Man of Steel (2013's Superman)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I watched Man of Steel this evening.

Honestly, meh. I absolutely love superhero movies, but I just didn't enjoy this one at all. It felt exactly like The Avengers, Transformers, 2012, or any other of the movies where New York City is destroyed to save earth. Too much mindless action and and too little humor. My friend and I chuckled at "he's kinda hot", but only because it was awkward. That's how rare a laugh was.

(Only read the spoiler if you've seen the film.)
I enjoyed the backstory with Jor-El and General Zod, but it seemed a little weird that the 'Council' was more concerned about sentencing Zod to prison then GETTING OFF AN EXPLODING PLANET. I guess everybody has their own priorities. I don't understand why Jor-El said, "Everybody here is already dead," and then everyone waits around to die. Why didn't they just board ships to go into space? Why was the baby able to escape with plenty of time to spare? Not the parents, too?

My favorite scene is when Zod threatened Clark's mom. "How dare you think you could touch my mother?" Good stuff.

Why was Lois Lane even in the movie? They could've replaced her with a guy and I wouldn't have even felt uncomfortable. That's how little romance there was! I mean, I'm happy about the lack of sensual scenes, but the kiss at the end felt so fake and meaningless. I didn't even think they liked each other until that point.

Oh, and I hated the dog. DON'T GO BACK FOR YOUR ANIMALS. I forced myself to overlook that fact and I nearly cried when the Costner told his son to stay. Powerful. On the other hand, was that the dog that keeps Clark's mom company? If so, maybe the dad didn't die for nothing. He left his wife a companion.
I also noticed the parallels between Superman and Jesus, but I don't want my superhero to be mistaken for God. I want him to be the underdog. >_>

No hate, just indifference. C+
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

American Eagle wrote:I also noticed the parallels between Superman and Jesus, but I don't want my superhero to be mistaken for God. I want him to be the underdog. >_>
Best quote from a superhero movie review I've read in a long time. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I have had a similar indifference towards this type of movie in the past, but my indifference has grown with every new mediocre, generic superhero movie, and is now practically a hate. TRY SOMETHING THE SLIGHTEST BIT CREATIVE.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Well, I liked it. \:D/ Superman is totally hot.
Lois Lane is really lame (and I completely agree with what AE said). Moving on, I did like the scene when Clark's father dies. I know it's just a dog, but despite that fact I still felt the heart-wrenching loss when he told Clark not to save him and display his powers.
Last edited by Aeva on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I laughed 3x more during that clip than during the entire Superman movie. :(

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

That's because the Superman movie wasn't funny. :( The problem with the hyper-gritty direction that the DC superhero movies are taking (this movie and also DKR) is that they take themselves waaaay too seriously. If they would lighten up a little, become more self aware, maybe they'd be as awesome as the Avengers or the new Iron Man was.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Why do super hero movies have to be funny? :(
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

They don't have to be 'funny' per say, but a little self-awareness never hurts. ;) I mean, everyone loves Tony Stark because his dialogue is so full of delicious irony and self mockery. The Avengers was full of it. Loki: "What have I to fear?" Tony: "The Avengers." ..then, after a pause, and realizing how stupid that sounds: "..it's sort of what we call ourselves. Like, we're this team.. earth's mightiest heroes, you know." Or, Captain America: "Stars and Stripes? Isn't that a little.. old-fashioned?" "At a time like this, people might just need a little old-fashioned." ..or: "I will not stand for this! I am a god!" Bash bash bash, smash: "Puny god."

It's brilliant.

Dark Knight Rises, on the other hand, is about as self-important as they come. Same with the Superman. Like, if you step back and realize how ridiculous some of the plot devices are, suddenly the entire premise of the movie falls apart.
Last edited by jelly on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Hm. yeah. I suppose that is true. Still haven't seen Superman though...or the Avengers. :anxious:

I've only seen the first Iron Man, and I didn't really care for Tony Stark. :-
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

snubs wrote:I've only seen the first Iron Man, and I didn't really care for Tony Stark. :-
Neither did I at first, but by the time his third film rolled around I was sold. I actually think Iron Man 3 is my favorite Marvel film to date.

Watch The Avengers, seriously. You may not love it, but it is definitely worth watching.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Jelly wrote:
snubs wrote:I've only seen the first Iron Man, and I didn't really care for Tony Stark. :-
Neither did I at first, but by the time his third film rolled around I was sold. I actually think Iron Man 3 is my favorite Marvel film to date.
That's what my brother said. That the movies get better as they go. So, my opinion isn't set in stone.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I always push Avengers because... well, I'm a Marvel and specifically Hulk and Cap fanboy. ;) But yeah, I really think it had the right balance and knew it couldn't be taken too seriously. It's just... the perfect comic book movie because it knows exactly what it is and puts the comics onto the screen. TDK, etc, might literally be better made movies, but Avengers is pure live action comic book... even moreso than the Marvel films leading up to it, IMO.

...ahem, anyway... it probably deserves its own thread, but at Comic Con they just announced that instead of Man of Steel 2 we are going to get a Batman VS Superman movie or some such thing.

Of course they might bail because they have been pretty awful over at DC/WB at getting their movies out. They were going to do this same movie a decade or so ago and it never happened.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

The Top Crusader wrote:TDK, etc, might literally be better made movies,
They're not though. :(
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Jelly wrote:
Well, I don't think so, but I was trying to be diplomatic. ;)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Top Crusader wrote:
Jelly wrote:
Well, I don't think so, but I was trying to be diplomatic. ;)
He was afraid I would try to defend TDK again. ;)

jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Or Tyler would just come in here and go all Bane on err'ybody.