The Avengers

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I liked the bond between Black Widow and Hawkeye; I also thought they'd be cute together. (I also like the guy who plays Hawkeye, I think he was great in Mission Impossible 4)

Till the end of the line.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Jeremy Renner is fantastic.

Saw this movie at midnight, saw it again the same day, a third time that weekend, a fourth a week later, and will see it again with my sister in June. Fantastic, amazing movie. Topped every expectation, and Loki seriously creeped me out. Which made Hiddleston all the more amazing. The cast was amazing, Joss did a huge thing and did it *perfectly* and I'm happy with ALL of it! :D

I'd say more, but I keep getting distracted. It really was an amazing movie. It set up for a sequel, and all the other movies to come. :)
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I really want to see it
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Well, I watched this last night, and my expectations were met. I have very little to complain about, and yet I have very little to praise. Spoiler alert. ALERT.
As another reviewer said, The Avengers didn't really show us anything we hadn't seen before. The aircraft scene was straight out of Captain America: The First Avenger, and the climax felt like a redux of any of the Transformers films. To be honest, as I write this the next day, I can't remember a specific scene that I liked.

However, I did enjoy some of the story and character development. Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow didn't make a big impression on me. They had their places in the movie, but I can't remember any reason to like or dislike them because of the film. Actually, Hawkeye seemed really awesome when he was working for Loki; he was blowing up the entire blazin' aircraft. There seemingly was nothing The Avengers could do to keep Hawkeye from breaking in. However, when the arrow-slinger joined the good team, all he could do was shoot off small arrows. :-k I'm like, "What happened to all the epic explosions? Why can't he shoot an arrow and make a building fall down on the bad guys?"

Moving on to the most fun character of the film, Iron Man. I was glad to see his character unchanged. There's something about his worry-free and cocky remarks that always make me laugh. If you took him out of the movie, I'm not even sure if I would've smiled once. Well, I did enjoy seeing the Hulk smash his way through the city...

However, the thing that stole the movie for me was the leadership of Captain America. I love the way Cap is portrayed as valiant, trustworthy and honorable. His line of "There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that." was the best in the film. Weeks ago I saw a image that read, "Captain America: Has met two gods and is still a Christian." In my biased mind I shall believe that Cap is honorable because he fears God. Oh, and I love how the mythology is played down. Hulk destorying Loki was fantastic. "Puny god," indeed. And fake too. I'm glad the movie didn't take its mythology side too seriously.

Popcorn entertainment with a healthy amount of honor and teamwork thrown in. I'm satisfied.

A or 4.5 out of 5 stars.
The bad news is that I downloaded this movie off the internet. Don't judge me, it was my first time ever! :x Alas, a lame guy from Comcast sent us a piracy warning. Stupid cable jerk followed my browsing history! It's good to know we don't have privacy in America anymore! What happened to the good old days, anyway?? :x
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

LOL. I have cut back in my old age but I've downloaded ridiculous numbers of movies in my day and never got a letter or anything. Maybe Time Warner doesn't pay attention. A friend of mine who uses another company got a few letters asking him to delete things soon after he downloaded them.

Unless a DVDrip has shown up since I checked last, definitely try to check out the movie once its officially out... a cam can't do it justice. \:D/

I probably already said earlier in this thread, but Cap and Hulk's "religious" lines were probably my favorite parts of the film as well.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

AE, that was actually an incredible review. You almost made me excited enough to watch it for a second time. \:D/

Also Canada is awesome because we don't have any cable guys snooping around our web history. Yet. ;)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I fear the looming bandwidth caps. :(
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Godzilla wrote:Unless a DVDrip has shown up since I checked last, definitely try to check out the movie once its officially out... a cam can't do it justice. \:D/
It was a decent theater cam, though. Only a few of the faces were blacked out and I could almost see the top of screen! \:D/ Actually, I've seen some horrible theater cameras and this was one of the best. I do plan to buy/rent it once it releases on DVD, but that's in September, so I couldn't wait. :(
Tyler Durden wrote:AE, that was actually an incredible review. You almost made me excited enough to watch it for a second time. \:D/
Thanks. I love writing movie reviews because it always seems to provide 'closure'. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I'm pretty sure Avengers is in 2 buck theatres by now, why even bother downloading it? If you have a free afternoon it's a great movie to see in the theatres, really, a small screen doesn't do it justice.
Last edited by EK on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Mike Lowery wrote:I'm pretty sure Avengers is in 2 buck theatres by now, why even bother downloading it? If you have a free afternoon it's a great movie to see in the theatres, really, a small screen doesn't do it justice.
I second that. Besides which, they can't make big, expensive movies like this and pay all the many, many people whose job it is to produce them if you don't pay money to see them... which is why, y'know, piracy is illegal.
Last edited by Caswin on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

