Is music bad?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.

Should I delete my secular music?

Yes
6%
No
59%
Maybe
35%

Total votes: 17

Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Is music bad?

Post by Anna><> »

I was reading this one website and it basically said CMT was of the devil and causes divorces and all sorts of bad stuff. Now I've been listening to country music for a few years and I know that not all of it is good, but this site got me to start questioning whether I should listen to it, or any other secular music at all. The site was extremist but it had some convincing arguments. Now I'm just left here wondering if I should delete all the music off my iPod or not. What do you guys think? Should I delete it all or not? If I delete it I'll have plenty of aio, dgl, and podcasts to listen to. I just like some of it for working out with but if God is against it I'll delete the music.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

It's not so much a matter of starkly designating between secular and non-secular, but about the attitudes and lyrics of each individual song. There are plenty of harmless non-Christian songs, and there are also plenty of ungodly Christian songs. So go through all your songs and ask yourself, "What message is the artist trying to put across? Is it uplifting?" and decide what should stay and what should go. That's my advice.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

That is your decision to make, but this website sounds extremely fraudulent, and I would not let one encounter change your thought pattern. It's like food, someone might like apples, but one time they accidentally eat a bad apple. Do they stop eating apples? Probably not. I wouldn't let it bother you unless you feel God is leading you to delete all your "non-Christin" music, which I highly doubt he is.

@Amelia, in most music there are redeeming qualities, if not in the lyrics, there usually is in the music itself, although sometimes there is complete rubish (in my opinion).

Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I don't think you're doing something wrong, by listening to country music, I mean there is some bad country out there, but theres also some great country songs with good lyrics, or a great message or something. Unless you feel God telling you to delete it all, and if so, thats a different matter. But if not, I don't think you're doing something wrong. One song that my mom really likes is Temporary Home, which is a Carrie Underwood song. Great song :)
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I don't think the question so much needs to be one of Christian v. Non-Christian, but rather a look at the messages being presented in the music itself as well as the content and merit of the music overall. Some so-called "Christian" music is so stylistically and lyrically similar to secular music (think metal, rap, R&B, etc) as to be practically indistinguishable. On the other hand a lot of so-called "secular" music (jazz, classical, folk, country, world, electronic, etc) can be much more uplifting and musically worthwhile than slapping some Christian lyrics over a cacophony of noise. So I would kindly suggest ditching the preoccupation with lables (and perhaps taking those who advocate that with a grain of salt) and looking instead to the content of the music itself when you are deciding whether a song is worthwhile to listen to or not.

Look to the music that has survived for generations. In 100 years are people more likely going to be listening to and appreciating CCM or Tchaikovsky? Which one is "secular?" Does it matter?

But that's just my opinion. ;)
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

It all depends on the songs, like Amy said. If the songs don't promote bad values or inappropriate themes I don't see any reason to delete it even if it isn't necessarily promoting Christian themes. However if you are listening to songs with some bad values there is that Garbage In Garbage Out concept. What you take in is what you will be thinking about and probably ultimately what you will be sending out. So that's my thoughts. If it's not inappropriate, or explicit, or something like that I say keep it on.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

A song can be made by a Christian group and yet be just like any kind of secular music, or it could be made by a non-Christian group and be moral, or just fun to listen to (take Rent's Seasons of Love). Now, a lot of country music can be about drinking and gambling--seems every time I listen to it, that's what's on; I got Kenny Roger's The Gambler stuck in my head--but ultimately, it's your choice. Does it glorify God, I'd ask myself. Music istself is not bad, it's what people make out of it.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

If it has a drum beat, delete it. It summons demons and causes lust.
God's Daughter
Not Implemented

Post by God's Daughter »

