To Save a Life

A new movie premiering this Friday

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It's playing here, which surprises me! \:D/ I don't think I'll get around to spending money to see it unfortunately. >_>
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

well, you could always wait until it comes out on DVD and then rent or buy it.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Top Crusader wrote:It's playing here, which surprises me! \:D/ I don't think I'll get around to spending money to see it unfortunately. >_>
The movie has made an estimated $1.5M on its opening weekend, which is very good! (The most a Christian movie has made since Fireproof.) I would see it if it was playing around here. :boohoo:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I caught the 10:30 AM To Save a Life showing with two brothers and Dad yesterday and we loved it! I was impressed by the gamut of issues the film covered (suicide, drinking, abortion, cutting, divorce, factions, judging) and covered well. Furthermore, the message is completely inspirational. If you affect one life, it is worth it. Just one! I don't know about you, but I immediately thought of specific people in my life who I can show love to right now. I haven't thought of any serious criticisms, just nit-picky things such as that I would have liked the protagonist's relationship status more defined at the end of the film. To sum up, I highly recommend To Save a Life to teens and adults!
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

I just read about the movie today. When I initially saw this thread here on the ToO, I thought it was about the song 'How To Save A Life', so I didn't even click it :p. It's sounds really good, which surprises me because it was done by a 'Christian' company. Christian movies are usually shoddy. Heh.

I'll watch it at some point, probably. I'm glad a Christian movie finally decided to tackle big issues- they usually skirt around the edges of REAL problems in order to make films 'Christian' and less likely to offend people.. which always annoys me. Furthermore, 'Christian' movies always show that when you get saved, everything goes right from then on out and your life is immediately transformed and becomes perfect. That couldn't be further from the truth, and it always ticks me off. I've always wanted to sing when I'm older, and I've told my mom I want my music to be 'hard-hitting'.. and 'true to life', so this movie's kind of an inspiration to me (though I'll still leave language out of my lyrics ;) ). I wish I was near these people's (and the people who made Fireproof.. or are they one-and-the-same) church so I could be in their movies. Talk about people to rally behind and help continue making differences!
American Eagle wrote:I (and I'm assuming most of us) watch PG & PG-13 movies with miscellaneous bad content (language, mature themes, immodesty, violence, etc.), and don't have a big problem with it. But, as soon as a movie comes along that calls itself "Christian" and yet has the same content, I'm quick to push away from the movie. Double standard?
Yeah.. I'm sorry, but this comes across as very hypocritical. You're conservative enough to complain about a raffle on the ToO.. but you admit that you watch PG-13 movies with language in them and don't have a problem with it (I'm glad you got ClearPlay, but you were watching movies that are PG-13 before you got the machine)... Also, I think he prayed about putting 'minor' bad words in his movie for emphasis. While I don't think I'd do the same, I understand where he's coming from *shrugs*.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Iron and Light wrote:
American Eagle wrote:I (and I'm assuming most of us) watch PG & PG-13 movies with miscellaneous bad content (language, mature themes, immodesty, violence, etc.), and don't have a big problem with it. But, as soon as a movie comes along that calls itself "Christian" and yet has the same content, I'm quick to push away from the movie. Double standard?
Yeah.. I'm sorry, but this comes across as very hypocritical. You're conservative enough to complain about a raffle on the ToO.. but you admit that you watch PG-13 movies with language in them and don't have a problem with it (I'm glad you got ClearPlay, but you were watching movies that are PG-13 before you got the machine)... Also, I think he prayed about putting 'minor' bad words in his movie for emphasis. While I don't think I'd do the same, I understand where he's coming from *shrugs*.
Let me briefly explain. I want profanity in movies to be removed, and I want the lottery to be removed. I believe both are wrong, But, I still post here despite the lottery, and I've watched films with language in them. There's a difference between endorsing wrong and ignoring it. I O:)

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Every time you rent a movie or buy a movie with language in it, you endorse it by giving the money to the movie companies and telling them that, even though they put crud in their films, you'll still support them and watch their nonsense ;).
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

So if I watch To Save a Life, that means I'm "endorsing the film's nonsense"? Don't you think it is possible to support the message and not endorse the profanity? I think so.

Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

I do believe it's possible to support a message; however, (for instance) Spider-Man or Iron Man have absolutely no messages, yet you see all the junk (without ClearPlay this is). Furthermore, To Save A Life is a Christian film, so you're supporting a Christian company- Iron Man and Spider-Man were made by Hollywood. So, in essence, when you purchase the former you're supporting Christianity and Biblical principles. When you purchase the latter, you're supporting more nonsense that's 'entertaining' and filled with crud.

-cough-
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Alright. I somewhat agree; perhaps not 100%, but I agree. For the record, I don't own ClearPlay at present, but I've watched various movies with it. (It's very good. :yes:)

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Eh. The sad thing is that there a few movies geared toward an older audience without something annoying in them. So are you going to swear off watching all movies because of crud. Not me. (though the 25 words in Avatar bugged me. Really. That many? No. :noway: )

*cough* But getting back on topic: after watching the trailer I really want to see this. It looks really good. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Iron and Light wrote:Furthermore, 'Christian' movies always show that when you get saved, everything goes right from then on out and your life is immediately transformed and becomes perfect. That couldn't be further from the truth, and it always ticks me off.
This statement thankfully does not apply to To Save a Life. The protagonist gives his life to Christ midway through the film and encounters the same or more troubles. There is even a little dialogue about this issue in the film. Ergo, Iron and Light will not get ticked off for this reason when she gets around to seeing To Save a Life. :)
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Bump! \:D/

If you don't follow the film's Facebook page, they're doing a 12 days of November series right now with some interesting faith challenges I thought you guys would like.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4683145915113 <-- the first video explaining it.
http://www.facebook.com/tosavealife <-- the page to see more.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

That movie was pretty good. I liked it
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah