My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
RileyTomTimothy
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by RileyTomTimothy »

darcie wrote:My kids took a quiz to see which pony they are most like. Of course, more fun is taking it again and manipulating the answers to get the pony you want. My two little crazies are most like Pinkie Pie, the older one is either Rainbow Dash or Twilight Sparkle, and I'm either Twilight or Fluttershy. Or Rarity, if I pretend I really like dressing up.

I've never really taken any of the quizzes, but I KNOW I'm most like Fluttershy and elsewhere in Equestria- Manehattan to be exact- I'm a lot like Coco Pommel in terms of personality and work ethic
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

"We don't wanna party. These ponies wanna parrr-TAY!" ~Pinky Pie

"No. I will not succumb to such fabulousness." ~Rarity

"True magic comes from within. Curses are false magic." ~Twilight Sparkle

"Then I realized, if there was such a thing as a headless horse, I could totally take him on." ~Rainbow Dash

"Dear Princess Celestia, just writing to letcha know that... I was right all along. I didn't learn anything." ~Applejack

"Well, actually, I don't hate her. I just really, really dislike her." ~Fluttershy

"We weren't going to turn her into an orange! Honest." Spike

Who else here is a brony? I know God's Girl and Underseasie and TS are (please feel free to post, you three) who else?

Topics merged. - Christian A.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

=|

I. HATE. M. L. P.

Thatisall.

*runs from the brownies*
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I wouldn't call myself a Brony, but I love MLP! My best friend is a huge fan and got me into it against my will, haha. I've seen every episode and I adore it. Twilight Sparkle is best pony. \:D/
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Metal15
Tallying up

Post by Metal15 »

Woody wrote:=|

I. HATE. M. L. P.

Thatisall.

*runs from the brownies*
*Shakes your hand* =D>
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

Metal15 wrote:
Woody wrote:=|

I. HATE. M. L. P.

Thatisall.

*runs from the brownies*
*Shakes your hand* =D>
*high-fives Woody and Metal15*

I thought you liked MLP, Woody... :-s
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Oops, i didn't realize there was already a topic on page one. Typical newb mistake.

But anyhow, MLP is actually a very charming show with characters people latch onto and love. Not to mention lovely and colorful animation with characters designed so that they're actually appealing. Rug rats, Phineas and Ferb, South Park... why have animators of today's cartoons decided the characters must be ugly and the animation bland? And no, I haven't actually watched South Park, or Family Guy and such cartoons. But really, from what I can gather, popular cartoons are going down the tubes, it's as if people have no taste anymore. MLP is a true light in the darkness.

I also like the whole brony "philosophy" if you will. That you can like things the other gender likes and not have a gay hair in your tail. Base your interests on your true personality, not on what people will think. Or on what's cool. A guy liking gal stuff is no weirder than a gal with transformers. When you you think about it, the difference between boy and girl entertainment is just companies trying to target their marketing to specifics audiences.
Doll
Found

Post by Doll »

Actually, the technical term for a female fan of the show is a Pegasister, if I'm not mistaken. And while I am a huge fan of the show, I'm not sure if I want to identify myself with the central fanbase.
IT'S BELLE/DOLL/GG - I'M BAAAAAAACCCKK!
TigerintheShadows

Pound Foolish wrote:But anyhow, MLP is actually a very charming show with characters people latch onto and love. Not to mention lovely and colorful animation with characters designed so that they're actually appealing. Rug rats, Phineas and Ferb, South Park... why have animators of today's cartoons decided the characters must be ugly and the animation bland? And no, I haven't actually watched South Park, or Family Guy and such cartoons. But really, from what I can gather, popular cartoons are going down the tubes, it's as if people have no taste anymore. MLP is a true light in the darkness.
THIS. Deranged or cheap animation is the reason why I hate most modern cartoons. It's the reason why adults think animation is for babies or for stupid people. As someone who aspires to animate, cartoons like MLP that don't have to have wild takes every other scene and don't have to insert subtle adult humor into every scene to be clever are wonderful. (Although I must disagree on Phineas and Ferb; I find that show a delight as well.)
Pound Foolish wrote: also like the whole brony "philosophy" if you will. That you can like things the other gender likes and not have a gay hair in your tail. Base your interests on your true personality, not on what people will think. Or on what's cool. A guy liking gal stuff is no weirder than a gal with transformers. When you you think about it, the difference between boy and girl entertainment is just companies trying to target their marketing to specifics audiences.
Also this. :yes: There shouldn't have to be such things as "girls' shows" and "boys' shows". Men should be allowed to like traditionally "feminine" things without being labeled as effeminate or gay—there are plenty of straight, masculine men in theatre (many of whom are more attractive for it). I think a guy who likes MLP and isn't ashamed of it and yet can keep his head screwed on straight about it is pretty cool.

