Revolution

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Revolution

Post by bookworm »

Discussion thread for Revolution on NBC if anyone else is going to check it out.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Has it started already? :( I wanted to watch the first night's episode...I'll be sad if I've missed it.
*insert provocative quote here*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I believe it starts next Monday.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Huzzah! I shall definitely try to tune in for the premier \:D/
*insert provocative quote here*
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Me too. The teasers looked interesting enough for me to at least check it out, especially if there are people to discuss it with like the other recent shows.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

YES. I really want to watch this... hopefully it will be good like the commercials suggest. There was an extended preview during the Olympics, and I was hooked. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

The premise sounds interesting....and the fact that power was out in the my apartment the last couple hours (it's back on now) made me realize how much I rely on electricity.

Till the end of the line.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I didn’t watch the extended preview, so I’m going into it with no real idea what to expect.

One thing has made it lose credibility for me already though. There’s one commercial that has timing so ridiculous I wonder how it made it out of the cutting room.
The dialogue is: “It's going to turn off, and will never, ever turn back on!” *two seconds later* “Your dad knew how to turn the lights back on.”
Which is it then? Seriously, you’re going to contradict yourself in the teaser? :roll:
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

You can actually watch the first episode on NBC.com right now. I haven't had the time yet though.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh, and I also don’t get why losing power forced us back into the Middle Ages. Just because we don’t have electricity, it doesn’t follow that we have to fall back to swords. :-k
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot

I thought the same thing, but I think I did see a gun or two. My guess is that bullets would be more difficult to produce with out electricity.
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I thought of that, but the people that already had some would be able to use them. But then, the series does start some time into the blackout, so maybe they were almost gone by then I guess.
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot

I just sat down and watched this (instead of studying :- ). There are a good number of guns, but it looks like the militia has all of them. It was okay, though basically if you have seen the trailer, you have seen the episode, it only adds a tiny bit of back story. Way more violent than I would prefer, I mean there are about 20-30 people killed in this episode. The story is interesting though, we'll see how it develops.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I thought the first episode was okay. It didn’t hook me too hard, but it did make me curious enough to check out the next episode.
The following are some thought I typed up while watching:
The guy put something on that flash drive in the necklace, but with no working computers I don’t know what good it’ll do, whatever it is.
I like the environment. It’s like post apocalyptic without the apocalypse.
I now get the swords thing, it’s illegal to have firearms. I should have figured that out.
Almost as soon as the show started I already didn’t like that kid Danny. What on earth was he thinking trying to pick a fight with a militia? Not only does he get his dad killed, the exact opposite of what he wanted, but as a bonus he causes a massacre of townspeople. What an idiot.
I didn’t understand why they didn’t take Charlie’s dad after all that. He was who they came for, but they apparently decided they’d just take a random kid that gave them trouble instead. I guess they probably knew the dad would die, but it was still weird that they just left him.
I didn’t expect Nate to be a traitor at all, that was a great twist.
I’m wary of these flashbacks we’re getting. I generally don’t like stories that are told that way, but there’s only been two so far so I can deal with it for now. I did appreciate the last one, showing that that guy with Miles was the dictator-to-be. Nice touch.
When the lady at the end pulled out another necklace like that I went ‘Wait a minute now’ and then I saw what it did and went ‘…well that changes things.’
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I didn't see the first episode... but JJ Abrams and Jon Favreau are both pretty awesome, and I'm a huge fan of Eric Kripke's previous work on [img]Supernatural[/img]. But I'm hearing basically a collective "meh" on this show.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The second episode opened by showcasing more stupidity.
First Charlie convinces Miles not to kill that bounty hunter. I saw that coming back to bite them.
Then that guy thinks he can outshoot a group of militia that outnumber him by at least eight. Come on man, just let them search the house and go on their way. What are these people thinking?
And then Charlie goes off on her own after Miles, that’s a good idea.
More flashbacks. Like I said before I’m really not a fan of that kind of storytelling, but so far they’ve kept them tolerable. Not overused and inserted with clear purpose I can appreciate.
Interesting spin on the resistance motif to have the United States be the rebels. It’s not just a group trying to topple another group, it’s the remnants of a whole country trying to bring that country back.
I’m curious what the deal is with the blackout. I had thought Monroe caused it to aid his rise to power, but if so then he would be able to turn it back on and they make it seem like he can’t. The rebels can, so did they cause it? I don’t think so, I don’t see a motive.
Now there’s some mystery guy and he has one of those necklaces, but he’s obviously not one of the good guys so I’m really confused.
And now Charlie’s mom is actually alive? Come on, seriously? They better have a good reason for throwing in a twist like that, just for shock value isn’t good enough.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

SOOO... its sounding like something I don't need to bother watching, then.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

^Indeed, Top. bookworm has spoken.

Till the end of the line.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I unfortunately tend to have that with every TV series I watch. The plot is rather used and has humongous holes. (Steam power anyone?) Like bookworm said the whole deal with the mother was just... poorly done. It is way to early for something like that. The only way to do that is if it's the mid-season two parter or the finale. Otherwise, just don't have her "dead". The rebels are a bunch of extremists who aren't very smart. Her uncle has huge holes in his sword play. And of course none of the bad guys can ever shoot. Charlie is a naive, emotional, bossy girl. The dad wasn't very smart. The henchmen really weren't smart to shoot him. And Danny... let's not go there. The Captain is actually okay. Talks to much, but he's a villain. Monroe actually has a pretty nice setup. Didn't divide up his territory which was a good move. Have to see more to be sure though. The show in general though, eh. We'll see.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I disagree about being too soon to bring in the mom, KF. If they’re going to do it, I would actually rather it be early on. Saving it for a late season shocker is too cliché. That said, having her be alive at all still needs to be justified by making it a major plot point. It’s too early to tell whether she is here or not.

One thing I did like about the last episode was that part about the militia member dying and having the Bible quoted at his burial. Danny scoffed, obviously finding it hypocritical, but I thought it gave good dimension to these villains instead of just having them be the typical straight up evil guys. I’m not sure if the leader’s talk about seeing themselves as the remnant or order was heartfelt or not, but if it was it’s a good human angle to throw in. They may realize that this isn’t the ideal situation, but believe that order under a dictator is better then global anarchy. I’ll be interested to see if and how that angle develops.