It made insane profits, I'm pretty sure everyone got paid. :noway:
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Godzilla wrote:It made insane profits, I'm pretty sure everyone got paid. :noway:
Did you get paid? I mean, you've done all this advertising for the movie.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

The Doctor wrote:
Godzilla wrote:It made insane profits, I'm pretty sure everyone got paid. :noway:
Did you get paid? I mean, you've done all this advertising for the movie.
win quote. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

No, I consider it human goodwill to promote the movie for free... its practically the Great Commission except not.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Godzilla wrote:No, I consider it human goodwill to promote the movie for free... its practically the Great Commission except not.
So that is in the Bible According to Top? (the BAT version)
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Well, I finally got around to watching The Avengers. It took me quite a while to pirate it, but I was eventually successful. \:D/

Loki is such a sexy lunatic. :inlove:
Last edited by Aeva on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I pre-ordered the DVD/Bluray 4-disc combo as soon as it was listed on Amazon... but now I see they have a huge awesome boxset of all the movies leading up to it included. Decisions, decisions. :(

I own all but Iron Man 2 on DVD... these are all bluray and a few 3D bluray. I dunno, it'd be cool. >_> Hate rebuying films I already own, though.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I just bought the DVD (Cause I don't have no Blu Ray Player) And just watched the commentary. Pretty interesting. I have now seen the movie six times. Here is my full review.

Back in 1997 the movie celebrated as one of the worst superhero movies of all time came out, titled Batman and Robin. This movie really killed the superhero franchise and it wasn't until the movies "Spiderman, and X-Men" Came out that the super hero film excitement was re-kindled. The disease which I call "Supah Rush" ran high as the next movies in the franchises "X2, and Spiderman 2" came out, both excellent films. However when X Men: The Last Stand came out people were worried. And finally when one of the most hyped films of the year "Spiderman 3" came out many fans hissed and recoiled back into the shadows, disappointed AGAIN. It looked like people really couldn't get these movies right. However on May 2, 2008 the film "Iron Man" came out, to rave reviews. People were surprised at the excellent mix of action, drama, and humor in the film, making it what some people considered at the time, as the greatest superhero film ever. And then The Dark Knight came out- and now the "Supah Rush" was back- and I was sitting back just waiting for the disappointing movie that would kill the hype again. However The Incredible Hulk" was released months later which I considered EVEN BETTER than Iron Man. And then Iron Man 2 came out in 2010. While I didn't think it was as good as Iron Man and Hulk I still enjoyed it immensely. When I heard the next bout for Marvel Films would be "Thor" I was certain it would be the failure I was expecting- and again it wasn't. I liked it a lot more than Iron Man 2 and was excited for Captain America- which turned out to be another excellent film. And finally when we were nearing Avengers I knew- either this could be one of the greatest Super hero Films of all time or it could end up being a flop- a film to again make people hiss and recoil- and thankfully it wasn't the latter.