What I also like about the show is that it doesn't continue to perpetuate the idea that there's only one way to be a girl—to be composed, stoic, and wiser than your male counterparts. I've never seen an intelligent female character who isn't lauded, either in-universe or out-of-universe, as the best thing EVER who is a total go-getter and is president of everything and everyone likes her. Look at Twilight Sparkle—she's one of the most intelligent characters on the show and she's very blunt and take-charge, but she's also anti-social, dorky, and prone to stressing out over minor things. That is me, to the freaking letter. I can identify with Twilight Sparkle so easily—and she is still a girl, a strong female character who doesn't have to be conventionally tough to be tough anyway.

Faust and the current showrunners have used these characters as an excellent way to show that there's more than one way to be a girl, and that we can still be dorky or awkward or weird or anti-social without being labeled as freaky loners. Rainbow Dash, who likes both sports and the occasional dress-up, tells athletic girls that it's okay to be a tomboy with a girly streak. Rarity, with her love of fashion and art, demonstrates to girls that creativity expressed through love of clothes and attention to looks doesn't have to be vain or shallow. Applejack tells girls that hard work and fair play are valuable traits, and that even if it's just a "little white lie", that doesn't make it okay to tell. Fluttershy shows girls that even though it shouldn't cripple you, there's nothing wrong with not being outgoing and brash, and that kindness and compassion can be great weapons as much as great tools. Pinkie Pie asserts to girls that there's nothing wrong with having fun and loving life, and that you can make people smile through means of true cheerfulness rather than bullying a social pariah.

The thing about MLP is that it's just a straight-up fun show. It's not happy all the time, but the moments of grit or sadness and the epic battle scenes feel real, not tacked-on for shock value. Does the show falter? Yes, absolutely; it's not perfect. But it's always going to be one of my favorites, because even in a world of candy-colored equines, it feels so real. It even feels like Adventures in Odyssey sometimes—I can listen to it and know I'm dealing with real people facing real difficulties that don't have to involve Michael Bay-worthy explosions to be entertaining.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

IrishTiger wrote:I thought you liked MLP, Woody... :-s
Where on earth did you get THAT idea? :p

I've expressed my deep and utter hatred for MLP several times. \:D/ I'm surprised you've never heard one of my rants.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

*applauds* Bravo, Miss Carnivore. Well said.

(About Phineas and Ferb, I just said the character design in unattractive. do you disagree? Really? You need a lesson in attractiveness.)
Did you know Jess Harnell is a brony? Well youuu know it now.

http://www.vocaltwit.com/3724
Last edited by Pound Foolish on Tue May 06, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Pound Foolish wrote:Did you know Jess Harnell is a brony? Well youuu know it now.

http://www.vocaltwit.com/3724
I think that mostly comes from the fact that he's very good friends with Tara Strong. I've always thought that it would be incredible if the team was able to bring Tara onto AIO through her connections with Jess. I mean, she's one of the most famous VA's out there, and EqD often posts other projects that the MLP VA's are a part of, and if that thing is a "kids'" show that actually teaches lessons maturely and in a fascinating way... it's very similar to MLP. I think that AIO could catch and reach out to a significant portion of the brony fanbase if that were to be a thing.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Sure, but it's likely more than that. After all,even if it's for Tara, it's a song more or less saying he's a fan of the show. Plus, he says he's doing it, "now I've met her bronies." How did he meet bronies? Does he just mean people who work on the show? Orrr does he mean he met bronies at a bronycon or forum? Hmmm.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

I always assumed he meant it more in the sense that he was made aware of them, and so figuratively met them in his knowledge of them. However, it's also near guaranteed that he's met bronies at conventions, as he goes to many, and so do they, and we have great reason to be a big fan of his, as appreciators of animated voice-over.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

Perhaprs your right.

