The Avengers

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Metal15
Tallying up

Post by Metal15 »

I haven't seen it yet, but I'd sure like to.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I really didn't know what to expect from this movie going in. All the others so far I either already knew the plot, or at least knew the main idea, but all I knew about this one was everybody got put into the same movie and teamed up for some kind of massive battle. I was very interested to see how it was done, because I didn't think it should be able to work, too many characters, but everyone says it was the greatest superhero movie ever so it must have.

I liked it quite a bit, but it took me a little by surprise. It wasn't as action packed as I expected from all the superpower it had crammed into it. A lot happened on the screen, but that much didn't really happen in the movie, if you know what I mean. That is, there were a lot of scenes, but the actual story could be summed up rather briefly. That means most of what happened were scenes that took a long time to watch play out, but in the narrative didn't actually do much. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; this isn't a complaint it's just an observation. I just felt like I expected something 'more', but I'm not quite sure what.

I had thought the whole movie was going to be like the end, the Avengers fighting together against the bad guys, that's why I didn't know how they could make it work with so many, but instead most of it was actually them fighting amongst themselves. 'Here's Thor and Iron Man going at it, now here's Thor trying to get the Hulk under control, now Black Widow and Hawkeye are fighting to see if the mind control can be broken', it sort of divided the movie into sections until they finally all teamed up as one force for the final battle. Which was why it worked. The Battle of New York was absolutely great, but it couldn't have lasted the whole movie, or really even much longer than it did, without causing an overload from the abundance of characters. The way it was done was just perfect.

And that group shot was amazing. I had to make a sig from it.

One thing that irritated me though was that they never really explained how Loki is still alive or why Thor isn't still stuck in Asgaard. Sort of a literal deus ex machina, since they're gods.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I thought they kind of blew an opportunity in Thor 1 to just have it end with Thor stuck on earth... seemed a good enough lead in to Avengers, instead of him wanting to be on Earth... Hey, Avengers time, he can go! Wait, he has to go back! Then begin Thor 2 with him wanting to be on earth again. I assume Loki survived just due to general trickery, although I forget what happened to him in Thor 1... fall off the Skittles bridge or something?

It really was a good balancing of characters, though. On repeated viewings it does all get a little tedious until the finale, though... at least for me... but I'm not really someone who rewatches things very much. The while battle of NYC climax was great, though. ...and you get to see Thanos in the end credits, who shows up again in GotG. \:D/

I think Cap's suit was dumb looking, though. Wish he just had his WWII one. They made it cool again in Cap 2. I give that a pass though because this was easily the best Hulk has ever looked.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader wrote:I assume Loki survived just due to general trickery, although I forget what happened to him in Thor 1... fall off the Skittles bridge or something?
Yes he did, into the presumably endless abyss. He briefly alluded to his survival, because they couldn’t just not address it, but all I got was that the Chitauri somehow rescued him in some vague way so he could enable their invasion.

Thor’s situation was likewise addressed in the briefest of allusions possible; all it was was someone, I believe Loki, saying something about how much power it must have taken Odin to transport him back to Earth with the bridge broken. So I assume he used one of the ‘other ways’ Loki mentioned in the Thor movie, but it doesn’t explain what that means or how it was done at all.

I honestly didn’t notice Cap had a different suit than before. :anxious:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: I honestly didn’t notice Cap had a different suit than before. :anxious:
Yeah, I can't say that I noticed either. Now I want to watch the movie again. You know, for research purposes, just in case Top is lying to us. ;) Someitmes I think that I like the Avengers movie too much.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

*merged thread "My Avengers review"*

latest video! like and subscribe :)
(sorry I can't embed for the life of me)

Antman was here.
Last edited by Shennifer on Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Till the end of the line.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for sharing your review, Shennifer! I agree that Avengers is better than Age of Ultron, but it sounds like you might be getting around to that later. Plus all the excitement over the Civil War trailer! \:D/ You're definitely a bigger fan than me, but I'm looking forward to it too.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Yeah, I will eventually be making an Age of Ultron video (after I've made all the ones leading up to it of course :) ) and yes, I am excited for Civil War \:D/

Till the end of the line.