The Hobbit: That Christopher Tolkien Did Not Like

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

When you have the time, I believe the extended editions are well worth watching. (The extended Desolation of Smaug is not out yet, but An Unexpected Journey is.) I always prefer to watch those instead of the original theatrical version, and I especially recommend the extended Lord of the Rings because they're just amazing. The added footage is spectacular.
Last edited by Aeva on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Aeva wrote:I especially recommend the extended Lord of the Rings because they're just amazing. The added footage is spectacular.
Definitely agreed. I've only seen the extended version of The Fellowship of the Ring, but that was much more amazing and meaningful than the theatrical one.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh, I thought the second one was out for some reason. Good, I'm not as behind as I thought then.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

So I got my hands on the extended Desolation of Smaug, but I haven't had time to watch it yet. :(

On another note, have any of you listened to "The Last Goodbye" yet? It's the end credits song by Billy Boyd, and I'm going to be a sobbing mess by the end of The Battle of the Five Armies.
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

New trailer:

I like how they try to make you think Gandalf is going to die, lol.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Of course, maybe he will. :shock:

LOTR GANDALF IS A CLONE.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Or maybe it was Gandalf the Gray, then Gandalf the Grey, then Gandalf the white! :o
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Looks good! I am definitely looking forward to seeing this movie. I read the book (for the first time) right after seeing the second movie, but I feel like I should read it again before seeing the third one. I know that there are lots of changes, but I have enjoyed both the book and the movies.
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I really can't wait for it. It looks pretty similar to the book.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Well, I think I'm going to get my wish to see Saruman turn. \:D/
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Blitz wrote:I really can't wait for it. It looks pretty similar to the book.
If only. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Yeah, after all the drastic changes, I'm curious to see how Peter Jackson brings it to a close.

If Thorin doesn't say his famous line, I will hurt somebody. :x
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

I just saw The Battle of Five Armies early as part of a Hobbit movie marathon. :D The newest one was amazing, even for someone who didn't like the first two movies as much. I'll wait to post the parts I loved/disliked until more people have seen it.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I'm dead.

Peter Jackson took my soul.
Last edited by Aeva on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, Aeva. ;) Do you care to elaborate on that statement?

T.S., it's good to hear that somebody liked it already! I probably won't see it for a week or two or three (it took me a month to see the second one in theatres) :anxious: but I am looking forward to it!
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Aeva wrote:I'm dead.

Peter Jackson took my soul.
Was it Kili and Tauriel? That was one part I disliked, but I really couldn't see their relationship working, so I wasn't disappointed. I do have to say that I was quite surprised with Tauriel's ending.
Haha, Catspaw. I saw the second one months after it came out, when I was sick. I assume that's why I didn't remember most of the plot. :p
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Oh, I will gladly elaborate. \:D/ Well sort of, I still can't quite put all my feelings into words.

Despite the main plot line that I quite frankly despised...
A love triangle? Really? >_> I wanted to throw up when she kissed Kili at the end. Like, a kiss on the forehead would have been marginally tolerable, but right on the lips?! I mean, come on.
I absolutely love these films. The scenery, the characters (of course lol), the interaction, Thranduil ( :inlove: Dat smirk, tho.)... Peter Jackson took my soul, but I'm too in love with his adaptation to mind.
Last edited by Aeva on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I loved the third one far more then the first two. I almost despised the first two because of all the unnecesary additions to the story. I felt as if the third one was accurate enough for me to actually enjoy. It also felt as if there was almost no plot. And was mostly just fighting the entire time without any story surprises.
The whole Tauriel/Kili is really digusting. I completely occur about the kiss at the end. Went WAY too far and after he was dead!? Really!!? I have been disgusted by this whole element of the movies from the beginning.
The wizard battle was SO EPIC! That was probably my favorite part of the entire set of movies besides the barrel scene.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Aeva wrote:
A love triangle? Really? >_> I wanted to throw up when she kissed Kili at the end. Like, a kiss on the forehead would have been marginally tolerable, but right on the lips?! I mean, come on.
I absolutely love these films. The scenery, the characters (of course lol), the interaction, Thranduil ( :inlove: Dat smirk, tho.)... Peter Jackson took my soul, but I'm too in love with his adaptation to mind.
Yeah, I actually (mostly) liked the movie portrayal of Thranduil. Thorin and Bard were also really well done in the third movie.
Yes, the love triangle was unbelievable, especially the kiss. Also, I'm not sure, but was Kili speaking Khuzdul to Tauriel? And my best guess is that the stone he gave her was his Dwarvish name. It just doesn't work in Tolkien's universe, at all.
Jehoshaphat wrote:I loved the third one far more then the first two. I almost despised the first two because of all the unnecesary additions to the story. I felt as if the third one was accurate enough for me to actually enjoy. It also felt as if there was almost no plot. And was mostly just fighting the entire time without any story surprises.
The whole Tauriel/Kili is really digusting. I completely occur about the kiss at the end. Went WAY too far and after he was dead!? Really!!? I have been disgusted by this whole element of the movies from the beginning.
The wizard battle was SO EPIC! That was probably my favorite part of the entire set of movies besides the barrel scene.
I agree that the third one was improved. Thank goodness there weren't any major plot deviations that we weren't already expecting.
I wish that they had included more of the White Council. I don't know of any official list of who was in it, but I would expect more of Elrond's house, Glorfindel, Celeborn, and maybe even Cirdan. It's understandable, since they didn't get any previous time in the movies, but it would have been even more amazing. It would have been nice if Radagast had stopped riding around on his rabbit sled for once, though.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I sort of liked it. o.O

Who signed off on Alfred getting 10 times as much screen time as the entire Dol Guldur plot and reason for the third movie?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.