when we first meet Scotty and old Spock, Chekov running to the transporters, all the while exclaiming "I can do this! I can do this!", the final battle, and of course the end with Leonard Nimoy (seeing him reprise his role and meeting young Spock was fun too) saying "Space, the final frontier..." monologue over the Enterprise and her crew warping off to go explore the universe.
Favorite lines:
"Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's and yours. I dare you to do better."-Captain Christopher Pike (I really liked Pike in this movie, and would really like to see a cameo of his character in the sequel.)
"I don't need a doctor, I am a doctor!"-Leonard McCoy.
McCoy's whole rant about how dangerous space is and how he gets his nickname.
"I may throw up on you."-McCoy to Kirk, Kirk says the same thing to McCoy later.
"Out of the chair."-Spock, to Kirk, who is sitting in the Captain's chair. :lol:
"I'm a doctor, not a physicist!"-McCoy
"I'm giving her all I've got, Captain!"-Scotty
"I can do this, I can do this, I can do this!"-Chekov
The whole Kobayashi Maru scene...lol.
"Would you rather I roam the corridors weeping?"-Spock, during McCoy and Spock's first argument.
"Green-blooded hobgoblin."-McCoy.
Yeah, I really liked this movie. Yes, I am a Star Trek fan. :- Five out of five stars. Can't wait for the sequel. (And perhaps a new tv series?)
Last edited by Kairi on Mon May 11, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

I'm probably going to go see it Thursday evening. \:D/
It looks amazing! And it's so great to see Kirk as a teen. :)

Can't wait!! \:D/
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I've heard it's good.. I doubt I'll go see it since I rarely go to theaters, but I'd kinda like to. (I like Star Trek, although I've only see a few of the earlier tv shows..)
...I hate marquees.
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

I want to see it! I heard it's nerdy but awsome! :cpu: = :dance:
Raskolnikov
Still standing tall

Post by Raskolnikov »

I just saw it last night, and I thought it was good. But I think they should re-title it "Eomer in Space." \:D/
"Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free" -Battle Hymn of the Republic
"What we do in life, echos in eternity." -Maximus in Gladiator
>John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.<
How dare I call this love and not bear my cross to the end.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

I heard that certain fans were bashing it as "watchable and entertaining," having few or no boardroom scenes where they discuss something incredibly boring. :(
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Yeah. I saw it on Sunday. I was a big fan. :D I went with my physics class. My teacher came too. He is a big Star Trek fan... He had a huge problem with the story line... Now, all the star trek shows are all different...

Why would the Vulcans come back from the future if they were destroyed... It really messes with the ST series line now... Aside from that, it was a great movie and I think that it mainly wanted to get non Star Trek fans to get interested in the series...

Overall, I thought it was a great movie. :D
I do what I do.
Felicity Blackgaard
I'm not Gabe

Post by Felicity Blackgaard »

I thought it was really good! Though I hate the timeline mix up. GRAH! Makes my brain hurt. Maybe I'll go see it once more, just to be sure I REALLY like it.

But Spock/Uhura is LOVE! XD
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

I want to see this Star Trek, it looks awesome. One set of my Trekkie friends said it was wonderful and another set said it was only alright. So no completely negatives yet!

-Robert
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

WARNING: SPOILERS

I am a big Trekkie. Well, a big Star Trek fan. I know the series pretty well I think, all of the five tv shows and the now eleven movies. For those of you wondering about the timeline difference, this is how I think of it. I'm going to try explaining as they did in Back to the Future, if I can remember. btw, Christopher Lloyd is a good actor, but a creepo. Anyway, there are several timelines in Star Trek. The thing about alternate timelines and alternate universes is that they can't be proven, therefore, they can't be disproven, so we are free to explore alternate realities. If you watch Star Trek for long enough you will see them.

So to make this as simple as possible, we have two timelines. There are infinitly more than that, but this is just to make it simple. We have our prime timeline which is the one we follow throughout the majority of the Star Trek franchise. This is the one Spock comes from after Romulus is destroyed. Yes, Romulus is destroyed in the prime timeline according to this movie. Because of Nero's destruction of Kirk's dad's ship and Vulcan, a new timeline was created. Instead of the prime timeline being affected, a new timeline is created. So we have the prime timeline, which still exists because people are still living there are things still going on there, but now we have this new timeline, we'll call it the secondary timeline. Both timelines exist, but no one from either one can go to the other. Sure the people from the prime time can go back in time, but they go backwards to their own timeline, so if they went back to the 23rd century, Kirk's time, Vulcan would still be there. If they do anything to alter that time, than they have created a new timeline. Prime Spock is now in the secondary timeline because of what happened. If he goes to the future, it would be the secondary timeline future.