We are indeed appreciators of animated voice-over. *shake* Though to be honest, I've never watched much of Animainiacs, unfortunately. Though I liked it when I checked it out once. I enjoy your youtube channel incidentally.

How did you like/how are you liking season four?
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I feel like I grew up on Animaniacs, but then when I looked it up recently, I saw it came on when I was a junior in high school. This may explain a lot about me. Anyway, I geeked out about Jess doing Wakko's voice when we saw him in Colorado.

I just saw a day ago that season 4 is on Netflix, and not a boring half season like last time! Which led to discussion of why she's Princess Celestia and not Queen... Apparently princesses are more commercial. :D
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Tigerintheshadows wrote:Also this. :yes: There shouldn't have to be such things as "girls' shows" and "boys' shows". Men should be allowed to like traditionally "feminine" things without being labeled as effeminate or gay—there are plenty of straight, masculine men in theatre (many of whom are more attractive for it). I think a guy who likes MLP and isn't ashamed of it and yet can keep his head screwed on straight about it is pretty cool.
I would just like to extend you a formal welcome to feminism where we fight against those societal structures and systems that reinforce the arbitrary gender roles you mentioned above. The ones that force men and women into boxes of what is and is not "appropriate" for their gender, including the kinds of TV shows they are "allowed" to like and toys they are "allowed" to play with. :wave:

\:D/
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Kait wrote:
Tigerintheshadows wrote:Also this. :yes: There shouldn't have to be such things as "girls' shows" and "boys' shows". Men should be allowed to like traditionally "feminine" things without being labeled as effeminate or gay—there are plenty of straight, masculine men in theatre (many of whom are more attractive for it). I think a guy who likes MLP and isn't ashamed of it and yet can keep his head screwed on straight about it is pretty cool.
I would just like to extend you a formal welcome to feminism where we fight against those societal structures and systems that reinforce the arbitrary gender roles you mentioned above. The ones that force men and women into boxes of what is and is not "appropriate" for their gender, including the kinds of TV shows they are "allowed" to like and toys they are "allowed" to play with. :wave:

\:D/
*tosses confetti of androgynous colours into the air*
TigerintheShadows

Pound Foolish wrote:,(About Phineas and Ferb, I just said the character design in unattractive. do you disagree? Really? You need a lesson in attractiveness.)
I find many of the designs to be neither attractive nor unattractive, to be perfectly honest. For me, Phineas and Ferb has good enough design and animation that it isn't a big deal for me, especially since the rest of the show is really great. I guess I'd call it more passable than anything else. They're not aspects I'd praise about the show, but they aren't a detriment to the show, either. I only truly dislike animation when it's outright deranged, like in SpongeBob, for example—a show whose popularity I have yet to understand, and at least partially for the crazy gimmicks and wild takes. For some people, that's enjoyable and they like it, and more power to them, but that's never been something that appealed to me. Phineas and Ferb's character design aren't cute, cuddly, or bouncy like many Disney shows and movies or like MLP, but to me, that doesn't make them either good or bad. It's just a difference. So I disagree in the sense that I don't find them unattractive and ugly-looking, but this is no dichotomy—I'm not floating from one side to another on this one; I'm staying in the middle, where I so often remain. ;)
AIO tumblr sideblog
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

How are we liking season five!? (It's on Netflix at long last.) The premiere? The long-awaited Luna episode? And of course, there's the much-hyped 100th episode. So few kid's shows, so few shows period reach 100. Personally, I'd say this is a good season so far and I'm looking forward to the upcoming Rarity episode. Let's talk it up!