Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Trailer is up.

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Post by The Top Crusader »

Don't feel like starting threads for all the other huge Marvel news of the day from Comic Con but I loved the Winter Soldier story arc in the comics and was HOPING they would go that route in Cap 2... glad to have it confirmed. \:D/
Last edited by The Top Crusader on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I pretty much have no idea what Captain America does besides what's in the first movie, but the new subtitle rocks! (As does Thor: The Dark World).

Ignore my personal ignorance for a moment, Top, but what era do you think this movie takes place in? Modern day like The Avengers, or does he go back to his own time...?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

Yay! Cap A. Whoopee!
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

It's modern day I believe.

Isn't Winter Soldier...
Bucky?
I forget. The movie i'm most excited for is Iron Man Three. One and Two were excellent. (one more than two) so I have faith in the film.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Taps wrote:It's modern day I believe.

Isn't Winter Soldier...
Bucky?
If it is set in modern day, how could Bucky be involved? He's been dead for 70 years.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Taps

Post by Taps »

American Eagle wrote:
Taps wrote:It's modern day I believe.

Isn't Winter Soldier...
Bucky?
If it is set in modern day, how could Bucky be involved? He's been dead for 70 years.
I'm pretty sure that's what I heard :shrugs: I'm looking it up right this minute :x

Edit: AE Read this. (Warning, Spoilers)
Bucky unsuccessfully tries to defuse the bomb, and it explodes in mid-air before reaching its intended target. He will be believed to have been killed in action, as Rogers is hurled into the freezing waters of the North Atlantic.[11] Rogers' body, preserved in suspended animation in a block of ice, is found decades later by The Avengers when the Grandmaster was defeated.[12]
It was only in modern times that Captain America would learn that Bucky had a sister, Rebecca, whom he met at a veterans Christmas celebration.[13] Bucky also had one notable post-mortem appearance when the Grandmaster challenged the West and East Coast Avengers for the destruction of the universe, apparently resurrecting long-dead friends and foes for them to fight. Captain America battled Bucky, whom he defeated, and the apparitions disappeared.[14]
[edit]Winter Soldier

Bucky as Winter Soldier. Promotional art for Captain America vol. 5, #11 (Nov. 2005), by Steve Epting.
After the plane explodes, General Vasily Karpov and the crew of a Russian patrol submarine find Bucky's cold-preserved body, minus one arm. Bucky is revived in Moscow, but suffers brain damage with amnesia as a result of the explosion. Scientists attach a bionic arm, upgrading it every time technology improves.
Programmed to be a Soviet assassin for Department X, under the code name the Winter Soldier, he is sent on covert wetworks missions, i.e., missions involving assassination, becoming increasingly ruthless and efficient as he kills in the name of the state. While a Soviet agent, he also has a brief relationship with The Black Widow. The Winter Soldier is kept in a cryogenic stasis when not on missions, and as a result has aged only a few years to a young adult since the closing days of World War II. In 1968, the Winter Soldier was to kill Professor Zhang Chin, whom he had met in WWII. Unfortunately, he was pinned down by an intangible being called The Man with No Face, though he was able to escape.[15] On assignment in the United States in the 1970s, he suffers a breakdown and goes missing for days after assassinating his target.[volume & issue needed] It has also been revealed that as the Winter Soldier he aided in Wolverine's escape from the Weapon X laboratory and later murdered Wolverine's wife Itsu, seemingly killing their unborn son Daken who survived the attack after being cut from his mother's womb.[16]
In the present day, the Winter Soldier seemingly kills the Red Skull and Jack Monroe (Nomad) under orders from former Soviet general Aleksander Lukin (Karpov's former protégé). The Soldier launches a terrorist attack on Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, killing hundreds, and charges the Cosmic Cube which Lukin sent him to retrieve. He kidnaps Sharon Carter, an agent of the international espionage agency S.H.I.E.L.D. and a former lover of Steve Rogers (Captain America). Upon her rescue, Carter tells Captain America the Soldier looked like Bucky. S.H.I.E.L.D. chief Nick Fury confirms the Winter Soldier's existence, but cannot ascertain his identity.
Captain America tracks down and confronts the Winter Soldier. Upon gaining control of the Cube, he tells the Soldier, "Remember who you are". Regaining his memories, Bucky becomes overwhelmed by guilt over his past actions, crushing the Cosmic Cube and teleporting away.[17]
He reappears shortly afterward in London, England, where he helps Captain America fend off a terrorist attack. He asks Nick Fury for employment and new equipment following the loss of his bionic arm.[18] Following the events of the superhuman Civil War, the Soldier helps Fury plan the escape of an arrested Steve Rogers. Before the plan can be implemented, however, Rogers is assassinated.[19] Considering registration architect Tony Stark (Iron Man) as ultimately responsible, the Soldier plans to kill Stark in revenge. Deducing that Stark will oversee the appointment of a new Captain America, the Soldier steals Captain America's shield from S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Black Widow so that it cannot be handed down.[20] Ultimately, he heads to Kronas's headquarters, where Lukin reveals he is the Red Skull and has the evil psychiatrist Dr. Faustus attempt unsuccessfully to brainwash the Winter Soldier.[21]
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah... not sure why they didn't let Bucky hang around until the end of the film, but I assume they will just supplant him falling from the train in place of the drone thing, and say the Soviets found him. Potentially could be a good story.