So you can see why Starfleet tries it's hardest to keep people from messing with the timeline. ;)

There are infinite timelines that exist. There is a new one created every time anyone at all makes a decision. The alternate timeline would be what would happen if the other choice was chosen.

So if we see any new Star Trek, it would probably be a tv show based in this secondary timeline. I hope we see more. \:D/

Anyway, after all that, I really loved the movie. It was really a very exciting and enjoyable experience to see it.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I went to see it this afternoon with my younger brother and parents - the latter of whom watched all the original Star Trek series. I, on the other hand, I knew virtually nothing about it save for a few names and faces. Because I tend to gravitate towards the science fiction genre when it comes to movies, I went into the theatre expecting to be impressed. And boy, I was not disappointed. Even though I had very little prior knowledge of Star Trek, the film was fairly easy to follow - although I will admit the whole alternate timeline thing had me somewhat confused at different points. On the whole, however, the film captured me with its heroic action sequences as well as its likable and well-developed characters. It also made me appreciate Hidden in My Heart and understand more of the references, such as Crock's line: "How illogical." :lol: An absolutely captivating movie like this one warrants a second viewing if I get the chance. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I talked to two of my friends today who saw it, one of whom was a moderate Star Trek fan, and the other knew nothing about it. Neither of them thought it was very good, which surprised me because of all the good press the movie's been getting (not the least of which is from you guys ;)). I'm planning on seeing it with my family when I go home, so I'll let you know what I think when that happens.
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

I'm a major origenal Trekkie fan, I've seen all the origenal episodes multiple times, along with an array of extras and the movies that went along with it. So when I heard that they were creating a new Star Trek movie, I was pumped with high hopes!

My hopes were kept, and more; it was one of hte best movies I've ever seen, it was soaked with epicness, and the special effects were fenominal (sp?) not to mention the acting and the plots. I could totally picture each of them growing up to be the older versions!

I agree, whoever played McCoy did a amazing job, along with everyone else. I cheered when McCoy, Sulu, and Chekov made an appearence \:D/ (I've always loved those three, along with Spock, of course!)

Ah, and good old Scotty {I'm given' her all she's got, Captain!!}.

The only qualm (sp?) I had was Spock/Uhura. That was totally out of character for him, and in the origenal series, Uhura never showed any romantic feelings towards out favorite Vulcan. The only one on the Enterprise who did was that nurse lady...what was her name again? :-k

And, of course, Captain Kirk was flirting (and *Cough* other thigns) with every woman who walked his way. I swear, he falls in love in every episode, kisses the girl, has a sad goodbye, then moves on to the next. But I only expected that.

All in all, an amazing flim and one I am totally going to buy when it comes out! Star Trek forever!!
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I know a bit about it. I agree with Miss Ben Linus. It was Nurse Chapel who was obsessed with Spock. I don't like this Uhura thing.

But I have always enjoyed the appearances of Chekov, Sulu, and Scotty. I like the smaller main characters just as much as I like the "larger-than-life" main characters.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

KODY 105 wrote:I haven't seen the movie yet, but I know a bit about it. I agree with Miss Ben Linus.

But I have always enjoyed the appearances of Chekov, Sulu, and Scotty. I like the smaller main characters just as much as I like the "larger-than-life" main characters.
"Miss Ben Linus?" I'm liking this. :D

Agreed. I never liked Kirk, he was to flimsy and well...sacrificial. He needs to keep a girl for longer then a half hour.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Ben Linus wrote:Agreed. I never liked Kirk, he was to flimsy and well...sacrificial. He needs to keep a girl for longer then a half hour.
Do you happen to mean "superficial?" O:)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Ben Linus wrote:Agreed. I never liked Kirk, he was to flimsy and well...sacrificial. He needs to keep a girl for longer then a half hour.
Do you happen to mean "superficial?" O:)
No, but he's superficial to *nods*

What I meant was, he's all like "Gahh! Save the ship and forget about me!! My life is worth nothing!! please save my ship!!" Now, that's all well and good, but when he does it in every single episode (Almost) It gets a bit to common and looses it's "Oh my gosh, he's such a good guy" appeal.
redrose
Processing

Post by redrose »

I am not a big fan of Star Trek. My dad and older Brothers went tyo see it in theatres and my dad said there was a lot of swearing and innuendo. I personally wouldn't see it, but that's my opinion.
We have raised our hopes and our cities high
We have followed fragile dreams
But only One could take the measure of our goals
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

There wasn't a lot of swearing, the occaional D or A word was about it. As for innuendo; I don't remember any. *Shrugs* But that's just me.