Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Who has it?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
EugeneFan
OK

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Post by EugeneFan »

Has anyone bought the newest Harry Potter book yet? If so, what do you think about it? I have a copy, but I haven't read it yet. I've been too busy ;).
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I picked it up at midnight on Saturday. I think it is very good, but I am not finished yet. I'm about halfway through.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I haven't read as much as I would have liked yet, but I hope to finish it within the next couple of days. I'm also halfway (I think I'm exactly halfway actually). So far I think it's been great... I like it better than "Order of the Phoenix" (which seemed a bit slow), and depending on how the rest of the book is... it may even rank number one or two ("Goblet of Fire" is my favorite so far).
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I got the chronicles of narnia book all in one set, AND the radio theatres at my local christian bookstore on sale.....BEAT THAT! Thats fantasy entertainment you cant get from harry potter BOO YAH! And now my rant is over. And no I do not have a copy of it.....I only have the first four...
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Have it. I'm reading it to my kids so I'm not very far into it yet.

-jolly
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

I went to the release party. I mean, how often do you get to go to a party and count down to midnight for a book? So, so cool.

The pace is indeed fast compared to the last two, the chapters being less stuffed with interesting detail. I missed the cameraderie of the last book--this one features fewer characters. And their relationship issues are tedious. But it's still enjoyable.

The first two thirds of the book lulled me into a false sense of security--I found the last part completely shocking. In a "J.-K.-Rowling-is-amazing" sort of way.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Joni_Slade wrote:I went to the release party. I mean, how often do you get to go to a party and count down to midnight for a book? So, so cool.

The pace is indeed fast compared to the last two, the chapters being less stuffed with interesting detail. I missed the cameraderie of the last book--this one features fewer characters. And their relationship issues are tedious. But it's still enjoyable.

The first two thirds of the book lulled me into a false sense of security--I found the last part completely shocking. In a "J.-K.-Rowling-is-amazing" sort of way.
You're already done with the book??????? Aaaahhh! Welll, I guess you've had like 72 hours since it came out...which is ample time to read it...just sit there reading all day....*haggard look*
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Frank wrote:You're already done with the book??????? Aaaahhh! Welll, I guess you've had like 72 hours since it came out...which is ample time to read it...just sit there reading all day....
*laughs* That's totally what I did :) I finished it on Saturday night. 'Fraid I sort of rushed it; I'm going to reread OOTP and then HPB again, more slowly.

Something else I forgot to mention that's annoying about HBP is that there isn't as much resolution as there usually is--this seems more like part one of a book. *waits impatiently for the seventh one*
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

HARRY POTTER IS SUPER EVIL!!! WE SHOULD HAVE A BOOK BURNING!!! :mad:

Heh. Kidding, majorly. ;) You know, there was a church once that actually had a Harry Potter Book burning. Wow, nothing makes you want to come to church than a good ol' fashioned book burning! :roll:

I think a good rule of thumb should be, if Hitler tried it, it's probably NOT A VERY GOOD IDEA!!! :p
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Joni_Slade wrote:
Frank wrote:You're already done with the book??????? Aaaahhh! Welll, I guess you've had like 72 hours since it came out...which is ample time to read it...just sit there reading all day....
*laughs* That's totally what I did :) I finished it on Saturday night. 'Fraid I sort of rushed it; I'm going to reread OOTP and then HPB again, more slowly.

Something else I forgot to mention that's annoying about HBP is that there isn't as much resolution as there usually is--this seems more like part one of a book. *waits impatiently for the seventh one*
I think that is the whole point. There is no conclusion to HBP because Ms. Rowling is going to wrap everything up in the last book.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Laurie wrote:
Joni_Slade wrote:

I think that is the whole point. There is no conclusion to HBP because Ms. Rowling is going to wrap everything up in the last book.
Typical of the author to finish everything up in the 7th book. It just copying off of some OTHER series that we know!
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

I'm not allowed to read the Harry Potter books cause they have witchery in them
*returns*
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I don't have it, but I know one guy who got it almost as soon as it came out, and had it finished by 11am the same day.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Eugene Kendall wrote:
Laurie wrote:
Joni_Slade wrote:

Typical of the author to finish everything up in the 7th book. It just copying off of some OTHER series that we know!
Sorry, that's the way it is. You have to figure that there is going to be a big finish to end the series. Otherwise the series would not be selling like it is.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

EugeneFan wrote: I have a copy, but I haven't read it yet. I've been too busy ;).
Life just isn't fair....

*still waiting for his book to come in the mail
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Yes! Now I'm only hold number 31 for it at my library! Come on people...return the book so I can read it! *stamps foot impatiently*
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I finished the book about 5 minutes ago... I enjoyed it very much (while I haven't read the first four in probably 5 or 6 years, I think this book may take the cake as my favorite). I'm very much looking forward to the final book!
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman

Post by Frank »

Shadowpaw wrote:I finished the book about 5 minutes ago... I enjoyed it very much (while I haven't read the first four in probably 5 or 6 years, I think this book may take the cake as my favorite). I'm very much looking forward to the final book!
Yay! I'm looking forward to my copy more than ever now!!!! Yes! Yes! Yes!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I got it on the 16th and I'm finished with it. By a stroke of luck I got out of work an hour before the book was released (I was suppose to work until 2 am). Since I was ready to close and my body was full of caffine I ended up reading the book in a night.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Frank wrote:Yay! I'm looking forward to my copy more than ever now!!!! Yes! Yes! Yes!
Well, to be fair, it is only my opinion... some people might absolutely hate this book :noway: . Though I like dark stories and this one is certainly the darkest Harry Potter and also the most mature.