Anne McCaffrey's works

Discuss, ask about her writings.

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Firewitch
I'm fifteen, mom!

Anne McCaffrey's works

Post by Firewitch »

I've read quite a few of her books and enjoyed them a lot. Perhaps my favorite type is her brainship books (The ship that sang, the ship that searched, the city that fought, etc.) The books present a fascinating idea in a way that makes it seem real and interaction between the characters is entertaining while being realistic as well. She does a very good job of forming an emotional link between her characters and her readers.

*note* These are solely my opinions and are free to be disagreed with and discussed at any length. I will not take offense at being disagreed with (if I do anyone has license to splash me with a large amount of cold water to bring me to my senses) and welcome polite discussion of your likes and dislikes of and about her writing.

*~Firewitch~*

PS I'll be out of contact until next week. :-# So go ahead and start posting and I'll get back to you all when I can. :D
Firewitch
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by Firewitch »

So nobody's even read her books?
*looks sad*

*~Firewitch~*
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Didn't Anne McCaffrey write those Dragonsong, Dragondrums...etc...books? I liked those. A nice fantasy world. Okay morals. Nicely developed characters. They were good books. (But, then again, I only read them because a friend of mine made me.)
Firewitch
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by Firewitch »

Those are in her Dragonriders of Pern series. Also included are "Dragonflight," "Dragonquest," "The White Dragon," and more. There are also some anthologies (several books in one binding), "The Dragonriders of Pern"(which has the three I mentioned), "The Harper Hall of Pern"(which has the ones you mentioned in addition to Dragonsinger), at least one collection of shorts (Get off the Unicorn), and more. She is quite a prolific writer.
The Pern series may be her most well known series, but she does have several others. She has one about people with paranormal (Telepathic,telekinetic,precognitive,empathic, etc.) abilities (starting with either "The Wings of Pegasus"Or "To ride Pegasus") She also has a couple different series' in (or perspectives on) one universe: a shellperson(or Brainship) series (1st book, "The Ship Who Sang"), Crystal Singer series (1st book, "Crystal Singer"). She also has a fascinating series which I can't think of any way to sum up that starts with "The Ireta Adventure" (Actually two books in one binding I think.)

*~Firewitch~*