The Karate Kid

2010 Version

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

The Karate Kid

Post by EK »

So unless you've been hiding somewhere away from all forms of media, you've heard about this movie.

When I first heard about it I was like "what, they're making a new karate kid...and it's in china? with Jackie Chan and little Will Smith!?" but now that i've read some pretty positive reviews (word of mouth and on the interwebs) and seen little Will Smith in action...i've gotta say, little Will Smith is a BEAST.

I'm most likely going to peep this out tomorrow (either this or Toy Story) I expect it to be amazing. \:D/
I'm still a little annoyed they named it karate kid, not kung-fu kid...but i'll live. ;)

So, has anyone seen/wants to see this?
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I'm most likely going to see it on Thursday if my boyfriend and I can get the car \:D/
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I've heard a ton about this. It has been pretty much the only film to overperform at the box office this summer, and obviously for good reason. I'm really looking forward to it, but that viewing will probably wait until it releases on DVD. I'll probably only watch one film in theaters this summer, and I'm afraid Toy Story 3 is first in line. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah I basically felt the same as... Batman. I wish it was Kung Fu Kid (I think it was at some point in development?) but oh well, still looks good.

But I refuse to see it! :x
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Correction to my earlier post. I'm going to go see it today \:D/ and I'll say tonight what I think of it ;)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I've been hiding from the media. :( Well, I've seen it (info)...and I don't agree with Karate....
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

I really want to see it!
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Marvin D. wrote:I've been hiding from the media. :( Well, I've seen it (info)...and I don't agree with Karate....
you don't agree with karate? :-s why is that?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

StrongNChrist wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:I've been hiding from the media. :( Well, I've seen it (info)...and I don't agree with Karate....
I'd prefer to not get detailed...but they all lead back to spiritualism. No offense.

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Marvin D. wrote:
StrongNChrist wrote:
I'd prefer to not get detailed...but they all lead back to spiritualism. No offense.
It's fine. I was just curious.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

This movie actually has nothing to do with karate, its kung fu, if that helps any. ;) They just named it that due to the famous franchise from the 80's.
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

The Top Crusader wrote:This movie actually has nothing to do with karate, its kung fu, if that helps any. ;)
Lol, I agree.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Mr. Han teaches Dre that kung fu depends upon tapping into the concept of chi, which he calls "eternal energy and the essence of life." He says that chi "moves inside of us … inside our bodies" and "gives us power from within." Dre translates: "I get it! It's like the Force from Star Wars." Some of Mr. Han's teaching also includes telling Dre to "empty your mind" to connect with these internal energies.

Mr. Han leads Dre up a mountainside staircase to a place he calls the dragon well. There, we see a water basin bearing the yin and yang symbol. Mr. Han calls the basin's contents "magic kung fu water," and he says that after you drink it, "nothing can defeat you." The well is located in a temple of sorts, where people practice martial arts. One woman stares down a cobra while balancing on an ornate stone outcropping.
From Plugged in.

EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

PluggedIn finds something wrong with...everything. -_-;

Are we as Christians supposed to have some sort of phobia of all references to other religions besides our own? :-?
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

no, but we still need to be on guard, and make sure we are strong in our faith so we aren't swayed by other religions. And we need to be careful taking younger kids to movies like that, (granted, it could all go over their heads) but we still need to make sure they know the truth.

Till the end of the line.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

You won't catch me seeing it. I got dragged into seeing the very first one back in the 80s and I hated it. It holds zero interest for me.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Shennifer wrote:no, but we still need to be on guard, and make sure we are strong in our faith so we aren't swayed by other religions. And we need to be careful taking younger kids to movies like that, (granted, it could all go over their heads) but we still need to make sure they know the truth.
Yeah, I agree with SHen. \:D/ We shouldn't watch stuff which could influence us in the wrong way.

Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I've seen some of the original Karate Kid, and I want to see it again. But I don't think it's wrong to watch those movies, especially if you're solid in your beliefs, which I'd like to think I am.

Till the end of the line.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I want to see it only because it is in China.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Batman wrote:PluggedIn finds something wrong with...everything. -_-;

Are we as Christians supposed to have some sort of phobia of all references to other religions besides our own? :-?
totally. man, there's Christians everywhere trying to shove Christianity into people's faces... and then avoid anything that even references to another religion. it makes us come across as stupid and ignorant.

does anyone seriously think that watching a movie that mentions "magic kung fu water" will have a bad influence on them? :-s
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait