Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Trailer is up.

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

Post by Wooton Z. Bassett »

I can't wait for this movie. Hopefully it's as good as the original which in my opinion is the 2nd best Marvel movie there is.
I'm on the Soda Shop and Campbell County Message Boards.

Check out unofficialaioblog.blogspot.com/

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I put this in the original post of the topic, too... but yay for a trailer! \:D/

Obviously it's too early to really say, but the tone of the trailer makes me think I'll like this better than the first film. Definitely looks good.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Eeeeeeee! Cap!

I'm excited... he's my favorite out of all the Avengers. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Dude, this movie looks a WHOLE lot better than the first! I'm actually excited to see this one. I love the Marvel superhero movies/series. \:D/
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Can I be honest? I did not enjoyed the first Captain America movie. :shock: I felt like the backstory was weak and the character development was minimal. Frankly, those are the only reasons I watch superhero movies, and I was quite disappointed. So, I will not be excitedly waiting at the theater door to see this movie, but I may see it once it comes out on DVD, just to give Captain America another chance.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

The Winter Soldier easily became my favorite non-Batman super hero movie.

Black Widow is officially getting an invite into my Loki/Darcy (With Fitz and Simmons possibly getting parts.) movie.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Knight Fisher wrote:The Winter Soldier easily became my favorite non-Batman super hero movie.

Black Widow is officially getting an invite into my Loki/Darcy (With Fitz and Simmons possibly getting parts.) movie.
I haven't seen The Winter Soldier yet, but I'm glad to meet another Loki/Darcy shipper \:D/

and I'd love a Loki/Darcy movie. My life would be made

Till the end of the line.
Metal15
Tallying up

Post by Metal15 »

IMO, The Winter Soldier movie was MUCH better than the first movie. The first movie was just boring to me. :/
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

I still don't like Captain America, but his movies are better than the Thor movies. This second movie was great.

http://jaysanalysis.com/2014/04/13/capt ... r-is-real/
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Just saw this movie.

OH MY GOODNESS. It was amazing! A lot more exciting than the first movie! I follow the opinion that it will be hard for Marvel to top this movie. \:D/ I loved the end credit scenes too. :D
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I really liked this movie. It has a good story and good action and reaffirmed Cap as my favorite character. I'm excited to see where his story goes from here.

The Bucky reveal took me by surprise, I had never considered that fall might be survived; but then again when I watched the first movie that fall took me by surprise so I maybe should have anticipated he would be back.

Peggy's scene felt forced like ‘We have to put her in here because it would be so nice for them to see each other again’ but actually the movie didn't need her. She really added nothing to this movie, I felt in fact it took away something from the first movie. The ending and aftermath felt less meaningful when it was shown she is still alive and they're able to reunite.

I appreciate the Agents of SHIELD relationship even more now that I know all the details. That was a very impressive feat to tie the show and movie together.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I knew about Bucky before I saw the movie, but that didnt' make it any less heartbreaking.

I like the movie; it showed development of old characters and adding new ones with relative ease. I feel like I get overwhelmed by too much action sometimes, but that's just me.

I think you're wrong about Peggy not being necessary, bookworm, because the way I see it Steve is adjusting to this world, without any of his old friends around him. Peggy is still alive, and going to visit her is trying cling to what is familiar before it fades (which as we saw, she's old and has memory problems, so she won't be around much longer).
Bucky, on the other hand, is fit as a fiddle, he was just captured and brainwashed and turned into an assassin and kept relatively the same age by being frozen and re-frozen over the years. So apart from the excellent Hydra plot and all it's glory, Steve unexpectedly finds that his best friend is alive and still around the same age as he was- but he doesn't remember him and is in fact assigned to kill him (at least at first, it could be argued that Bucky was remembering SOMETHING during that moment in that final fight.)

This adds to Steve's emotional journey, it enhances the plot along with him dealing with SHIELD's secrets, Hydra's plotting, and his new friends learning to trust each other.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

To clarify, I also knew the Winter Soldier was Bucky before I watched it, but it was surprising for me when I found out a few months ago.

Yeah, I get why she was there, I just didn’t think we needed to see it on screen. Especially when it was just for one very short scene and didn’t come into play again. It was more of a distraction than a development moment, at least for me.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

After viewing GotG again last night, I think I can safely say Winter Soldier is my favorite Marvel Studios film so far.

Bucky's return has an impact on movie goers, but it was all the more stunning for comic readers... we didn't know Cap and Bucky's fate until Cap was found in 1962 and he told how Bucky died... I don't think Winter Soldier showed up until... I dunno, roughly five or so years ago? That is a pretty long absence! The joke was always that Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacey, and Bucky are the only characters that say dead in comics... I wasn't too keen on the idea of bringing him back when I first heard it, figured it was just a sales gimmick, but the story was so well done it was definitely worth it. The movie deviates a bit, but its similar overall. I want to say it was the Soviets that got a hold of him rather than Hydra, but obviously the movies want to keep focus.