Gaius wrote:A song can be made by a Christian group and yet be just like any kind of secular music, or it could be made by a non-Christian group and be moral, or just fun to listen to (take Rent's Seasons of Love). Now, a lot of country music can be about drinking and gambling--seems every time I listen to it, that's what's on; I got Kenny Roger's The Gambler stuck in my head--but ultimately, it's your choice. Does it glorify God, I'd ask myself. Music istself is not bad, it's what people make out of it.
=D> I agree!
Image]
My Online Family! \:D/
Sky, is my twin. ^_^
Lee, is my cousin.
I'm KF's awesome sister and he's my equally awesome brother!
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

The Top Crusader wrote:If it has a drum beat, delete it. It summons demons and causes lust.
There goes my 1k iTunes list. :(
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

The Top Crusader wrote:If it has a drum beat, delete it. It summons demons and causes lust.
Top I just got in trouble for deleting all my mom's Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber... why you trying to get me trouble? :(
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Termite wrote:
And here comes a bunch of boring classical. It helps drive the demons away :yes:

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Gaius wrote:
Termite wrote:
And here comes a bunch of boring classical. It helps drive the demons away :yes:
Classical music isn't boring (in fairly small doses, it's actually beautiful. To me anyway :-

Till the end of the line.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Shennifer wrote:
Gaius wrote:
Termite wrote:
Classical music isn't boring (in fairly small doses, it's actually beautiful. To me anyway :-
Hah! Some of it is, but when it goes on and on and on. .it's not the best ;)

Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Shennifer wrote:
Gaius wrote:
Termite wrote:
I agree, It's nice in small doses, but after a while it can get kind of repetitive :-
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

It's not necessarily bad. But if you start listening to songs that cuss and have inappropriate lyrics, well yeeeaahhhh that's obviously not good. =; Classical, Coutnry, Rock 'N' Roll, and Pop, those are all fine. As long as cussing and inappropriate lyrics aren't involved with them. :shame: And nobody should listen to music about singer's making fun of Jesus/God or Christianity, I mean, I don't know about you but when I listen to people like that it just makes me angry. :evil: I get angry easily, I guess. :?
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Gaius wrote:A song can be made by a Christian group and yet be just like any kind of secular music, or it could be made by a non-Christian group and be moral, or just fun to listen to (take Rent's Seasons of Love). Now, a lot of country music can be about drinking and gambling--seems every time I listen to it, that's what's on; I got Kenny Roger's The Gambler stuck in my head--but ultimately, it's your choice. Does it glorify God, I'd ask myself. Music istself is not bad, it's what people make out of it.
But... the gambler's not actually about gambling. It's more of a metaphor.

I don't like CCM or classical music at all!! I hate classical. I was forced to play classical piano and go to hours of recitals and classical concerts by orchestras and stuff and I HATE IT SO MUCH. I basically only listen to music so I have a rhythm to bike or to at the gym or to block all the annoying people at my school out of my head when I'm doing homework.

I think Top's right though.

But Amythestic is more right...
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I'm with Amythestic. And I dislike classical as well!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

BobbyCow wrote:It's not necessarily bad. But if you start listening to songs that cuss and have inappropriate lyrics, well yeeeaahhhh that's obviously not good. =; Classical, Coutnry, Rock 'N' Roll, and Pop, those are all fine. As long as cussing and inappropriate lyrics aren't involved with them. :shame: And nobody should listen to music about singer's making fun of Jesus/God or Christianity, I mean, I don't know about you but when I listen to people like that it just makes me angry. :evil: I get angry easily, I guess. :?
Okay, here's a question about the singer making fun of Jesus/God or Christianity. What if listening to say, Bad Religion's music helps you understand what you believe? What if someone questioning your faith makes you want to deepen it all the more? This can happen.
he/him | a little stinker.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

If you hear it by accident, that's one thing, but why should you repeatedly listen to anti-Christian garbage? If we talk about the music we listen to, it can only be assumed that we're talking about what we listen to on a regular basis. Why would we listen to trash with the excuse of, "Oh, it's just making my faith stronger by making me question it"? You can be forced to think critically about your faith by listening to people at a public school; you don't need Bad Religion or whatever to do that for you.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog