America's Got Talent (Season 6)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

America's Got Talent (Season 6)

Post by bookworm »

It’s sort of old news now, but I didn’t post about it when it was on because I only sporadically followed last season. But I just finished going through all the episodes so I’ve seen it all now, and I wanted to make this thread for some brief discussion about it. People can post their recollections if they want, and I’ll make some comments on a few of the acts that really stood out to me. (A few thoughts on the season have already been shared here.)

Other seasons: 7, 8, 9
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I've finished watching (I think) all the auditions. Now to find out who will go on from Las Vegas.

previous couple seasons, I've watched the auditions and the further rounds. It was fun to see how they got better and who got through to the next round. I have liked the people who have won the last couple years;, and the people who didn't but who got really famous anyway (Jackie Evancho, anyone?)

Till the end of the line.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

I have a Jackie Evancho Christmas CD! \:D/

I have been watching AGT for a while now. I love the show. It's funny that they say they've never seen an act before when there are hundreds of dancers and singers that audition. And I'm pretty sure they say "This is the best act I've seen all year" at least 4 times every year. :noway:

Howard Sterne is such a fun relief from Pierce. :lol:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Team iLuminate

I don’t have much to say about them, because I don’t know what to say. They are simply one of the best things I’ve ever seen; there aren’t words to describe how much I enjoy watching them. All their performances were totally different, and all were incredible. One thing I was really impressed with was how they line themselves up with different parts of their suits on and off to make those amazing appearances of being one person breaking up and then coming back together. And also how they jump to different people in different poses to make a strobe effect. Just great stuff.
Similar acts: Light Wire Theater
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

Yes, those performances were quite incredible! There is a similar group this year, though I forget their name.

It was really cool seeing the dance group from West Springfield, I don't see how they didn't make it farther.

And then I feel bad for the Dr. guy who made the chopsticks fly everywhere. I thought he was really creative.
Last edited by Angel on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Silhouettes

I thought they were a very unique and captivating act. Their performances were all very interesting to watch, but they didn’t all strike me as outstanding.
I liked the first one, it had a little story to it and the shapes they made were neat.
I appreciated the second performance, I’m sure it took work to get those outlines right, but it didn’t have the same effect to me. They just made one outline after another with no transitions. It was good, but it felt like something was missing. But I understand that one was designed to be more focused on emotion than substance, and they did that very well.
Their third performance was a big disappointment for me, I didn’t think it was impressive at all. Most of the images were just made by projection and the main focus was on a physical prop. That’s not what this group is about.
Their next performance completely redeemed themselves. They got back on track, and took it up a level. It was like their first one, having a story flowing through it, and also like their second, with them making a few outlines. They combined the two styles perfectly.
Their final performance was a bit of a letdown to me again. I enjoyed it, but it didn’t have the same feeling to it for me.
So overall I wasn’t completely blow away by them, but I definitely liked them and thought they were a very talented and entertaining group.
I also enjoyed their collaboration performance where they put together parts from all their others as a kind of highlight reel, that was pretty neat.

Similar acts: Catapult, Attraction
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I have watched a few auditions on youtube of America's Got Talent.

Dani Shay's song about Justin Bieber was really good. She really does look like Bieber but sings better then him. lol

Then I think this is the same season in which there is a girl who does impressions and comedy. I really liked her but I forget her name.

Although I don't care for the type of music POPLYFE sang, they were pretty good. Best of all they proved Piers wrong.

And as previously mentioned Team iLuminate was fantastic.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

America's Got Talent was on our tv, so I started to watch it. I stopped not a good minute into it. >_> Two of the same judges from Britain's Go Talent, but they use so much more language in America. *facepalm*

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

West Springfield Dance Team

I’m not into horror stuff at all, but somehow I found myself really enjoying their performances. I was fascinated by that rowing move in their first performance, and in all of them their movement was captivating to watch. And that main monster guy is great.

And this group totally tried to copy them when they saw the positive reaction they were getting.

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

That was rather creepy.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

I did feel bad for them that they had to perform 4 consecutive times, but I did agree with the judges when they said they were getting repetitive with the whole horror theme.
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah, but that’s what their act is. I didn’t get why the judges turned on them, it seemed really hypocritical. They wanted these guys to change it up, but they ripped the Russian bar team apart because they changed things? I didn’t find West Springfield repetitive at all. Yeah the theme was always the same, but that’s what they do, it doesn’t make sense to expect something else. The performance and story were always very different.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

So, do you know when the next season starts? And do you think it would be worth watching?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

The 7th season has already started; it just finished the wild card show and results :)

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Poplyfe

My opinion of them changed as the show went on. I thought their first performance was okay, and I liked the group, I thought they were nice, but I didn’t really care if they went on or not. They did and I saw their Vegas performance, and again I thought it was good, but I didn’t really care what happened one way or the other. But something about their third performance won me over and since then I was really rooting for them. I enjoyed all their performances, and I had a good feeling watching them. They seem like nice kids that really love to perform.

Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

*posts for bookworm*
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.

A very interesting act for me because I hardly ever get behind singers on the show, but he is one exception. I was a genuine fan of his from the start. As a Bing Crosby fan I can’t exactly come out and say I like Frank Sinatra ( ;) ) but I did hear a lot of Ol' Blue Eyes in Landau and I really loved his voice. And that’s putting his story aside. If you take that into account (which I don’t think you should do when judging the act, it should be on talent alone, but story can be considered after) he seemed like a genuine good and nice guy too.

Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

*posts for bookworm*
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Those Funny Little People

I have to mention this act just because it was such a memorable group. Not necessarily because of the group itself, but because of the fuss it caused amongst the judges. I didn’t hate the group like Piers did, but I agreed with him that they shouldn’t go on. It really upset me that Howie kept pushing them through for the sole reason to spite him, by his own admission. That is so irresponsible! You need to judge on the act and the talent.

Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I remember watching those clips and occasionally thinking about how the judges drama sometimes gets in the way of the talent being displayed