Tintin

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Tintin

Post by Dr. Watson »

Who here has read the comic Tintin? I've read all of them, and thought them to be pretty good. They are adventuresome, suspenseful, and funny (especially Thompson and Thomson).

I do have some reservations about some of the episodes--namely The Seven Crystalballs/Prisoners of the Sun series. I didn't like all the voodoo junk in there. Rather weird.

I like most of them though, like the Calculus Affair, Destination Moon, King Ottakar's Scepter. Also the continuing story arc with the archvillain Rastapopulous is reminiscent of AIO and Dr. Blackgaard. How about you? Do you like Tintin, Snowy, Captain Haddock, and the rest of the gang?

Cheerio
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Yes! Yes! Tintin! Someone has finally talked about my passion! I have all the books! (all of them but the Soviet one) I'm wearing Tintin "Blue Lotus" slippers on my feet right now! I have a ceramic Snowy and a bunch of videos and radio dramatizations and was thinking about making a fan site! (Seriously Dr. Watson, we should get to know each other better.) Let's talk about Tintin. No one else seems to have heard about him. So...what's your favorite book? Character? Captain Haddock insult?
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Billions of blistering barnacles, another Tintin fan!

Hmm...favorite book is probably Destination Moon/Explorers on the Moon. That was pretty cool with Prof Calculus and the rocket and everything. Next in line is probably The Calculus Affair. Actually, our library has all of the books except The Calculus Affair, Red Sea Sharks, and something I can't think of.

Thompson and Thomson are VERY funny. Like in King Ottokar's Scepter when they are meeting King Ottokar:

Thomson: "It's a pleasure your Majesty..."
Thompson: "It's a majesty your Pleasure--no that's not right..."

They kinda remind me of Harlow Doyle on AIO. Do you know you can tell them apart? One of them has a straight moustache and the other has a curly moustache! I forget which one has which.

What's your favorite book?

Cheerio
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't have a favourite, because I haven't read any in a few years, but I used to enjoy reading them! It never developed into an obsession, but I did enjoy the Captain's interesting phrases and the general humourous/mystery nature of the books. I never saw any of the movies, though.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Finally other people who have heard of it. I am a very big fan, but don't really have a favorite book.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

I'm more partial to "Freshwater Swabs", myself...but Blue Blistering Barnacles is a good one. :-)

My favorite character is Tintin. :-) I think I've changed my mind...I don't want to marry Robert Mitchell anymore...I want to marry Tintin. (I wonder what sort of last name I'll get.) Haddock is my second fav. Sometimes it seems like he's more funny than the Thompson twins, with all his insults and facial expressions. Third fav is Snowy. (So cute!)

I'm just reading The Calculus Affair now...all about Haddock's sticking plaster escapade. Ha ha!

Have you read Herge's notes on his final book...Tintin and Alph-Art?
Do you have any Tintin-related merchandise?
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

I've read a bit of Tin Tin in a large collection of old comics I purchased. Anyone ever read "Terry and the Pirates"?
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

It was a big thing this Tintin here in Quebec. (For those of you don't know, it's originally French)

But yes, they are very suspensful Comics...which come rarely these days.

The Master Bennett
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I've read fragments of various Tintin books . . . we don't actually have one in our possession, and I've never really gotten that interested in the comic. Perhaps I should have? :-s
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

I LOVE Tintin! Unfortunatly my library doesn't have many of the books.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I've read fragments of various Tintin books . . . we don't actually have one in our possession, and I've never really gotten that interested in the comic. Perhaps I should have? :-s

Bashi-bazouk! Of course you should be interested! Read one--now, or else I'll send Rastapopulous after you!

Ectoplasm! :D

Cheerio
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Dr. Watson wrote:Bashi-bazouk!
So that's how you spell it! I was looking through our books...but couldn't find out how to spell it.

My fav book is...um...i can't decide. I like them all. My father dearest used to read them to us when I was little and we'd all pile on the couch around him and we'd read all 62 pages. (It's 62, right?) I really like Red Rackham's Treasure and...others that I cannot think of right now.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Sand bagging body snatcher! Woo! Haddock is my absolute favorite character. There are also a bunch of Tintin comics which are not published any more. I can't remember why, but I once checked out a book from the library about Herge, and there were a bunch of them. I would really like to get my hands on them.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Which Tintin comics aren't being published anymore? Like Tintin in the Land of the Soviets or Tintin in the Congo?
And we also have books on Georges Reme (Herge's real name) and the Tintin legacy...they're quite exquisite.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Iv'e read a few of them but not in a long time. From what I remenber I liked them but wasn't a huge fan.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Frank wrote:Which Tintin comics aren't being published anymore? Like Tintin in the Land of the Soviets or Tintin in the Congo?
And we also have books on Georges Reme (Herge's real name) and the Tintin legacy...they're quite exquisite.
Those would be the ones. I believe there were others too. They look interesting although quite different.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Me wrote:
Frank wrote:Which Tintin comics aren't being published anymore? Like Tintin in the Land of the Soviets or Tintin in the Congo?
Those would be the ones. I believe there were others too. They look interesting although quite different.
They do look really interesting. I guess Herge hadn't really developed his Tintin style quite just yet, but I'm happy on the one that he settled on. (I've heard that he re-drew Tintin in the Congo and some of those others...but i think those weren't translated to English.)
Bandit Squirrel
OK

Post by Bandit Squirrel »

Snowy and Captain Haddock have to be my favorite characters, but I don't have a favorite book. I like all of them.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

My siblings and I discovered the Tin-Tin comic books a long while ago at our library! We couldn't get enough of them! I've read everyone at least once, but some of them were really hard to find. Anyway, those are great classic stuff!
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Yeah! Tintin!!!!! Yes, finally other people who've read it!