The Conspirator

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
ric
Isaiah 6

The Conspirator

Post by ric »

So, I just saw The Conspirator. I must say, it's surely a thought-provoking movie. Averagely done, but the story was intriguing, to say the least.

Did anyone else see it?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Not yet. I want to though. I don't know if it is still playing in my area.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

It's a great film. It raised some interesting questions.

I'm not sure how historically accurate it was though.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I believe it is based on the book The Assassin's Accomplice by Kate Clifford Larson. If you look at the paperback version there is a blurb on the cover that says "Now a Major Motion Picture."
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Hmmm, it doesn't say anything about that on the Wikipedia page. :-k

It was made by the American Film Company, which I'm hoping is going to come out with some more great films in the future. (Apparently they're working currently on a movie about Harper's Ferry, and one about Paul Revere.)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

ric wrote:Hmmm, it doesn't say anything about that on the Wikipedia page. :-k

It was made by the American Film Company, which I'm hoping is going to come out with some more great films in the future. (Apparently they're working currently on a movie about Harper's Ferry, and one about Paul Revere.)
I haven't looked at the Wikipedia page because I have not seen the movie, but that's what the paperback had on it. You can look it up on Amazon.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This caught my eye at the library because I just rewatched Lincoln.

Good movie, but a real downer.
ric wrote:I'm not sure how historically accurate it was though.
There was a documentary on the conspiracy in the special features which the movie ran very parallel to. So based on that, extremely accurate. Though, in full disclosure, I believe it was done by the same people that did the movie.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I think this is (or was recently) on Netflix Instant... if its still there I'll have to check it out some time.

Although when I clicked on this topic I honestly thought it was called "The Constipator" and am now disappointed. :(
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It’s definitely worth a watch, just be prepared for a depressing ending like I said.

For those unaware, since the thread doesn’t actually say, the movie is about the trial of Mary Surratt, one of the alleged conspirators arrested for the assassination plot against Lincoln, Johnson, and Seward.