Random Top ramblings about Captain America comic history:
They didn't kill off Cap and Bucky in the actual comic run in the 1940's, but after WWII interest waned and they stopped the title for a while, then brought them back a few years later in the 1950's during the red scare and suddenly the Red Skull went from Nazi to Soviet and Steve Rogers and Bucky were after him again... then that got canned pretty quick, and they brought Cap back in 1962 to join the Avengers and had him frozen since the end of the war. Eventually they figured they had to address the fact that Captain America was around in the 1950's, so they said some random dude and his buddy were just huge fans so they got plastic surgery and changed their names to be just like Cap and Bucky and take on the role, lol. Then that dude eventually went crazy and became a racist the real Captain America had to fight.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I watched Captain America 2 again yesterday, and I really do like it a lot. It's one of my favourite Marvel movies. I did like the little scene with Peggy, and I agree with Shennifer about why it's important. It just feels like the kind of thing he would do. Of course if she's alive he's going to make an effort to connect again. We also get a little insight when he says that part of the reason he stays with SHIELD is because he knows that she helped start it. I'm also perhaps a tad more sentimental than bookworm (and lots of other people) so to me it was a sweet scene that adds a bit to the character and shows us again what a great guy Steve Rogers is. I don't personally feel the need to justify it's presence beyond that.

I knew about the Winter Soldier thing for years because of Top posting stuff back in the thread for the first movie. I didn't know about how the comic book history played out, though, or else Top said it back then and I just forgot the details. ;) It's interesting to hear about all the different incarnations and how they find ways to make things work. Comic book writers are nothing if not creative! This was a great latest addition to the Random Top Ramblings About Comic Book Stuff series. \:D/
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I haven't read the comics, but it was interesting reading what Top wrote. That part about Bucky being captured by the Soviets is something I knew, and also I heard that because of that, he met Natasha when she was still working for them and they had a thing for a while.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:It just feels like the kind of thing he would do. Of course if she's alive he's going to make an effort to connect again.
Perhaps I’m not being clear, because I don’t disagree with this. Obviously once they made the decision to have her still alive he had to go see her, of course, yes. My problem isn’t that they had the scene, itself, my problem is more that the scene was possible to have. I personally felt it may have been better if she hadn’t still been alive. It would have preserved the emotion of the end of the first movie. Having her alive here and able to meet with again took something away from that for me. It’s still sad because they didn’t get to have a life together, but it’s not as sad because they do see each other again.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:It just feels like the kind of thing he would do. Of course if she's alive he's going to make an effort to connect again.
Perhaps I’m not being clear, because I don’t disagree with this. Obviously once they made the decision to have her still alive he had to go see her, of course, yes. My problem isn’t that they had the scene, itself, my problem is more that the scene was possible to have. I personally felt it may have been better if she hadn’t still been alive. It would have preserved the emotion of the end of the first movie. Having her alive here and able to meet with again took something away from that for me. It’s still sad because they didn’t get to have a life together, but it’s not as sad because they do see each other again.
I certainly get what you're saying because character death is always sad and more emotionally resonant, HOWEVER though Peggy is alive, she has memory problems now, so that makes it bittersweet. And she definitely will die at some point. She's alive, but he's still losing her.

It's almost the same with Bucky, who didn't remember Steve at all (though there was some breakthrough of some kind at the end), and is totally different from who he was because of Hydra. Steve has Peggy, but is still losing her in a sense. He unexpectedly has Bucky again, but Bucky is not the same person anymore.

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

American Eagle wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:Clearly the awesome thing in Marvel Comic Movie News is that finally Rocket Raccoon is coming to the big screen.
Grr, I hope this is sarcasm. I'm fine with talking raccoons and trees existing in a Marvel film, but seriously, they better not ever team up with Iron Man or the Avengers.
Haha, I was reading through this old thread with the intention of remembering what I said previously so I didn't repeat myself in posting again, and had to laugh when I read this post. Either AE will need to change his mind or not watch the Infinity Wars movie next year! It was fun to see what people all had to say in speculation and first reactions, plus of course I appreciated reading Top's comic expertise again. I rely on him to share all those pertinent details!

I really love this movie, and it's my favourite of all the Marvel movies, so I watched it again recently, and watched some bonus features too that I hadn't seen before, and really appreciated again how much thought and energy went into the film! The directors, brothers Joe and Anthony Russo, also did Civil War, and I think they're doing Infinity War too? Don't quote me. ;) Some films seem good when you first watch them and then fade later, but to me, Winter Solider still stands as a solid film.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Haha. I don't have time to re-read all this thread now, but I will say, and probably be repeating myself from many months ago, that Winter Solider remains my favorite as well, with Civil War being up there. Really like the Russo Brothers style.

Although since it seems Catspaw feels the same way I may need to rethink my life. :(