John Carter

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

John Carter

Post by EvangelineWalker »

Ever heard of John Carter series by Edgar Rice Burroughs ( who wrote Tarzan)? I hadn't until last year, and I have been reading them for free on my iPad (since they are now in public domain, the first one written in 1911). Apparently a lot of people including George Lucas have been inspired by those books. Anyway there is a new movie coming out in March 2012. Here is the trailer:
http://youtu.be/6Rf55GTEZ_E

Here is the link to the book at Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/ ... es=1441331

They are really cool books if you like action and science fiction adventure.
Last edited by EvangelineWalker on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I've never read the books, but I'm excited about the movie because it's being directed by Andrew Stanton.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

I have heard of John Carter! I read the books at the library first, and then I heard them again from librivox.org (a site where people volunteer to read public domain books check it out!). I think the movie looks really cool. I thought that Tars Tarkas looked even better than I imagined.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Woah, this looks cool. :yes:

I've been looking for super old sci-fi. It's much better than the new stuff, imo. \:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The movie looks like Attack of the Clones meets Avatar, and little else.

In other words, EPIC, but not very original. I'm sure I'll see it on DVD.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, I'm curious how much it follows the books, and how much its "modernized" or whatever. Maybe Tarzan will have a cameo, though! \:D/
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I'm really hoping the movie doesn't seem derivative, though it might be hard considering that the book has inspired a lot of material. Even so, I hope that it stays close to the book. So far, the dialogue does seem kind of cliche, but it looks good overall so hopefully it will live up to my expectations! If not, oh well.

-- 24 Feb 2012 01:38 pm --

Here is the extended scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xBaGv5b ... ure=colike

What do you think?
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

That was a good book. Scene looks great.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.