And yeah, the story will be in present day... which is cool I guess, but I think there are a lot of great WWII stories that could be told. :(
Clearly the awesome thing in Marvel Comic Movie News is that finally Rocket Raccoon is coming to the big screen.
Taps

Post by Taps »

Ha- Guardians of the Galaxy \:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Top Crusader wrote:Clearly the awesome thing in Marvel Comic Movie News is that finally Rocket Raccoon is coming to the big screen.
Grr, I hope this is sarcasm. I'm fine with talking raccoons and trees existing in a Marvel film, but seriously, they better not ever team up with Iron Man or the Avengers.

EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Well they set up the guardians of the galaxy by showing thanos at the end of the avengers so who knows?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah the rumor is Guardians of the Galaxy will deal with Thanos and build up to Avengers 2. But we'll see.

It was okay in the cartoon when they were all together. >_>
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I wish they had announced a new hulk movie. :/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Top Crusader wrote:It was okay in the cartoon when they were all together. >_>
Yeah, but the cartoons don't line up with Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr.'s characters. The superheroes nowadays are gritty and realistic, so I don't want to see talking animals cussing out Thor and trying to look all cool. :anxious:

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Mike Lowery wrote:I wish they had announced a new hulk movie. :/
Eh, I think they said vaguely "yeah, we'll do another Hulk after Avengers 2". But yeah, dunno why all the others are getting sequels when Hulk stole the show in Avengers.

They announced Ant Man too, though... so yay for that. >_>
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

In thirty years we'll look back and laugh at how much hype there was over 'all those Marvel movies'.

I can't wait until they're over. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Nah, they're good, as long as they're good...they'll stick around in our memories. People even have memories of bad comic book movies...ala Val Kilmer/George Clooney batmen.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Tyler Durden wrote:In thirty years we'll look back and laugh at how much hype there was over 'all those Marvel movies'.

I can't wait until they're over. :(
As long as the comic company is around, which has already been like 70 years, I doubt the movies will go anywhere.

I wish DC would give up, though. But Superman might finally have a good movie next year.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Cap is my favorite. I'm happy.

Wasn't there speculation DC was trying to do a Justice League?
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Dread Pirate Roberts wrote:Wasn't there speculation DC was trying to do a Justice League?
According to the sum of all human knowledge, Wikipedia:
In June 2012, Will Beall was hired to write the screenplay for an upcoming Justice League film, in which Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman will be the main characters. There is currently no one signed on to direct the film nor is there any set release date, though there is consideration for release in the summer of 2014.
I'm hoping that The Dark Knight Rises is the last we see of Batman for awhile, that Man of Steel is original and great, and that we don't ever see Wonder Woman again.

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah, Batman and Superman are really all they have over there that is very marketable on their own. I think Green Lantern had boatloads of potential but that was pretty much a flop, so I doubt we'll be seeing him again soon, unless its in a Justice League movie. Although hey, Ghost Rider wasn't overly well-received and it got a sequel, so who knows?

The Nolan Batman flat out doesn't fit in with the Justice League or DC Universe in general (plus there are rumors he won't even survive the new film!). I think Green Lantern and soon Superman were made to set up more of a "DC Universe" like Marvel started with Iron Man... but they'd practically have to do yet another reboot to fit Batman in with them very well. And it seems they are doing a reverse of Marvel and other than a couple will introduce everyone in Justice League and try to give them solo movies after. Meh. I LOVE the Justice League animated series, and there are some good comics out there (although I've never read a ton of DC), but to do a Justice League movie right I think they are going to have to do a lot more building... I get the impression (especially since this was all announced a month after Avengers crushed the box office) that this is only going to be made to try to cash in on Avengers success.

Also I think a few years back they were on the verge of making a Justice League movie and somehow it didn't happen. I forget the story behind that, it was fairly recent, though.

...anyway, on topic... anyone who is a fan of Cap and interested specifically in the Winter Soldier story arc should check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-America-S ... er+soldier

It was written after I had sworn off buying comics, but a friend of mine let me borrow them. ;) Some great stuff in there. When I first heard they were bringing back Bucky after 60+ years I was annoyed and thought that was lame, but it ends up being an incredible story.