America's Got Talent (Season 7)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Actually, I believe the Vegas episodes were already taped awhile ago. Of course, AGT may have found out about him before then and was just not going to tell us yet...although that doesn't seem very ethical. :anxious: They should look into these stories, though, before airing them.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I wasn’t sure how far they tape in advance. If that’s the case then I’ll be interested to see what happens when he returns at the live shows. If he does.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

What stinks is that he still has talent as a singer, regardless of whether or not he lied. This is why I think they should totally get rid of the sob stories, the "talent" and "performance" should only be the factor to getting people's votes.

Anyways the performance that stood out to me for originality was this one:

Sadly he probably isn't going to win though. I don't know how much ideas he can come up with before people get bored of it.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

gunblader3 wrote:What stinks is that he still has talent as a singer, regardless of whether or not he lied. This is why I think they should totally get rid of the sob stories, the "talent" and "performance" should only be the factor to getting people's votes.
I both agree and disagree with these statements.
I actually don’t think he was very talented, I think he got by on his story. But maybe I just don’t have a taste for that kind of voice.
Either way, I completely agree the stories should be left out. This is a talent competition, that is all the people should be judged on.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

gunblader3 wrote: Anyways the performance that stood out to me for originality was this one:

Sadly he probably isn't going to win though. I don't know how much ideas he can come up with before people get bored of it.
If you've watched his Youtube videos, like I have (I subscribed to him even before he was on AGT), you'll see that he won't run out of ideas any time soon.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:I like Howard Stern. But Piers Morgan was a great judge. He was my favorite.
He’s the only one that always took judging seriously and put thought into it. Sharon is okay most of the time, but sometimes I don’t know what she’s thinking. And Howie is just a nut.
It really bugged me last season when the other two, but mostly Howie, would put acts through solely to irritate Piers. That’s so irresponsible. They should be judging on the act!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Angel wrote:Howard Sterne is such a fun relief from Pierce. :lol:
I do agree that Howard Stern is funny, but at least with Piers I think at least he was the most honest. The other two almost seemed to say yes to everything.

Till the end of the line.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

Haha, true. You do something bazaar and ridiculous then Howie votes for you. You bring on an animal and Sharon votes for you. :p

I seriously wonder about some of the acts that get through. They get all hopeful, but then the judges have to know that they can't continue much further, especially not to a million dollars.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

To clarify, the other thread was about Season 6 so current season discussion has been moved here. :)
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Has he done his second performance yet?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

My thoughts from Vegas Week:

It felt totally different than last season. It seemed much less impersonal, the judges were talking with the contestants and giving them direct reactions and stuff like that. And there was even an audience. I didn’t like any of that. I thought the point of Vegas Week was it was noninteractive auditions where you get an impression of the act without people reacting to it.

That guy with the fake soldier story didn’t go though, which I’m fine with, but the controversy wasn’t addressed at all, even a brief note, which I was quite upset with. Most people have probably heard about it by now, but it still should have been mentioned to make sure everyone knows. You can tell his part was edited after they found out, because there wasn’t any backstory on him at all, not even one word, he just performed and didn’t make it.

I thought that one comedian was going to get a second chance. They gave Dani Shay one last season when they thought she was misled in her performance, which I wasn’t too sure about, but with that precedent set I was sure this guy would be given one because he was definitely misled, and it was actually the judges’ fault. But they didn’t.

And I really, really miss Piers. There were several acts that I really want to know what his reactions would have been to them.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I pretty much have to agree with everything bookworm just said.
They/Them
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I didn't think that about Vegas week. Yeah, they had an audience but I don't think the contestants could see them....and they didn't react to the acts. I also didn't think the judges gave them much interaction, so what are you talking about?

And what's this with the guy with the fake soldier story? How do you know it's fake? ...and I'm glad he didn't go through...along with a lot of the other singers. Almost all of them were terrible.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:Yeah, they had an audience but I don't think the contestants could see them....and they didn't react to the acts. I also didn't think the judges gave them much interaction, so what are you talking about?
No, what are you talking about? The audience reacted to a number of acts. I don’t recall which ones, but I distinctly remember it happening. I believe one time they gasped at something and one time they either laughed or applauded, something positive. And there was way more interaction with the judges. They talked with some of the contestants before they performed and chatted with several afterwards. Last season the Vegas auditions were you go out, do your thing, then leave the stage. There was occasionally a brief exchange before the performance, but very few got to say anything after it. It was a very somber and serious mood. This season had some of that with some of the performers, but it was noticeably way more relaxed with several others.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:Yeah, they had an audience but I don't think the contestants could see them....and they didn't react to the acts. I also didn't think the judges gave them much interaction, so what are you talking about?
No, what are you talking about? The audience reacted to a number of acts. I don’t recall which ones, but I distinctly remember it happening. I believe one time they gasped at something and one time they either laughed or applauded, something positive. And there was way more interaction with the judges. They talked with some of the contestants before they performed and chatted with several afterwards. Last season the Vegas auditions were you go out, do your thing, then leave the stage. There was occasionally a brief exchange before the performance, but very few got to say anything after it. It was a very somber and serious mood. This season had some of that with some of the performers, but it was noticeably way more relaxed with several others.
I noticed that Howard did a lot of the talking though.
That's probably because he's a new judge.
Or, at least that's how I saw it.
They/Them
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Well, I don't remember the audience reacting..
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:And what's this with the guy with the fake soldier story? How do you know it's fake?
This guy.

After that aired the soldiers he served with said that didn’t happen which led to checking his service and medical records. None of his story is true.
Even the picture was fake! It’s really this guy.
See this article for more information and a video of an interview with him.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Oh. I never knew that.. he has issues. But all that aside, he really wasn't that good at singing.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Voting already ended a week ago, but you can check out the finalists for the YouTube auditions here: http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasGotTalent/Contest
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I hate the new stage. It’s too flashy with all those spotlights flying everywhere and that stupid swirl thing across the top, way too distracting. You can barely see the acts.