My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

'My Little Pony' IS 4chan.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Caswin wrote:...and I thought My Little Pony got their own 4chan board at least a year ago.
Know Your Meme says otherwise.
The result was that on February 16th, 2012, moot created the /mlp/ board, otherwise known as Pony,[41] on 4chan with an acknowledgement that it was time that they had their backs turned to “one of the biggest subcultures in 4chan history” and that they were “giving the ponies the home they deserved from day one”.
The Top Crusader wrote:AIO need a 4chan board. :(
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

darcie wrote:Image
He did.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Jelly wrote:
Lee wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:
Lee wrote: You're 19 and you like My Little Pony?
There is a pretty big contingent of My Little Pony fans who are guys in high school and college. They are called Bronies and rule over large portions of the internet. :(
Whoa. :shock: This is very odd...
Nope! ;)

\:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Adventures in Odyssey > My Little Pony

VeggieTales > My Little Pony

Dora THE EXPLORER > My Little Pony
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

American Eagle wrote:Adventures in Odyssey > My Little Pony

VeggieTales > My Little Pony

Dora THE EXPLORER > My Little Pony
You watch Dora?

\:D/
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Let's analyze that.
American Eagle wrote:Adventures in Odyssey > My Little Pony
You're comparing a realistic Christian radio comedy-drama to a secular cartoon (with an elaborate internal mythology) about magical, brightly-colored sapient equines. You'll need more math than a "greater than" symbol to properly compare them.
American Eagle wrote:VeggieTales > My Little Pony
This is at least a closer playing field. Both are animated, both are silly, both purport to teach moral lessons with a comparable amount of silly songs and self-aware humor, not to mention the stakes that are sometimes involved... come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if they shared a writer or two.

Which one is "greater"? The little ponies may be little ponies, but the cast of vegetables are vegetables. In fact, these ponies have been known to eat vegetables for lunch. By that standard, the ponies are probably the greater of the two. I'll admit that they haven't met the likes of Larryboy (and his super-suction ears) yet, but given Larryboy's track record, I wouldn't expect that to make much of a difference.
American Eagle wrote:Dora THE EXPLORER > My Little Pony
Dora the Explorer has probably taught basic Spanish to more children than My Little Pony. My Little Pony, however, has catchier, more complex songs. (Not to mention stories.)

You emphasized "THE EXPLORER". A trip to Wikipedia to confirm just what kind of "an explorer" she is turns up... very little about her personal life. If it's a question of exploration, while I don't think it's fair to judge them about something that is the explicit specialty of one show or another, any more than you could say "Dora the Explorer < My Little Pony: Friendship IS MAGIC" and call My Little Pony the winner due to its higher emphasis on the magic of friendship, by that barometer, I am forced to concede that the ponies must come off worse, as they rarely explore beyond their home, albeit with good reason. It's dangerous out there.

What's Dora doing exploring the woods unattended with all these talking animals, anyway?

Wait a minute... talking animals... silly songs out of nowhere... occasional bursts of magic...

I propose that these two shows share a funky, funky universe. Ergo, at the least, My Little Pony = Dora the Explorer.
Last edited by Caswin on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Okay. If you're defending this show...you're taking it too seriously. Stop watching.
he/him | a little stinker.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Steve wrote:Okay. If you're defending this show...you're taking it too seriously. Stop watching.
See, I'm hearing the words, but I can't see how any of your points connect to each other. Explain! :-$

Or else I may be forced to propose a corollary: That you take the opinions of other people too seriously without taking any time to understand them. Example: If you had actually read my post before replying to it, you would have seen that its tone was not remotely serious.
Last edited by Caswin on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Steve wrote:Okay. If you're defending this show...you're taking it too seriously. Stop watching.
Dude. Caswin is clearly a legit Brony. Pay some respect.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Woah... Caswin just won the internet.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

The hacking group anonymous originated through 4 chan board......

But really we don't need a 4 chan board... especially not in a very conservative board this one... absolutely no >_>.

And this certain series is very big with the anime community, I was surprised. I even see guys wearing a pink "My Little Pony" shirts proudly out in public now. Talk about a serious "Brony".
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Caswin wrote:A trip to Wikipedia to confirm just what kind of "an explorer" she is turns up... very little about her personal life.
I think she’s just an ‘explorer’ because she goes on a journey to somewhere in each episode.
Caswin wrote:What's Dora doing exploring the woods unattended with all these talking animals, anyway?
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

bookworm wrote:He did.
Well sure, there's that. :roll: But we need new memes! That was 2006. Let's make new memories. NOW!!!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

darcie wrote:But we need new memes!
We’ve got AE’s physical maturity too.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Thank you, Caswin, for somehow managing to get the Living Tombstone remix of "Discord" stuck in my head. ;)
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

bookworm wrote:
darcie wrote:But we need new memes!
We’ve got AE’s physical maturity too.
:lol: Ah, poor AE will never live that down. Yes, yes, and Shadowpaw looks like Steven Curtis Chapman. These are ToO inside jokes, not AIO memes. If Top wanted an AIO 4chan board, they should probably be show-related, no?

Back on subject... Pony does the bunny classic...
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

darcie wrote:These are ToO inside jokes, not AIO memes.
Ah of course, I got the subject mixed. We have many ToO memes, but only Top’s is also AIO :yes:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

AIO has plenty of memes, like the popular "Taking a bath? SURPRISE GEORGE BARCLAY CONVERSATION!" etc.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

My son found this show on Netflix today and is currently watching it. He said he wanted to show his big sister, who is currently at school, but I think he's secretly a Brony. :mecry:

;)