My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Young&Mighty
Pilgrim

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Post by Young&Mighty »

Personally, I'm a big fan of the show. Completely different from the old series and somehow extremely hilarious :lol:

Here's an episode for you to watch before judging it.

EDIT: I forgot to add the fact that I liked the new animation graphics and morals learned.
"Adventure is Out There"

~Charles Muntz from "Up"
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Evil Brony putting tv show topics in the wrong forum. :noway:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This amazing thread has been moved to the Harlequin Theatre! \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

We don't pay for cable anymore = no more Hub = no more ponies. :( or maybe :D
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Young&Mighty wrote:Personally, I'm a big fan of the show. Completely different from the old series and somehow extremely hilarious :lol:

Here's an episode for you to watch before judging it.

EDIT: I forgot to add the fact that I liked the new animation graphics and morals learned.
You're 19 and you like My Little Pony?

\:D/
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

19 year old guys watching My Little Pony is cool. :yes:
Last edited by Buzz on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Lee wrote: You're 19 and you like My Little Pony?
There is a pretty big contingent of My Little Pony fans who are guys in high school and college. They are called Bronies and rule over large portions of the internet. :(
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

The Top Crusader wrote:
There is a pretty big contingent of My Little Pony fans who are guys in high school and college. They are called Bronies and rule over large portions of the internet. :(
Whoa. :shock: This is very odd...

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Lee wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:
Not really. ;) I know lots of older people who like little kid things.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I had a purple My Little Pony lunchbox and thermos when I was little. :inlove: *fond memories*
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Young&Mighty
Pilgrim

Post by Young&Mighty »

Personally, I was quite judgmental of the show myself before I started watching it. I cringed at the theme song and skip it every time I watch a new ep, but other than that, it's awesome. Way better than the previous generations.
"Adventure is Out There"

~Charles Muntz from "Up"
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

BobbyCow wrote:
Lee wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:
Not really. ;) I know lots of older people who like little kid things.
...and I am one of them. ;) Except I'm not sure whether that counts. I'm only 15...

Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

A little history about the franchise in the medium of animation, for reference:
Once upon a time, there were My Little Pony dolls. You can thank a designer named Bonnie Zacherle and the toy company Hasbro for that. They had soft, brushable manes, cute little marks on their flanks, and tremendous appeal to little girls.

Then, in the early 1980s, someone decided to make a TV special to promote the line. It's all sugar, rainbows, laughter and a gentle female chorus for the first two and a half minutes, and then horrible dragons descend from the sky oh what.

In time, there was a cartoon series. It was an odd mix of cutesiness, adventure, rainbows, and finding ways to respond to horrible threats to Ponyland every other week. Bigger fans than I can give you more on the details if you're interested.

It was followed by another cartoon series called My Little Pony Tales, much of which can be described as an animated quarter-hour sitcom centering around middle schoolers except they are ponies. (I've gotten the impression that this somehow left the biggest mark on how the cartoons are perceived.)

Meanwhile, the ponies moved on to a second "generation" of dolls. You might think that they would match up with Tales, but they didn't actually have a cartoon series based on them. Weird. Come to think of it, Transformers did the same thing.

Around 2003, "Generation 3" sprung up, and with it came a series of animated movies (mostly in the 45-to-60-minute range) which... well, they were cutesy, simple, I understand that they were popular with the female 3-8 age group...
...and now this is happening.

In late 2010, a cartoon called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic premiered, along with a cable channel called the Hub, "Generation 4" of the toys, and...

You know what, I could try to describe what sets it apart from the rest of the pack, and I probably will at some point in the thread. However, if you think that you have room for the ponies in your life, I recommend that you look up the first episode, "Mare in the Moon", and draw your own conclusions. (I wouldn't normally suggest this, but the show's own creator linked viewers to a pirated video of the first episode on Youtube "in case you don't get the Hub", and that seems to have worked out pretty well.)
Last edited by Caswin on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I've watched a couple of episodes, and this show is actually quite entertaining. :- My cousin, a self-professing female Brony, also explained the cheerfully authoritarian nature of Princess Celestia's reign, the pony race's enslavement of bovine-kind, and the previous war between the unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies. :yes: I find myself increasingly fascinated with pony society.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I find it so weird that I just got back from a church retreat where I became good friends with a female brony who draws them obsessively and then I discover this thread.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Amethystic wrote: female Brony
They are called pegasisters when they're girls.

I know this guy who's a total brony. He has a sketchbook and 95% of his drawings are of those ponies! I'm not even kidding. He started this sketchbook in like January and that's all he's drawn. I, personally, think it's weird, but to each his own.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Wow, I thought the "brony" thing was a joke when it was first posted above, but no. The Bronies just got their own 4chan board a couple days ago. Creepy. I'll have to find the MLP/Big Lebowski episode. (I didn't post a link to the article I found about it due to language. And, well, the language in the original movie itself.)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Lee wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

darcie wrote:Wow, I thought the "brony" thing was a joke when it was first posted above, but no. The Bronies just got their own 4chan board a couple days ago. Creepy. I'll have to find the MLP/Big Lebowski episode. (I didn't post a link to the article I found about it due to language. And, well, the language in the original movie itself.)
AIO need a 4chan board. :(
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

The Top Crusader wrote:AIO need a 4chan board. :(
Adventures in Odyssey desperately does not need a 4chan board.

In case anyone doesn't know, 4chan is a very large message board (or, more specifically, "image board") that has long since become infamous for being a sort of breeding ground for the worst the Internet has to offer. It does other things, but that kind of thing stands out.

...and I thought My Little Pony got their own 4chan board at least a year ago. They actually have an interesting history together. A surprising number of people credit 4chan with making the new cartoon so popular to begin with.
Last edited by Caswin on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...