The Film starts off rather geeky yet enjoyable, as we see the Cosmic Cube (or Tesseract whichever you prefer) on screen, followed by the alien army getting ready to take over the earth. And then we jump right into the action as Loki arrives at the main S.H.I.E.L.D Base to steal the Cosmic Cube and achieves his goal while taking control of Agent Clint Barton, and Dr. Selvig to achieve his goal of sending in the alien army, the Chitauri to invade the Earth. As the plot unfolds we re-meet each of the Avengers, as Nick Fury gathers them to convince them to save the world. They capture Loki and take him on the Helicarrier. Hawkeye prepares to spring Loki as Loki turns the Avengers against each other. Hawkeye arrives, and destroys an engine, causing the Helicarrier passengers into panic, and causing Dr. Bruce Banner to "Hulk Out." Hawkeye precedes to take out another engine, causing the Helicarrier to lose altitude rapidly. Loki escapes the cage he is kept in, killing Agent Phil Coulson in the process. During the Helicarrier fight Agent Natasha Romanoff or Black Widow turns Hawkeye back to the "good side" if you will by hitting him hard on the head as Loki escapes, and heads to Stark Tower to unleash the Alien Portal using the Cosmic Cube. The Avengers band together to fight the aliens and win, as Iron Man fly's a nuke into the alien portal, blowing up the alien mother ship while Black Widow uses Loki's staff to close the portal. The Avengers go their separate ways, and the last shot we see is Stark Tower with the only letter remaining being an A as credits roll.

This film is amazing in so many ways I don't even know where to begin. I guess I'll start with the humor. This movie surprised me in a good way with the snarky remarks, the hilarious one liners, and snappy dialogue. It definitely kept me enthusiastic and in high spirits as the film continued. I was also happy with how almost every character had at least one or two hilarious lines, not just Tony Stark or Coulson, or one of the more comedic actors- no, everybody has nice rich dialogue played and directed and written so well, which brings me to another thing the movie did excellently- the acting and directing. Seriously every one of these actors- from Chris Evans, to Robert Downey Jr. to Scarlett Johannson to Mark Ruffalo (more on him later) to Sam L. Jackson- everybody is at their best here. Also the directing and writing is very well done here, both majorly done by Joss Whedon. I couldn't believe how well he captured each of the characters personalities while writing the script- congratulations to a job well done Joss. One of my favorite actors in this film, who I believe stole the show is Mark Ruffalo. When I heard he was going to be playing Bruce Banner/ The Hulk I was- skeptical to say the least. However I love how he portrayed the timid and eccentric Dr. Bruce Banner, and this is definitely my favorite Hulk incarnation to date. The special effects are now at a place where they can make the Hulk seem so lifelike and real- I was amazed at how he moves just like a human being during the movie, especially during the action scenes. Speaking of the action lets move to the last of the "Big 3 Amazing Things of the Avengers" shall we? The action. The action was at it's finest here, especially during the Helicarrier scenes and the New York Battle. But really from the skirmish with Loki/Car Chase at the beginning to the Thor and Hulk Battle this really does showcase some of the best superhero action ever seen on the big screen. One of my favorite scenes in this movie is when Hawkeye and Black Widow face off in the Helicarrier, as we see two great agents who know each other so well duke it out. And of course who can forget the final battle? What was great about the final 20 minute battle scene is that we get to see each character do their thing. From Iron Man flying through a giant alien whale, to Hawkeye shooting behind him, to Thor creating giant electric bolts on top of the tower, each character fights with the fighting style that fits each of them best. Those are some of my favorite things about the Avengers- I could also go on and on about the excellent pacing, the underrated character development, the bright and colorful characters- but there's no point in making this review last a few hundred pages is there?

Yes there are a few things people could nitpick- you could nitpick about the plot being not so complex as some other Super Hero plots, you could nitpick about Captain America's costume, and you could nitpick about how Hawkeye spends half the movie being a goon- but I believe that even the weakness's of the movie actually becoming strengths- such as Hawkeye's changing allegiances creating one of the largest character arcs of the film- really there is very few things to complain about here.

In conclusion I found The Avengers to be everything I wanted in a superhero film. Explosive, dynamic, humorous, exciting, and pure fun. Excitement abounds on each scene of this enthralling superhero film. Seriously if you haven't seen the Avengers yet, give it a chance. You won't be disappointed.

5 out of 5 stars
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I used the MPA. \:D/

And finally saw it. It was actually pretty good. Not the greatest movie ever since it was basically all build up for the first half, and then BOOM SMASH BOOM for the next half. Still it's a super hero movie, so that's expected. Although, can anyone confirm who that villain was in the credits?
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Thanos.